Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I just spent $11K there so it better be worth it!! $5K of it on a sofa. I'll say this - this service has been great so far. I was impressed with how they made their sofa and I've been assured everything will be Made in the U.S.A. which means something to me. My husband and I were talking about what great service we got from there because I did read that others have had bad experiences there. Part of me thinks it is because we didn't try to haggle. In retrospect, maybe we should have just a little but I didn't think you could in those kinds of places!! Anyway, I digress. Our furniture is coming in the second week of August. Our designer was great, offered a lot of advice and backed down when she "needed to". We're excited about our furniture and have confidence they will be awesome. If not, lesson learned. It'll be an expensive lesson but a beautifully decorated one.
If you like it, then it is worth it. Our friends love there EA furniture and I will admit it is beautiful. We just can't see spending a lot of money on furniture when you have young kids that will trash it and our friends have young kids. JMHO, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
Worth the $$? I would have to say no, especially when you add kids and dogs into the mix. We have friends with EA sofas and after 3 or 4 years they seem very, very worn. They have no kids and the dogs aren't allowed on the furniture. DH and I weren't impressed with it at all. The cushions seems saggy and overall just not very well made. We had a Flexsteel sectional that we loved. Very well made and the sofabed part of it was very comfortable (as far as sofabeds go). It held up very well. Unfortunately, we had to part with it because it didn't fit into our new house. See if you can find a Flexsteel or a Rowe sofa you like.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:14 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Ethan Allen used to be to be top notch. I worked for Ethan Allen right out of college. It was the first job as an interior designer I had (back in 1989/90) at that time their items were made right here in the USA. Now; however; their stuff is made overseas like a lot of stream lined furniture companies and the quality is just not what it used to be. They have lasted because of their name. To become more competitive in todays market they had to let the ball drop somewhere and sadly it was quality. I bought a sofa from them over two years ago that was not sewn properly well basically they forgot to attach the attached pillows in an area and they refused to fix it saying that fabric was not warrantied. The fabric is fine the stitching was not finished at the factory. The battle is ongoing and still they refuse to fix it. I will add this though..........much depends on the manager and sales person you get at the store you are using in regards to what they will do for you if there is a problem. They still have a fair amount of pull in the market because their furniture designs are hard to find at a lower price point.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:17 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Oh goodness stay away from Bassett! I would recommend Ikea over Bassett!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
CAKD - We're willing to pay more when it's Made in the U.S.A. so that was one of the reasons we bought our living room and bedroom furniture at EA. Well, that and we went to several stores and just couldn't find anything we liked. Anyway, I asked our sales lady/interior decorator if they make the furniture here and she said yes. In fact, I asked several times and every time she said yes. Was she lying to us? Or, half-truthing it like pieces are made overseas and they bring it back here to build it?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 PM

380 posts, read 2,350,698 times
Belated update here . . . ordered the Flexsteel and will hopefully have it by early November. When we went back to the store it was on sale too, so I was able to upgrade the leather for the same price. I think the Ethan Allen sofa was still my favorite style-wise, and it definitely felt well-made too (I was also told by the salesperson and an online customer service rep that the EA sofa was made in the US). But I just couldn't justify the price difference.

I think once the kids and dog get on it, I'll love the Flexsteel sofa even more.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:45 AM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times
CAKD...shocked you feel that way about Bassett...I think it is quite good...in fact all my furniture come from there.
Love EA as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:58 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
We've been happy with Scandinavian and Room & Board. It's the exact style we like and most of our pieces came from working a deal.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Another happy Room & Board customer here. Their quality is very good for their price point, and I really like that 85% of what they sell is made in the USA.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My general opinion of Ethan Allen is more sizzle than steak, but you will be hard pressed to get a decent sofa for less than $2500. The challenge is not to buy poor quality at a high price. Maybe you don't need the sofa to last a long time? You can find them a lot cheaper which will suit your purposes for a few years and then you can throw it out and get another.
Find a good furniture store and pick the brains of someone who knows how their sofas are made. Once you know this, go to a few other stores and see what they say about theirs.
I would look at Crate & Barrel and several non chain furiture stores until I was happy with the balance of quality/price/style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating