Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The area in the bay could accommodate a fairly large table - I'd say a 56" round table would be good - I could fit 6 people if we needed to.
Cat, are there any unfinished wood furniture stores in your neck of the woods? I would think that might be your best bet........I can think of quite a few tables that would work, but we would be talking pricey......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM

65 posts, read 371,840 times
Default New Poster

I have enjoyed catching up on your on-going post. I discovered this site while I was searching for information on decorating Georgians. My husband and I are getting ready to purchase a Georgian. The current owner has good taste and has taken care of the property. Our challenge will be making our Stickley furniture collection at home in this new space, as well as making the home ours. I look forward to sharing pictures and asking advice from each of you.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Oh holy cow.... what a project! You know how ya think, "Ah, I think it's time to do a bit of work on the kitchen....we need a new microwave and range hood. Um....well, I don't know about anyone else, but that never really seems to go the way it was planned here. LOL We also decided to take a look at some flooring and see what kind of trouble we'd run into with our subfloor. Well..unfortunately, we ran into....oh well lookie here.....new sillplate, sistered in uprights, insulation, and entirely new subfloor. OMG! The kitchen is gutted..I do mean gutted. Turns out, this is also the best time to run the new wiring and fix faucets (of course) so hehe, the ceilng's gone too. Hey, cool thing about removing a ceiling in a 75 year old house? You find old things....not just "used to be alive" old things!!

On a happy note, it gave us the excuse to bare the walls, to SEE where all of the "old" walls were at one time (kitchen used to be a bathroom, a mud room, and a laundry room --3 little rooms). It's allowed us to redo wiring/lighting, and take care of some plumbing issues. Here's the real "something to sing about"....I finally had an excuse to tear down the panelling in order to insulate outside walls!! Yaaaay!

So.....yeah, no kitchen. We are repurposing almost everything that was in the kitchen, but have a couple of things we've had in the shop and been going to repurpose. It's a family affair, everyone's doing their part. As for me, I'm going to get the insulation back in the walls this morning so we can start putting it back together. Ugh....this was so not in the plan right now. But hey, we're going to get a nicer kitchen back!

Hey, Cattknap!? Whatcha doing this weekend!? LOL

Old 01-31-2010, 06:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh holy cow.... what a project! You know how ya think, "Ah, I think it's time to do a bit of work on the kitchen....we need a new microwave and range hood. Um....well, I don't know about anyone else, but that never really seems to go the way it was planned here. LOL We also decided to take a look at some flooring and see what kind of trouble we'd run into with our subfloor. Well..unfortunately, we ran into....oh well lookie here.....new sillplate, sistered in uprights, insulation, and entirely new subfloor. OMG! The kitchen is gutted..I do mean gutted. Turns out, this is also the best time to run the new wiring and fix faucets (of course) so hehe, the ceilng's gone too. Hey, cool thing about removing a ceiling in a 75 year old house? You find old things....not just "used to be alive" old things!!

On a happy note, it gave us the excuse to bare the walls, to SEE where all of the "old" walls were at one time (kitchen used to be a bathroom, a mud room, and a laundry room --3 little rooms). It's allowed us to redo wiring/lighting, and take care of some plumbing issues. Here's the real "something to sing about"....I finally had an excuse to tear down the panelling in order to insulate outside walls!! Yaaaay!

So.....yeah, no kitchen. We are repurposing almost everything that was in the kitchen, but have a couple of things we've had in the shop and been going to repurpose. It's a family affair, everyone's doing their part. As for me, I'm going to get the insulation back in the walls this morning so we can start putting it back together. Ugh....this was so not in the plan right now. But hey, we're going to get a nicer kitchen back!

Hey, Cattknap!? Whatcha doing this weekend!? LOL
I'm right there with you.

We finally hired a contractor. My homework assignment for this weekend was to pick out a range hood (because he will design the bulkhead around what I choose? ). How hard could it be?

OMG.

I now need to pick out a range, so I'll know how many BTUs so I can figure out what CFM I need.

For some reason, I am not quite there. The range is the ~only~ appliance I really care about in the kitchen (I leave the DW and the fridge to my engineer SO).

I also need to get on the ball and choose flooring.

Things seem to be happening very quickly now, after 3+ years of planning.

I totally know what you mean about "seeing" things. I had that sense looking up at the floor joists after tearing out the basement ceiling (stucco over lath) by hand.

Keep us updated on the "no kitchen" thing too?

That will be the hardest part for me. Not being able to cook. Thank goodness for microwaves and toaster ovens.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:09 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
That will be the hardest part for me. Not being able to cook. Thank goodness for microwaves and toaster ovens.
Don't forget to buy a hot plate. It's still not the real thing but it helps. Remodeling and living in it is pretty tough.

I can't wait to get back home to my stove and oven. Who would think you could miss an appliance so much, lol?

Good luck on your decisions. It's not easy.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 PM

Well,the subfloors is in and some of the new outlets and switches are run. We're relocating the range, so I had to drill through to run the new line for it today. Got most of the insulating done, but because walls were put in "odd" location...lol, I've had to scab in extra uprights in order to have nailers for the wall materials. We got one wall "paneled", but started measuring the others...and it explained why there was such a horrid patch job done with the panelling in there previously. There are no 4' increments to be had. LOL..... So, after watching a movie with DS (his 20th birthday today and it's his request that we all take a break to watch a movie), hubby and I will finish running all of the wiring. Tomorrow I will be toenailing some more uprights for the nailers! ugh! pain in the butt!

We've been doing a lot of sandwiches, but that's getting old. We do have a huge electric griddle, electric multi-purpose pot, and a huge rectangular electric fry pan, so that makes things pretty easy. We actually had hot hamburgers tonight. LOL It will be so nice to have the range back, the kitchen sink, etc. LOL I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Plaidmom--Hang in there....LOL, yeah, when making my decision between the over-the-range microwave or the range hood, I did some research.....who knew CFM was such a big deal? LOL Decided on the range hood after hearing about the moisture issues with the electronic circuitry of the microwaves....ended up with the countertop microwave instead...and a range hood for the stove.

Lisa--Your bathroom/kitchen inspired me in the Florida home, that's where we do our cooking! LOL I feel for you girl, can't wait to hear you're back to your kitchen. It looks like hubby's going back to work next week, so it's dear daughter and me....well, mostly me. But that's okay....never a dull moment! I actually do my best work alone. Hubby was getting so overwhelmed, til I said, Oooookay, I'm spearheading now..... here's what we do FIRST.....don't get ahead of yourself,,,,,one step at a time. LOL Bless his heart....he said, "Well....I don't know....I'm NOT a carpenter!" He does an excellent job though...and is a master at the plumbing and electrical...and that's important!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Well,the subfloors is in and some of the new outlets and switches are run. We're relocating the range, so I had to drill through to run the new line for it today. Got most of the insulating done, but because walls were put in "odd" location...lol, I've had to scab in extra uprights in order to have nailers for the wall materials. We got one wall "paneled", but started measuring the others...and it explained why there was such a horrid patch job done with the panelling in there previously. There are no 4' increments to be had. LOL..... So, after watching a movie with DS (his 20th birthday today and it's his request that we all take a break to watch a movie), hubby and I will finish running all of the wiring. Tomorrow I will be toenailing some more uprights for the nailers! ugh! pain in the butt!

We've been doing a lot of sandwiches, but that's getting old. We do have a huge electric griddle, electric multi-purpose pot, and a huge rectangular electric fry pan, so that makes things pretty easy. We actually had hot hamburgers tonight. LOL It will be so nice to have the range back, the kitchen sink, etc. LOL I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Plaidmom--Hang in there....LOL, yeah, when making my decision between the over-the-range microwave or the range hood, I did some research.....who knew CFM was such a big deal? LOL Decided on the range hood after hearing about the moisture issues with the electronic circuitry of the microwaves....ended up with the countertop microwave instead...and a range hood for the stove.

Lisa--Your bathroom/kitchen inspired me in the Florida home, that's where we do our cooking! LOL I feel for you girl, can't wait to hear you're back to your kitchen. It looks like hubby's going back to work next week, so it's dear daughter and me....well, mostly me. But that's okay....never a dull moment! I actually do my best work alone. Hubby was getting so overwhelmed, til I said, Oooookay, I'm spearheading now..... here's what we do FIRST.....don't get ahead of yourself,,,,,one step at a time. LOL Bless his heart....he said, "Well....I don't know....I'm NOT a carpenter!" He does an excellent job though...and is a master at the plumbing and electrical...and that's important!

LOL..... and the project grows......decided to re-stain/refinish the cabinets then stain the large cabinet reclaimed to use for the sink cabinet. Oh ugh, ...I gotta quit doing that stuff! It's taking forever to strip, sand, stain, etc. It's looking great, but it's taking way to long. We've been at it for almost a week now.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Thanks for all of the tips and advice!

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a range hood today. I know...I'm such a wimp. It takes me forever to make even the smallest decision.

Younglisa, I know you have remodeled an entire house during this time. Puts me to shame!

Beachmel are you hanging in there?

I knew I wanted a "real" vented vent hood. I don't trust those little blower units in microwaves or the cheapies that just spit air back into the kitchen. I went for 900 cfm, which should handle the 18-22K btus I plan to get out of the main burner on my range.

Still the decisions were sort of overwhelmeing: interior or exterior blower? 6" or 8" or 10" duct work? Putting everything together, at the best price possible, was where it got dicey.

So far, so good, Wish me luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating