Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that had white kitchen cabinets?
Yes. I adore them. 86 86.00%
No. I would run, not walk, away from a home that had them. 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:56 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times

Advertisements

I would never run away from a nice white kitchen. There were so many posted that were so beautiful. If it was a poor quality cabinet and the price was not right-meaning I had to replace them , then I would surely run away.

We have been relocated and found a spec house where we were able to chose our cabinets. As we are out in the Midwest - we went with maple with a mocha glaze. We are happy with our choice-it is very cozy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Our house is a stone house built in 1927. A wild guess is that this will probably be at least the 4th remodeling of this kitchen. Due to the location of the kitchen and the very thick stone walls we can't extend it, and it has a very large window but faces north so is never bright. So white cupboards (actually a pale cream when we saw them in the store), very bright coloured wall tiles and bright paint (thinking yellow and blue, or yellow and green) will totally transform and brighten this kitchen. I've just taken the before pics this morning, but we aren't starting on the project until late Jan as we'll be travelling.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Default Sounds great

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Our house is a stone house built in 1927. A wild guess is that this will probably be at least the 4th remodeling of this kitchen. Due to the location of the kitchen and the very thick stone walls we can't extend it, and it has a very large window but faces north so is never bright. So white cupboards (actually a pale cream when we saw them in the store), very bright coloured wall tiles and bright paint (thinking yellow and blue, or yellow and green) will totally transform and brighten this kitchen. I've just taken the before pics this morning, but we aren't starting on the project until late Jan as we'll be traveling.
This sounds awesome. Some of us own historic homes and have the same dilemmas --restricted spaces(s), load-bearing beams, etc. -- challenges that elude new building. In addition, trying to combine design + quality while thinking of historic integrity. Please send pics if you can!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
This sounds awesome. Some of us own historic homes and have the same dilemmas --restricted spaces(s), load-bearing beams, etc. -- challenges that elude new building. In addition, trying to combine design + quality while thinking of historic integrity. Please send pics if you can!
Our house has very high ceilings and a built in pantry in the kitchen which I love. We also have a room off the kitchen which I think was used as a larder before they had iceboxes. The room has no heat and I use it for the full size fridge, washer and dryer and storage. Gets really cold, so I do laundry fast!

I will post before and after pics when we are done - some time in Feb.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Our house has very high ceilings and a built in pantry in the kitchen which I love. We also have a room off the kitchen which I think was used as a larder before they had iceboxes. The room has no heat and I use it for the full size fridge, washer and dryer and storage. Gets really cold, so I do laundry fast!

I will post before and after pics when we are done - some time in Feb.
Boy, I wish I had one of those rooms. Sounds like it would be the perfect place to store potatoes ... wine and stuff.... like an indoor root cellar.

The more you talk, the more it sounds like you're living in one of those old castles. Stone walls, larder room, etc.

Many years ago, I helped a contractor that was restoring an old mansion in Florida that had 2 kitchens, a bar and a meat room with meat hooks,.... etc.... Yours sounds like it might be similar.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Boy, I wish I had one of those rooms. Sounds like it would be the perfect place to store potatoes ... wine and stuff.... like an indoor root cellar.

The more you talk, the more it sounds like you're living in one of those old castles. Stone walls, larder room, etc.

Many years ago, I helped a contractor that was restoring an old mansion in Florida that had 2 kitchens, a bar and a meat room with meat hooks,.... etc.... Yours sounds like it might be similar.
Not a castle! Our house is a 3 bedroom traditional bungalow. Thick stone walls. Yes, the back room is great for keeping potatoes and wine and in the winter we can keep out beer, soda and it's nice and cold. This house used to have fireplaces in every room, but they were long gone when hub bought it 15 years ago. He converted it from coal heat to central LPG heating 10 years ago.

Our area is about to be designated a 'conservation village' which means you can't make improvements on the house w/o approval which is very strict. So just today we ordered new windows for the entire house. Ouch. Ai'nt cheap but tthey'll be good quality, last until after we're dead, and keep the house warmer.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Not a castle! Our house is a 3 bedroom traditional bungalow. Thick stone walls. Yes, the back room is great for keeping potatoes and wine and in the winter we can keep out beer, soda and it's nice and cold. This house used to have fireplaces in every room, but they were long gone when hub bought it 15 years ago. He converted it from coal heat to central LPG heating 10 years ago.

Our area is about to be designated a 'conservation village' which means you can't make improvements on the house w/o approval which is very strict. So just today we ordered new windows for the entire house. Ouch. Ai'nt cheap but tthey'll be good quality, last until after we're dead, and keep the house warmer.
Your house sounds wonderful.

I want one of those rooms for my taters !

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-05-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM

The coolest house I've ever been in belonged to my great aunt. It was built in the 1860's (Michigan). I would call it a castle.
-massive living room with plenty of room for 2 full seating areas and a big desk and fireplace, had sliding wood doors on each end of the living room
-formal dining room
-gorgeous woodwork all over the house, a huge foyer, a staircase in the front and another off the kitchen (servants quarters).
-Weird thing was no cupboards in the kitchen itself except for under the sink, but there was a big pantry off the kitchen with tons of cupboards.
-big front porch with one of those hanging swings and also a side porch.
-full attic, full basement
-5 bedrooms
-only one bath but it was huge and had one of those claw footed tubs
-filled with antiques.

I was heartbroken when it was sold when I was a teenager. It was because of this house that I have a love of old homes and antiques.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Your house sounds wonderful.

I want one of those rooms for my taters !
Thanks. Aside from the kitchen being too small I love it. Our view is awesome.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:02 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I just toured the This Old House project home in Newton, Massachusetts. It is a lovely 1915 Dutch Colonial with large beautifully detailed rooms and a lot of great charm. The project is extending the back out for a family room, powder room and back entrance hall downstairs with an office and library hall upstairs.

They are also redoing the kitchen and guess what the cabinets are? They are off-white painted wood to match cabinets in their existing butler's pantry. The kitchen is STUNNING. They have bronze cup handles and glass inserts. The countertops are gray. I think it is Corian (not my favorite) and the island is wood. The appliances are stainless GE Profile. It looks stunning.

I am sorry but I can just not see anything else going well in this type of home. Maybe if you are talking about a tract house or a McMansion, I can see other types of cabinets, but in an older home of colonial style, white cabinets look classic. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating