Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times

Advertisements

Something very simple, but dimmer switches on all of our kitchen lights when we upgraded about 3 years ago. We didn't think we would use them all that much, but we find we use them all the time. So for example, cooking or cleaning the kitchen they are on full, but when we sit down to eat or first thing in the morning we have them low so the light isn't too bright. It's a small upgrade thats been nice to have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I was surprised to see a toilet that had 2 choices to flush. You could flush one lever for #1 (just pee) and use a third of a gallon of water or choose the second lever for #2 which uses 1.5 gallons.

I never seen anything like this before and it's my job to keep up on that.
I just heard about these a few weeks ago and the big box sells them. I know they're popular in Europe, but I thought out West too. We don't want to toss out perfectly good toilets, so we're looking into a retrofit kit for this.

We loved having a utility sink, but our new house doesn't have one. We're thinking about installing one.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We are doing a rather large expensive bathroom and they bought most of the fixtures. I was surprised to see a toilet that had 2 choices to flush. You could flush one lever for #1 (just pee) and use a third of a gallon of water or choose the second lever for #2 which uses 1.5 gallons. I never seen anything like this before and it's my job to keep up on that.
Don't most toilets sold in the past few years do this? The toilets in my 3-1/2 year old house are standard low-flow models. Pushing and releasing the flush handle yields a quick flush. You have to push and hold the handle for a "full" flush.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
love my under cab. lighting in my kitchen and also my in sink soap dispenser - easy to add but makes a big difference!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,462 times
I ended up squeezing in one of the tall, narrow spaces under the counter for cookie sheets and racks and cutting boards. I never realized how much QUIETER it would be not to have to shift things around to pull out the rack I wanted... now, it just slides right out!

Getting rid of the 90 degree angle in my counter top so that I could put in a 360 degree lazy susan under the counter (and in the upper cabinets) got me a whole lot of extra space and made items much easier to find.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Our current house has a jacuzzi tub in the master bath and before I ever had one, I always thought if I had the option of having one, I wouldn't spend the money...... Well, now that we have one, if we ever built another house it would definitely have one!

Another simple thing is a dishwasher with the "delay" settings. Our current dishwasher doesn't have that, but the one we had in our last house did and I found that to be very convenient.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
lazy susan built in the cabinetry, 3 car garage, basement.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Something very simple, but dimmer switches on all of our kitchen lights when we upgraded about 3 years ago. We didn't think we would use them all that much, but we find we use them all the time. So for example, cooking or cleaning the kitchen they are on full, but when we sit down to eat or first thing in the morning we have them low so the light isn't too bright. It's a small upgrade thats been nice to have!
Oh yeah...I love my dimmer switches!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Don't most toilets sold in the past few years do this? The toilets in my 3-1/2 year old house are standard low-flow models. Pushing and releasing the flush handle yields a quick flush. You have to push and hold the handle for a "full" flush.
Not exactly, see Toto's newest dual flush model.
I have quite a few friends out here (California) that put these in when they were remodeling their very vintage homes...such a positive improvement on their water bills...

and the pull out drawers I have in the kitchen came with the house..the original owners built all thekitchen cabs...some are 52 inches deep?!?
The pull outs are a godsend to the abyss!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,530 times
Power, baby. Power! The previous homeowner put outlets everywhere imaginable including multiple locations in the porch ceiling and along side the entry doors - great for holiday lights and decorations. There's even an outlet at the landing (inside) above my front door where I can place holiday display or plug in an accent light. They also have dimmers everywhere, even in the toilet closet and under kitchen cabinets and motion sensor lights in the laundry room coming in from the garage. The dimmers everywhere really comes in handy for ambient lighting during dinner parties, etc. and the motion sensor lights in places where your hands are full is a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating