Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times

Advertisements

I never did like black, brown, too much white, or beige coloring in a home.

I love pastels and some bright colors is okay. But I do like dark brown in the kitchen with some yellow to it. I think that really brightens ones house.

I'd love to paint the house I live in now, but I'm only renting it...Shucks!!! I'd paint the bedroom a light pink shade, the 2nd bedroom a light blue shade, the 3rd bedroom a lavender shade (both bathrooms with pink tile in one and blue tile in the other). The kitchen with a dark brown shade with some yellow to it. And the living room I'd do a peach shade. I love colors. It just brightens things up and never looks dull or boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. Someone mention dinette set is too light and matching the floor.

What about an area rug to separate the floor from the dinette set. The color match the accent in the area rug in the living room set.
Living room rug.

So I figure to go solid for the dinette set.The color is pastel blue that I'm going for. I'm thinking this will help pull the two rooms together.

Area rug choice below or leave it bare or maybe a pattern like the other rug?

Those are nice... I think you are moving in the right direction. Your home looks nicer than *many* I have seen browsing listing pictures, believe me! Do what you like.

I have light hardwoods, woodwork on main level and have a light to light/medium dining room table and buffett It makes the space seem light and airy.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 PM

354 posts, read 2,076,147 times
The solid pastel blue rug will be a better choice IMO. Also loose the plant on the Dinette table and replace with some Pastel blue candles, brown and tan candle holder and some nice dinner mats with the three color your going for. The other rug with the multicolor could work, but will be my second choice bettween the two.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,549 times
I don't see a plant on the dinette I see pink flowers. I LOVE the flowers because they break away completely from the brown, tan, blue scheme, so they are a nice surprise. As for the painting over the couch, it is only a size or two too small. I would "enlarge" it by using molding to create the proper size frame on the wall and placing the painting within the molding. If you paint the area within the molding either the lighter tan or a nice shade of blue from the picture, it would lighten up the wall considerably and create much more of a focal point, for very little money.
The darkness of the wall color makes me much too warm. I can't figure hout how some find it to be cold, lol. Finally, the dining area walls are much too dark for what is already a small space, and they contrast too much with the light furniture. A much lighter shade on the walls in the dining area would work better I think. And of course, it's all about what YOU like, I think that should always go without saying. Keeping sharing pics as it developes!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,656 times

What you guys think of this picture? I found this while reserching for decor ideas.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:

What you guys think of this picture? I found this while reserching for decor ideas.
I like it except the drapes.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
I love your color scheme. I do think the print above the sofa needs to be much larger. It seems you are trying to make a simple but dramatic statement...the artwork should probably be big, bold and colorful to offset the simple beiges and browns.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:48 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:

LOL..... Are you asking for "personal" opinion? The dining room feels terribly dark and crowded. The table "feels" far too large and imposing for the space and is so very dark, especially combined with the rich, dark sidetable behind it, and I have never been a fan of the blue and brown combination, especially THAT blue with the brown. Little pops of blueish/greenish, such as the balls on your hearth, and in some artwork feel good to me....perhaps a subtle accent of blue on window treatments, that feels good to me....but the curtains in the dining room give me the (maybe mistaken?) impression that someone needed something for the window and that's all they could find. LOL I'm sure that's not the case, but that's what it feels like to me. Yeah, silly, huh? That's just my personal opinion, however. There are many people out there who love to combine blue with brown, even on walls.... just not me.

As for YOUR dining room.... I am under the impression that you don't have children in your home? LOL I love your large "hutch/china cabinet", maybe not so much the finish, (could be blended a bit), but it looks like it's far too large for the space. The table already looks like it fills the space, and having the other large piece of furniture in there is shoving your table over so that it doesn't center under your lovely chandelier. Having the table so close it must make it quite difficult to open it as well as causing whoever sits there to have to squeeeeeze into the chairs on that side. LOL Again, these are just my personal opinions. I am one of those people who love some serious elbow room and can't stand the claustrophobic feeling that comes from having tight quarters.

I do have to say though, your house is gorgeous....it really is. I love the layout of it and I think you've done a fabulous job of painting. I'm not crazy about the color scheme (just my personal taste speaking here), but you have done a beautiful job. I'm sure it looks far more beautiful and FEELS much more beautiful in person. Most pictures just don't really do a place justice. Keep up the good work and I sure hope no one has made you feel bad about your choices, I don't think they've meant to, but are simply expressing their own personal preferences. Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating