Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I don't think you read my post very well. I clearly said that the OP should think about HIRING someone to decorate one room and working along with them to learn about decorating....why should I feel "attacked"? I in no way suggested stealing intelectual property....please read my post again.

Also, if I were paying by the hour or job, I would choose to educate myself rather than pay a decorator to give me magazines to look at, come back later, etc. Certainly if a client was unsure of what they wanted and hadn't taken the time to figure out what appealed to them, then going about it the way you suggested would work. However, it would certainly simplify the process to have that out of the way before you hired a decorator. I stand by my advice - educate yourself, learn what appeals to you and then hire someone if you need to. I accessorized for an interior decorator and I know of what I speak.
I suppose I didnt clarify, the point of the magazines is not just to "look", the point is to define the clients likes and dislikes without my meter running. We are saying the exact same thing here, all that happens BEFORE I present a contract.
I know you did not suggest stealing intellectual property. I am pointing out the fact that many people, out of ignorance for the way the process works, will try to get free advice out of a designer. If you worked for one, you of all people should know that. My assistant runs interference for me on that one constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I suppose I didnt clarify, the point of the magazines is not just to "look", the point is to define the clients likes and dislikes without my meter running. We are saying the exact same thing here, all that happens BEFORE I present a contract.
I know you did not suggest stealing intellectual property. I am pointing out the fact that many people, out of ignorance for the way the process works, will try to get free advice out of a designer. If you worked for one, you of all people should know that. My assistant runs interference for me on that one constantly.
When you start saying things like "not trying to attack you", you intimate that I have perhaps done or said something that justifies being attacked or at the very least criticized. When you quote me and then start talking about stealing intellectual property, that sounds like you are in fact, accusing me of suggesting that.

If you are dropping off magazines with instructions without your meter running, that is a very helpful service - it is especially a good idea for clients to pull examples of what they don't like as well as what appeals to them.

Believe me, I have had more than my share of distant relatives, and almost strangers wanting to pick my brain for ideas without compensation.

I was suggesting to the OP that if she hires a pro, she should be attentive and learn from that person and the whole experience - good advice I think you will agree.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
When you start saying things like "not trying to attack you", you intimate that I have perhaps done or said something that justifies being attacked or at the very least criticized. When you quote me and then start talking about stealing intellectual property, that sounds like you are in fact, accusing me of suggesting that.

If you are dropping off magazines with instructions without your meter running, that is a very helpful service - it is especially a good idea for clients to pull examples of what they don't like as well as what appeals to them.

Believe me, I have had more than my share of distant relatives, and almost strangers wanting to pick my brain for ideas without compensation.

I was suggesting to the OP that if she hires a pro, she should be attentive and learn from that person and the whole experience - good advice I think you will agree.
Cattknap, I have been called out so many times for speaking my mind, that I try to preface it now by saying what I said, there was no personal intent at all........its usually a third party that call me out, I just try now to be pro-active about defending myself. If I offended you with trying to shield myself, I am sorry.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I understand now - thank you for the explanation...not offended, I promise.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Although certain posters state that HGTV is damaging client/designer relationshihps, these DIY channels have done a tremendous thing. They are telling/showing people that they can do things themselves. They are giving homeowners ideas. Most of all, and this is on a personal note here....they are showing that the "average Joe/Julie" is capable of doing home repairs themselves! In today's economy, it's tough for the average homeowner to afford the materials for a project, much less having to pay someone to do it for them.
Maybe I did not watch the right shows but I did not see anyone doing anything for themselves; they helplessly hired electricians to install new light fixtures, hired painters to paint walls, etc.

I do a lot of things, including some electrical work, myself. I think the important thing about DIY is to know when you are out of your league. For some reason painting large pieces of wood with oil-based paint is beyond me. A professional can get a much better finish, so I hired pros to paint doors. I will use them again to paint cabinets. But I can paint walls and trim myself all day long. I guess some people have to be shown that they are not completely helpless when it comes to home repairs, but I think a lot of people will attempt it themselves once they are faced with the huge expense of paying a pro to do something that they really can do themselves. But there are some things a novice probably should not do, like re-wire a house, hang drywall, etc. It is so easy to mess it up. I would not want my first time hanging drywall to be in my own house.

On a local forum that I used to read some people were really surprising. People would ask how much it would cost to get someone to spread a few bags of mulch, or how much it would cost to get a general contractor in to change doorknobs inside the house. Some people refuse to break a sweat or pick up a screwdriver to improve such a huge investment and I do not understand that!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Perhaps I'm thinking of the DIY network. I definitly have seen some homeowners being made to wield the tools and so some of the things themselves. My first exposure to those shows was 6 or 7 years ago, after I fell from a ladder while putting the final strokes on a 20' ceiling for my mother in law. I broke my leg and damaged my knee.....which put me on the couch for 8 weeks! LOL Some of those shows (can't think of all of the specific names now) actually focused on NOT spending an arm and a leg to do it yourself. Even the shows that have experts coming in, inspired me to be able to do it myself.

I hear you about not doing certain things yourself. We do have a paint setup just for doing large objects with oil and solvent based paints, so that's not a problem, but it's definitly something that takes some practice in order to avoid runs and "ghosts". My personal issue is this, I get so frustrated cutting glass!! It is the simplest task in the world...some basic little rules to follow and yet I have only been able to cut 2 panes without breaking them! LOL My husband can do it like magic...so?....LOL...he gets to cut it, I install and glaze them. Me? I get it cleaned, laid out, measured, scored and inevitably, the bugger veers off on the last 2 inches..grrrr

Maybe one of the reasons those folks on the forum you brought up, is that they actually think there is something terribly intricate about the tasks they feel they need to hire someone for. I did landscaping for many years...folks who have lived in places where they had no yard to landscape, have no idea where to even begin. If many folks would simply pick up books on gardening, get themselves some home repair books, DIY books etc. they would find that it's just not difficult to do most things. You just have to LEARN!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM

I personally love the DIY channels and sites......DH and I do everything in our own home ourselves, except for complex electrical.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
Someone help....

Ok so my husband and i found the perfect house. we made an offer and it got accepted... I was on cloud 9 until i thought... oh my gosh now i have to buy furnature... not a big deal if i was at home but work has us away at the moment...

I thought about an interior decorator but i am not sure i would want to give that much control to someone... plus i would really like to do this on a budget. and by budget i mean as cheap as possible...

basically i want an interior decorator like HGTV... so all i have to do is say i like the modern look and i have X amount of dollars per room and they scavange the garage sales and stuff looking for "things to make new" but HGTV type decorators dont really exist do they? if yes how do i find out. (the house is in a major city)

I have no family there, and i dont know anyone there.

any ideas????

~Lost and Confused :-(
what is the problem? If you are not in the house right now, it doesn't need to be furnished right now. Are you moving beds, couches, from you old place in to the new one? The whole place doesn't have to be furnished right when you move in. Do it a little at a time. Just start with the basics of a place to sleep and sit, and you'll be fine.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Perhaps I'm thinking of the DIY network. I definitly have seen some homeowners being made to wield the tools and so some of the things themselves. My first exposure to those shows was 6 or 7 years ago, after I fell from a ladder while putting the final strokes on a 20' ceiling for my mother in law. I broke my leg and damaged my knee.....which put me on the couch for 8 weeks! LOL Some of those shows (can't think of all of the specific names now) actually focused on NOT spending an arm and a leg to do it yourself. Even the shows that have experts coming in, inspired me to be able to do it myself.

I hear you about not doing certain things yourself. We do have a paint setup just for doing large objects with oil and solvent based paints, so that's not a problem, but it's definitly something that takes some practice in order to avoid runs and "ghosts". My personal issue is this, I get so frustrated cutting glass!! It is the simplest task in the world...some basic little rules to follow and yet I have only been able to cut 2 panes without breaking them! LOL My husband can do it like magic...so?....LOL...he gets to cut it, I install and glaze them. Me? I get it cleaned, laid out, measured, scored and inevitably, the bugger veers off on the last 2 inches..grrrr

Maybe one of the reasons those folks on the forum you brought up, is that they actually think there is something terribly intricate about the tasks they feel they need to hire someone for. I did landscaping for many years...folks who have lived in places where they had no yard to landscape, have no idea where to even begin. If many folks would simply pick up books on gardening, get themselves some home repair books, DIY books etc. they would find that it's just not difficult to do most things. You just have to LEARN!
I am with you on that! Nobody is born knowing how to replace a light fixture or install a GFCI outlet but luckily light fixtures come with instructions. You do not need them after the first couple of times.

I think I might hire a pro to paint a ceiling 20 feet up; my ceilings are only 8 feet so that is something I could easily do myself without using a ladder but wow; a broken leg! I hope your mother-in-law was very grateful for your help and waited on you hand and foot afterwards!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Beachmel, on the glass cutting thing, DH is a master glazier...... are you using as new sharp tool and grozing pliers? Sometimes a bit of oil can help make a clean cut and snap......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating