Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 32,247 times

Advertisements

I had a contract for the guy to put the new kitchen cabinet in my house...and here come the new kitchen but with 2 damaged cabinet...He keep Installing it...and say it gonna be ok !!! and I told him he need to replace that 2 damaged cabinet...so he could have the unpaid balance that I still owed him $300(in the total $3,700 contract)...He say the contract didnot say he has to replace another cabinet for the damaged ones....but it does say the balance due by the time the job done...and he say he gonna sue me for the unpaid balance...will s.o show me how to deal with that problem...I take all the picture of the damaged cabinet...and one more thing...when we sign the contract it say the cabinet done in 15-20 days...but it take me more than a month....
thank you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:34 PM

809 posts, read 3,570,516 times
Don't pay the balance until the damaged cabinets are fixed. It's good you took pcitures of everything. Don't sign off on the job.

Did you talk to the original contractor? What did he say? Are these guys licensed?

You'll probably have to hire another contractor to fix the cabinets and sue the original contractor for the amount it costs minus $300. But you need to give him time to fix the issue first. Maybe send a certified letter to him.

How damaged are we talking here?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Let this be a lesson to everyone. Especially those who do not take my advice and go out and buy those junk China brand formaldehyde and sulfur laden cancer causing cabinets. If the product is trash then guess what kind of Installer are they going to send to your house?

So you could not figure out how to get that double oven in 4 months ago so decided to get a whole new kitchen. Now the one you bought has to be torn out again so you dont get cancer or asthma.

That company took advantge of you. With anything in life one should educate themself before laying out all that money. If you paid in full then that idiot has zero obligation and zero motivaton to fix the broken cabinets. There are zero warranties on China cabinets. If something is broken or wrong or damaged YOU the customer has to pay to fix it. You can not buy just a replacement door as you can with any domestic cabinet company. You dont even have to buy it, it's free because it's under warranty. Now you have to purchase the entire cabinet and that cabinet takes 6 to 9 months to ship here. Replacement parts are not available.

Go pay a refinisher to fix it. It's cheaper and faster. You can also post the name of the company who sold you the cabinets on here so others in your area might by chance not get raped like you did. I wish I could tell you the rest of the truth but I would be getting myself into trouble.

You have no recourse. You are SOL.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Yes, he s licenced but 2 days after I singed the contract I find out his license was suspended by ROC... does it legally when he signed the contract with suspended license...
the damaged is noticable e th big hole at the bottom ot the wall cabinet....

Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 PM

809 posts, read 3,570,516 times
You might contact the ROC or see if their website has any helpful information on what to do. You can probably file a complaint against him, which you should do. Also, if they are a member of the BBB, file a complaint there to. When you file complaints, save a copy for your records. Save everything. Tape conversations with him, if that's legal in your state.

I doubt they will sue you over $300, but if they do, you should win if you can prove the cabinets were damaged and it cost you more than $300 to fix them.

Are you more worried about being sued or about fixing your cabinets? I'd be more worried about getting my cabinets fixed.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 PM

I am worry about being sued because I don't want to go to the court...I am asian american...you know... $300 is what I owed people and I am ready to pay him but it sound not fair, that mean I was rip-off ...the job have not been done right....I just want him to go back and fix my cabinet and get the $300... but he keep saying he do what the contract say...it say the balance have to pay in full in order to get them repair or warranty...

Old 07-17-2009, 04:51 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
This is stupid me even saying this. Maybe I did not catch where you said you own him a balance. If you do and you feel he has to fix something but wont.....then you pay him the balance minus what you feel it will cost for some one else to fix it. If after you give him the partial balance and he comes back then great, if not you still win.

I dont know what an ROA is but if it's some kind of city contractors licensing board then threaten to contact them or the local building dept to report him working without a license. In some states but not all, working without a proper contractors license is a misdemeaner.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Sounds strange???

I'm sure there is more to the story.
Something very important has been left out of the rant.
Wish we could all question the cabinet setter.

Me want cheapy, me want cheapy!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,505,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Let this be a lesson to everyone. Especially those who do not take my advice and go out and buy those junk China brand formaldehyde and sulfur laden cancer causing cabinets. ...
Hold on DesertSun. Take a deep breath and relax. Nothing was ever said that these are "junk China brand" cabinets. It is possible that those were USA made cabinets. There can be damage on those too. Depending on the size of the kitchen and the area of the country, $3700 could cover a cabinet replace job, particularly if the Solid Surface top was in good condition and was reused. Not everyone puts in the high priced moldings and optional accessories in their kitchens.

dungtran1969 - Did you deal with anyone besides the installer such as a cabinet shop when you started planning this project, and if so, did they help you connect with the contractor who installed the cabinets? If so, they may be able to help you get this resolved. Most cabinet dealers do not want to get a reputation of recommending shoddy contractors and will help correct legitimate complaints. You told the contractor you wanted the damaged cabinets replaced before the job was completed and IMHO that should have been done.

In my opinion, do not pay the balance to the contractor before things are corrected. Go to your local bank and ask about creating an escrow account and deposit the balance there. If it does get to court, this will show that you are not trying to get out of paying, but you just want the problem corrected first.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating