Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that had white kitchen cabinets?
Yes. I adore them. 86 86.00%
No. I would run, not walk, away from a home that had them. 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

I'd love to vote on the poll, but I'm with beachmouse on this one....I'd have liked more options. Honestly, the color of the cabinets would mean nothing to me. What those cabinets were made of, however, would make a huge difference to me. If they were made out of that cheap particleboard, now THAT would make a difference. If you have real wood, you can do anything with them, make them whatever you want them to be. Also, the floor plan and amount of storage space and work surfaces would make a big difference. I would never let the color of a finish sway me one way or another, because that can be easily changed.

Edit: Okay, I thought I was done, but LOL....I'm so not. Not only would I buy a house if it had sturdy white cabinets, but I'd go one step further..... I would buy a house that had NO kitchen cabinets if the price was right! You see, when we bought our home, 20 yrs ago, we had one small base cabinet and a small open wall cupboard.....I'm not kidding. Also, most of the kitchen was unfinished (destroyed?) and had exposed 2x4 studs. The sink was one of those icky old single, cast-iron porcelain sinks with the drainboards on the sides....it was propped up on a rickety 2x4 frame with exposed plumbing beneath! The thing of it is....the price was tremendously RIGHT!

When we bought the place our friends thought we were absolutely crazy! It hadn't been painted in 40 years and had 8 windows broken out....it was a wreck...but again, the price was right. Within 2 months, we had folks stopping by our home, just to tell us how very grateful they were that WE had bought the place. The first step was to replace windows, reglaze all windows and put on a paint job.... It blew the community's mind.... a house that was the ugly ducking of the community all of a sudden became a swan.....just a little bit of elbow grease. We bought kitchen cabinets/cupboards at a cabinet warehouse and got enough for the whole kitchen for about $200. Has it taken some work? Oh you betcha....but we've had the opportunity to make it our own.

Last edited by beachmel; 10-15-2009 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Depends on the house, depends on the cabinets.

Yes:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pCtYBqw7SE...hold+house.jpg

No:
http://www.jrat.net/blog/uploaded_im...ore-781027.jpg

Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
We had those white/oak trim cabinets when we were renting from a slumlord down at the beach. The beach townhouse, while having a great location, had a ton of deferred maitenance issues, and we actually did not consider a house or two when we were looking because it had the same exact white/oak trim kitchen cabinets as the townhouse rental and we just couldn't associate anything that had to do with the townhouse with any sort of quality.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:51 AM

141 posts, read 634,122 times
Yeah why not, anything can be changed, and depending on how they look I might keep them.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I did not vote, but if came down to 2 houses and all other things were equal I would choose not to have white cabinets. Would white cabinets deter me from buying a house if it were otherwise the right house for me? Probably not, but they would cause me to lower my offer knowing they would be replaced before I moved in.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
I didn't buy a house with white cabinets. The cabinets were 1970s with the fake wood veneer... but they were painted yellow and green! With little sailboat wallpaper to compliment it!

/sigh

I put in white cabinets. I never heard of this "people don't like white cabinets" bit. In my opinion, some things can be "classic." I'm not saying white cabinets are classic or not. But, if a kitchen is done right, white can look just fine. See the pictures linked a few posts above

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
I didn't mean to post this as a post - it was for a poll I posted

Old 10-15-2009, 01:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Beautiful, well made white cabinets - SURE. Cheap Melanine white cabinets - probably not.

I was never a fan of "painted' cabinets (why would you hide the wood???) - until I saw an article on Christopher Peacock kitchens. They are goregous, and he usually uses white cabinets. Beautiful.

Less "trendy" looking than the wood tones, too.

Dark Oak = '70's.

Light "pickeled oak" = '80's.

Natural Oak with arched tops, = '90's.

Maple/Cherry = 90's/00's.

I love dark kitchen cabinets (cherry or walnut or even like the variation in hickory) - but am starting to think it will look dated very quickly. The Christopher Peacock kitchens (which are meant to evoke the early 1900's) - don't really look particularly dated to me. So I'm becoming a convert to colored (white/black/cream) kitchen cabinets.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:08 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
I voted yes... except I bought a house with oak cabinets, ripped them out, and put in gorgeous white painted maple cabinets, shaker style with beadboard inset. Classic and timeless.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It would depend on the house.
I look for structure, flow, volume, special amenities, area (physicality on a map), size of lot, etc.
I'm not going to judge a house strictly on the color of kitchen cabinets (or the color of carpet and walls). Besides, that can always be changed. Running from a house that had all the above mentioned criteria- that would be asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I did not vote, but if came down to 2 houses and all other things were equal I would choose not to have white cabinets. Would white cabinets deter me from buying a house if it were otherwise the right house for me? Probably not, but they would cause me to lower my offer knowing they would be replaced before I moved in.
What they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating