Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,124 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, someone in an earlier post suggested concrete or steel, and if it's a big dog(s) they may be right!! Our solution was to pick out some furniture that the dogs (3 Beagles) just don't like to lay on, such as a very deep cushioned chair: Just like us, they can't just jump out of them when the mailman comes to the door. Dogs seem to like a nice soft chair, but also one that can be gotten out of easily. Another one they don't seem to like is the "Hammock Chair". It has a wire frame all around and the thin fabric stretches over it. They just can't seem to get comfortable in them, while we think they are very comfortable and supporting.

Another approach to the dogs on the furniture problem is a bit of reverse psychology: Get the a chair or bed that they DO like, and it'll be just for them. Amazon has thousands of styles of doggie chairs and beds just for Fido - Just put in the search bar "Dog Beds : Dog Beds". The ones we chose are the,"Coolaroo Large Steel-Framed Pet Bed, Brunswick Green". They are elevated off the ground by a set of tubing that almost makes it a hammock for them. And since they are off the ground/floor, they are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.Once they figured out which one each one liked (They are all the same size and color - you figure!) It was heaven for us. They actually preferred these over our regular chairs and sofa! And don't forget a small pillow to round out the arrangement for them!

Another similar idea is the regular 'Doggie Bed' made just for them. It's oval in shape, with nice padded sides about 3/4 the way around the sides for some support and just lay on the floor. I was a little concerned about where to put them until Super Bowl Day and the dogs just moved them where they wanted them (Right next the food - did I mention that they are Beagles?

And just to get on their nerves for a change, with a small pillow for my head, the are great for watching TV. Just imagine: US using THEIR Chair or beds: It'll drive them crazy! They will sit there and whine until I get up and they get "their" chairs back!

Go ahead, have some fun messing with them...And if you can't get them going too well, just go back to the concrete and steel....LOLOL......Boy, I really love my dogs!!

FlaBill1957
Seminole, Fl

Last edited by FlaBill1957; 02-09-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,424,371 times
I came across a sofa at the ReStore that has slip covers, turns out its a very expensive sofa with down filled cushions but the covers are linen and wash up nicely so its easy to keep it looking nice. We have an ancient Jack Russel and a boisterous Great Pyr mix who loves to puppy bomb people while they are watching tv.

I would go with a decent sofa and slip covers over leather which can scratch and even tear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating