Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,542,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Black, definitely black. And paint the cabinets - anything but what they are now.
Anything but white? Ha. I just couldn't help myself. Hey at least we agree on the black huh? !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 PM

430 posts, read 1,309,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmystie3k View Post
you mean the brass tone chandelier thing, or the overhead florescent?
both!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM

430 posts, read 1,309,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ms I see one major serious flaw that needs attention. That microwave was placed under a cabinet that was sized for a hood vent. A hood vent is 6" tall and a microwaveis 16" tall. The microwave should be 1" above or below the bottom of the cabinets which are 54" off the ground. By law or lets call it code you must have 18" space between your countertop and the bottom of the cabinets. This applies to the microwave or hood vent also. Yours looks to be exactly 10". This is dangerous and a fire hazard.

I betcha the plastic light covers under that microwave are all melted from the heat.

How to fix? Good luck. Your cabinets do look pretty nice. What needs to be done is that cab above the micro needs to be shorter. All your uppers are 42" tall. That cabinet over the micro should be 27" tall by code and by all design standards and practices. I believe it to be 36" tall.

Oh and your appliances should be black.
Do you have cabinets above your refrigerator that are shorter? We lived in a house once where we had the same issue. Had to fix before we could sell. We just used the ones over the frig over the built in microwave for a perfect match. Since the refrigerator was at the end of the cabinets anyway it looked fine. Maybe that would work for you?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 PM

141 posts, read 632,876 times
I agree, white.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 AM

41,757 posts, read 74,756,971 times
I'd stick with white appliances as well. They better suit the classic style of the kitchen.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,690,714 times
My $0.02 here. You said you're bringing your bisque appliances from your other home, right? Okay.....so I think you should go black with your dishwasher. The reasoning behind this is that your kitchen is so very small anyway....and I think if you went with black, your dishwasher will not SCREAM out at you when looking into your kitchen. I honestly believe that you could replace the panels on the front of your dishwasher anyway, but that white dishwasher, even though it goes with the trim and the appliances currently in your new home, would virtually disappear if you went with black.

As for the lighting? I would take the lighting fixture from the dining room, re-finish it in an antique/hammered black finish and put it where the fluorescent fixture is. The fluorescent fixture would work well in the garage....hehe. The chandelier's shape would fit nicely over the kitchen island, if placed in the same direction as the fluorescent. Of course, you'd have to pick up another light fixture for the dining room. Good luck removing the wallpaper border....I really hope it comes off easily for you!

I just refinished a friend's chandelier in their kitchen I painted.....they were actually considering buying a new light fixture in there. They were absolutely thrilled with the refinish job....20 min, while they watched...never had to remove the fixture. They said, "HOLY CRAP! Now we can take the money we saved on the chandelier and buy that new ceiling fan we couldn't afford!!"

Old 10-16-2009, 05:53 AM

20 posts, read 69,421 times
Thanks for the input, everyone. We are going to give these ideas re: light fixtures a try right away.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM

354 posts, read 2,070,160 times
I stick with the white unless you replace all the appliance then I go with the black. The black will look more elegant with the oak cabinetry than the white. Are you stripping the wall paper I see in the background?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM

20 posts, read 69,421 times
We will replace the wallpaper in the future, just can't do it right now.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM

955 posts, read 3,640,113 times
BLACK - I really dislike White appliances regardless... I just don't like the look myself but you should do what YOU like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating