Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM

67 posts, read 345,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Vanee, I'm in the process as well of closing on a 80 year old house. The kitchen needs major update, but on a budget. The Kitchen cabinets are custom made about 20 years ago, i believe their made from walnut. But not only the kitchen needs work, but so does the small bathroom. I really don't want to touch anything in that bathroom. What can i expect to pay to replace the file walls, tub and shower, toilet and sink? Nothing elaborate.
I don't think anyone can give you a number, but here are some ways to remodel a bathroom on a budget. For the bathtub, get a tub and shower enclosure. From what I've seen, they're less expensive than tiles and easier to clean. Replacing the tub itself would cost more than the tub because of the removal and installation work, but there are ways to paint the bathtub. I remember reading the correct procedure once but don't remember the details.

You can get great second-hand deals from Habitat for Humanity stores, other second-hand stores, and Craigslist. Tie it all together with the right paint colour and coordinating towels, and your old bathroom will be new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 PM

67 posts, read 345,625 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We're still deciding how to go, but availability and price will help us decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Quartz countertops - are you talking about quartz composite like Ceaserstone or Silestone? I think that would be a good choice...but don't discount laminate - laminate countertops have come a long way. Will you have an island? Why not use reclaimed wood for the top? I'd rub it with mineral oil and use it for chopping too - love the patina of old wood counters. Great for serving/display also.
Countertops weren't fresh in my mind when I wrote my first post. I thought quartz was less expensive, but if it isn't, it's off the list. I'll look into the other suggestions.

I don't think there's room for an island, but we already have a kitchen cart that we use for counter space as well as storage. It'll probably be in the middle of the kitchen when we're working as it is now.

We bought a butcher-block style countertop that was the right size and we got for a good price, but it isn't solid wood. We're wondering if we should use it in the kitchen or maybe in the basement instead, where the current cabinets will be going. I've attached a picture of it. One concern is how it would affect the resale value of the house -- keeping in mind that this house is not in an expensive area, but the neighbourhood is nice, and the house has a lot of potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
No you do not want to paint cabinets. And thanks for not saying paint them white even though you were thinking it. Yes it brings down the value of the home and a home buyer will run for the next house on their long list. I agree not to go overboard in this economic depression as home values will continue to drop for years to come.
Are you saying that white cabinets bring down the value of a home, painted cabinets do, or both? What about staining the cabinets to make them match?

Quote:
Also do not be tempted to fall for that $995 for a complete all solid wood cherry kitchen crap. All that is is junk Chinese made sulfur and formaldehyde infested garbage. Your savings will guarantee you will get asthma at best and cancer at worse.
Thanks for the warning. How can the average consumer tell if cabinets are the above type?

Quote:
I dont mind the RTAs so much as the poster above mentioned, just not the cheap junk the big box stores sell. RTAs are ready to assemble.
RTAs are one option on our list.

Quote:
If you are looking for brands the first thing I think of is Merillat because you are from Michigan and Merillat corporate headquarters are in Adrian, MI. If you want to look at Merillat and are on a budget then look at the Essentials line. They are very inexpensive and nice. You can also look at a new and up and coming new kid on the block that I like called Covered Bridge Cabinets out of Pennsylvania. They are RTAs. Look at Legacy and UltraCraft as a couple more inexpensive quality brands.
Thanks for the specific suggestions I'm looking into them.

Quote:
Not everything has to be new and perfect to be beautiful and useful. Buy and use what you can afford and what makes sense to you- that is the wise thing to do.
That's the plan.

Again, thanks everyone, including those who I didn't quote. I've read all the replies and appreciate all the ideas. More are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you redo an old kitchen on a budget?-butcherblockcountertop.jpg  

Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanee View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We're still deciding how to go, but availability and price will help us decide.

Are you saying that white cabinets bring down the value of a home, painted cabinets do, or both? What about staining the cabinets to make them match?

Thanks for the warning. How can the average consumer tell if cabinets are the above type?

RTAs are one option on our list.

Thanks for the specific suggestions I'm looking into them.

That's the plan.

Again, thanks everyone, including those who I didn't quote. I've read all the replies and appreciate all the ideas. More are welcome.
I didn't say white cabinets will bring down the value of the home but home buyers will tell their Realtor not to show them any homes with white kitchens. I can also tell you that of the last 1000 kitchens I have sold maybe 2 white kitchens. If I go back nearly 30 years I might say I sold a few dozen but that's pushing it. Just because something is out of style does not mean you cant or shouldn't buy it. If you like white then buy it but realize selling the home will be harder if white dont come back.

The biggest tell tale that you are looking at Chinese cabinets are the price. You will see ads that say $995.00 for an all cherry wood 9 X 10 kitchen. There are just too many serious health issues related to Chinese cabinets as well as Chinese drywal. Sulfer disolves copper so guess what happens to the wiring in your walls. Chances of developing asthma is very very high even with limited exposure. When you are reading ads for cabinet shops, if the ad does not even say the brand of cabinets they sell then you can bet they are selling that formaldehyde junk. There are 2 documented cases of people dying from eposure to the high formaldehyde.

Dont be afraid of the RTAs. The consumer can save some money this way but you have to be somewhat handy to understand the directions. No special tools are needed. Once you do one or 2 boxes then the rest will go fast. One disadvantage of RTAs are limited options and other goodies. Not always but some manufacturers of RTAs dont make every size box.

Good luck

Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Vanee - we live in a high end area - white cabinets are very popular as are glazed white cabinets. In fact, some of the nicest kitchens I've been in have white cabinets - those kitchens sell very well. Desertsun makes no bones about the fact that she dislikes white cabinets. Rather than take advice from people you don't know about the color of your cabinets, speak to a few successful realtors that sell homes in your area and get their advice regarding the best cabinet color for resale.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-03-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Vanee - we live in a high end area - white cabinets are very popular as are glazed white cabinets. In fact, some of the nicest kitchens I've been in have white cabinets - those kitchens sell very well. Desertsun makes no bones about the fact that she dislikes white cabinets. Rather than take advice from people you don't know about the color of your cabinets, speak to a few successful realtors that sell homes in your area and get their advice regarding the best cabinet color for resale.
Cat I suspect you have white cabinets and are being defensive. Nothing wrong with that. I have posted the facts, figures and statistics from reputable sourses which are neutral and could care less what color you buy. I posted how many I have sold. Nationwide the total numbers of white kitchens sold were less then 5%. That is a pretty tiny number. Embarrassing number if it were a competitor rather then a color.

I usually always add but forgot in my previous post that white cabinets are dead but the off whites are selling though very poorly. We carry bisque and salmon but every company calls them something different. Bottom line is they are some shades of off white with some gentle tan coloring which are selling.

This year so far and we are on the 9th month between all of us we only sold one off white kitchen we call salmon and they ordered a dark brown glazing on that. My brand no longer sells white and neither do most all major cabinet manufacturers. What does that tell you? If a multi million dollar company stops making a specific product or color it is because the consumer is not buying it. Does that make sense?

There are very few Realtors still in business during this economic depression but all those we work with, especially on rehabs, flippers and local city or municipal revitalization projects, all those Realtors advise against white.

In the end, if you like white then go for it. We have so few freedoms left in America but I think we still can choose white cabinets if we wish.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
As a matter of fact I have walnut cabinets. I'm not being defensive - I'm just trying to give balance to your bias against white cabinets (as seen in all your posts about kitchen cabinets). There are decors and settings where white works beautifully - cottage style kitches, farm kitchens, beach settings. Truly some of the most beautiful kitchens I have seen have white cabinets. To discount something entirely because of color or your personal, limited statistics on selling homes in your area doesn't seem quite fair or right to me. But then that is just me.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Here we go with the white cabinet crap again. FYI, I am in CT and some million dollar homes here have white or off white cabinets. Ours are off white with a glaze over them and we get compliments all the time. Ours were sprayed by a contractor and they came out excellent. We also have quartz and trust me its not the "least expensive" option out there. Get what you like and enjoy. For everyone person who tells you this or that is dated, another 10 will tell you its not so enjoy YOUR home :-)

Old 09-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Here we go with the white cabinet crap again. FYI, I am in CT and some million dollar homes here have white or off white cabinets. Ours are off white with a glaze over them and we get compliments all the time. Ours were sprayed by a contractor and they came out excellent. We also have quartz and trust me its not the "least expensive" option out there. Get what you like and enjoy. For everyone person who tells you this or that is dated, another 10 will tell you its not so enjoy YOUR home :-)
Uconn no offense but a million dollar home in Conneticut is a 500 SF bungalow. I do understand your point though. You did say you have off white which I have said is selling but selling poorly. White is not selling at all. But for those who paint old cabinets I will betcha 80% of those people paint them with white. Makes no sense but it's a fact.

Hey just because something is out of style doesn't mean you should not buy it unless it's something like bell bottom pants.

Go for it people!!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Coastal area reporting in here, and white and off-white cabinets are relatively common at multiple price points.

As for us, we're the really low budget weirdos who like a post modern look, so we ended up painting the existing cabinets dark green, switching out the fixtures, and calling it good because we couldn't justify the cost of tearing out what was already there and functional

Old 09-04-2009, 01:40 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
As a matter of fact I have walnut cabinets. I'm not being defensive - I'm just trying to give balance to your bias against white cabinets (as seen in all your posts about kitchen cabinets). There are decors and settings where white works beautifully - cottage style kitches, farm kitchens, beach settings. Truly some of the most beautiful kitchens I have seen have white cabinets. To discount something entirely because of color or your personal, limited statistics on selling homes in your area doesn't seem quite fair or right to me. But then that is just me.

White gloss (or pretty much any color available-red, grey, cream) flat doors are very contemporary. I often think a mix looks good too- maybe a darker color for base units and cream or grey for the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating