U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 PM

79 posts, read 288,306 times

Advertisements

Just got a great deal on a fridge at Sears Outlet- brand new but comes with some srcatches and minor dents.

I hear that some people wallpaper a fridge...

What else can I do?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 PM

162 posts, read 587,461 times
I've never heard of 'wallpapering' a fridge so can't speak to that. I have no idea what that means.

Are the scratches and dents obvious? We've bought several blemished appliances throughout our decades of marriage but in every case a guest wouldn't have seen the defects unless we pointed them out. Many times, the defects were on the sides so were invisible once installed.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 AM

4,623 posts, read 5,007,514 times
I have seen a wallpapered fridge- proceed with caution since it needs to be done exceedingly well to look okay.

Another option I used to see but haven't lately is the kind of kit where you face the front with a sheet of metal or material and wrap the edges of the door with a chrome look channel that covers the edges of the front.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:36 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,244,079 times
It's endless what you can do. Just keep it light weight, balanced, and smooth edges.

It's your house and you have to look at it everyday.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:38 AM

35,637 posts, read 64,916,253 times

Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,562,179 times
I saw on HGTV how they made a old white fridge into a stainless steel looking using spray paint & some steel looking contact paper. It came out pretty darn good!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 46,518,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I have seen a wallpapered fridge- proceed with caution since it needs to be done exceedingly well to look okay.

Another option I used to see but haven't lately is the kind of kit where you face the front with a sheet of metal or material and wrap the edges of the door with a chrome look channel that covers the edges of the front.
There is no way in the world wallpaper can look good on a fridge. How can any one say that let alone do it.

I have seen some really stupid things people do but that one deserves to have the men in white jackets come take that idiot away.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 PM

4,623 posts, read 5,007,514 times
Hate to break it too you desert but I have seen a decent looking wall-papered fridge. I will acknowledge that it defies logic. It could very well be the exception that proves the rule.

BTW- have you seen any of the fridge facing kits lately. I assume you know what I was referring to- kind of an outer frame over the door edges and a exceedingly thin panel accross the front. Almost like old school dishwasher fronts.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 AM

10,420 posts, read 46,518,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Hate to break it too you desert but I have seen a decent looking wall-papered fridge. I will acknowledge that it defies logic. It could very well be the exception that proves the rule.

BTW- have you seen any of the fridge facing kits lately. I assume you know what I was referring to- kind of an outer frame over the door edges and a exceedingly thin panel accross the front. Almost like old school dishwasher fronts.
I just never heard of wallpapering a fridge. How stupid. I also never heard of a fridge refacing kit and I have done about 7000 kitchens in my career. You would have think I seen it all.

What I have of course heard of is putting door kits on fridge doors. Door kits that match the cabinet doors. This requires a kit sold by the fridge manufacturer to accept these door blanks and in most cases the wood skin too. We also do this to dishwashers using a skin and a door blank.

Wallpapering a fridge? I honestly thought I seen it all. Homeowners who dont want to spend money to do things properly have invented some of the dumbest things but wallpapering? That tops the cake.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I just never heard of wallpapering a fridge. How stupid. I also never heard of a fridge refacing kit and I have done about 7000 kitchens in my career. You would have think I seen it all.

What I have of course heard of is putting door kits on fridge doors. Door kits that match the cabinet doors. This requires a kit sold by the fridge manufacturer to accept these door blanks and in most cases the wood skin too. We also do this to dishwashers using a skin and a door blank.

Wallpapering a fridge? I honestly thought I seen it all. Homeowners who dont want to spend money to do things properly have invented some of the dumbest things but wallpapering? That tops the cake.

I just wanted to register and post on this old topic because I've been researching this stuff for the last few days.

The term "wallpaper" is incorrect in this application. Wallpaper requires a glue of some sort to apply it to the wall. What the posters are referring to is Contact Paper.

Contact Paper is available in quite a few different styles and thicknesses - you can get stone paper (with practically every type of stone available), wood paper (from cherry to maple to mahogany and countless others), solid colors, patterns, even (and this one gets me excited) Stainless Steel and Chalkboard Contact Paper!.

I just applied for a decent apartment with a super ugly kitchen yesterday. Whether or not the landlords want me to, I'm overhauling that piece of junk.

I plan on getting cherry grain contact paper for the cupboards and carefully applying it to the doors and externally visible surfaces (here's an example of what I'm thinking of: Amazon.com: Kittrich Corp 9813 Con-Tact Brand Covering: Home Improvement)

The countertop I will either paint with Rustoleum Ceramic Enamel with a clear coat (or maybe without - Rusto enamel is practically indestructible, and has a glossy finish) or I might get stone contact paper to cover it.

The floor I will be covering up with some peel and stick textured floor tiles (in some sort of stone pattern).

And here's the big one: The appliances. It has a fridge and dishwasher. While I could go with contact paper on the fridge, I think I'm going to paint it: Chalkboard.

My Chalkboard Fridge: Turn Your Fridge Into a Food Diary Guest Post from Chichi of My Chalkboard Fridge | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn

And as for the dishwasher, I think I'll use peel and stick Stainless Steel contact paper: Stainless Steel Film on Appliances

Additionally, if you want to get REAL fancy, you can get these and put a magnetic chalk board on any surface in your house (you can also get white board, but it's a lot more expensive):
--Magnetic Primer RustOleum.com
--Rusto Chalkboard paint Amazon.com: Rustoleum NCF Green Chalkboard Paint: Home Improvement

Also, in regards to the refinishing kits for fridges you didn't know about, I have been seeing here and there that you can buy replacement fridge covers (replaces the outer layer of the door and the shell of the fridge, so you can change the style and color). I only see that useful for Stainless Steel fridges; any other fridge, you can sand down and paint (using appliance paint or any enamel paint) and it will look great.

So, as you can see, you have quite a few different choices:
-Stone/Wood contact paper
-Stainless Steel Film
-Chalkboard Contact Paper
-Repainting
-Repainting with chalkboard paint

The best thing about all of this? The supplies are dirt cheap. I'm not sure what I'm looking at for the vinyl tile cost, but I estimate the whole project being under $400.

Wood grain and Stone/Brick contact paper: DC Fix Contact Paper - WoodGrain Group

Chalkboard contact paper:
Chalkboard Contact Paper, 18" x 6' # 905200 by Kittrich Corporation

*Edit* Sorry about the links, they looked alright when I was making the message but it killed them - not sure if it's because I'm new, don't have any posts, or if they're disabled board-wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating