Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 14,488 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a very large Persian rug, the dominant color being blue, light and dark blues against a white background with accents of brown. I have two white couches that match the white background in the rug. What can I paint the living room walls, other than the obvious blue. I want a neutral color, but I'm not sure if a taupe color or beige will look good against the white. I don't want something so light that the couches fade into the wall.

Any ideas? I like the classic taupe color from behr paint but I don't think it would look right. I'm really frustrated. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 04:23 PM

2,188 posts, read 8,033,610 times
There are really two schools of thought. The first being not to have too much of a contrast against the white sofas i.e. red walls and white sofas (no) vs light tan walls with white sofas. That said there are certainly some bold colors that look astonishing with white sofas if the rest of the room holds warm tones in the case goods, rugs and accents. One color option would be navy blue. Stunning with white upholstery, dark woods and natural elements such as cane, and woven materials. Based on the rug colors you mention the second option that comes to mind is a warm, rich chocolate brown. Brown with white sofas and navy or a gray blue can be very sophisticated.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
With wahite sofas its always wise to use contrasting pillows with them . That keeps them from being too stark as the decoarates say.White by itself looks too antiseptic IMO.Pick some that have the clors of your rug mixed in but do not domionate is my suggestion.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:11 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,337,529 times
I think a neutral yellow would be nice...Blonde is too dark...But maybe a Powell Buff or Concord Ivory...Something along those lines...Just my thought

Old 08-07-2009, 06:32 AM

6 posts, read 15,323 times
"I think a neutral yellow would be nice." I agree with you

Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 11,015 times
Beige or light yellow would look nice I'd think, nothing too strong.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:13 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,527,800 times
Medium gray provides a great contrast for white and doesn't compete with the "colors" in the rug. You could get try one with a little bit of tan in it. I used gray for my kitchen and it looks great with black appliances...works the same way with white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating