Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM

141 posts, read 632,614 times

Advertisements

I’m painting all the window casings in the house and in a few rooms going to do so before painting the rest of the room. Has anyone tried to use spray paint before? I have found primer in a spray paint as well. Let me know your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,981,320 times
Why would you spray paint it?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:59 PM

141 posts, read 632,614 times
Easer then going over with a bruch, and I could get in to every single crease.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,513,084 times
All the masking makes it harder - with a steady hand you can do windows nicely and quickly - Get an angle brush and you don't even need to mask. If you are going to get into creases with the spray I think you are going to wind up with drips and runs. You can dab that with a brush.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
I really would NOT try spray painting.....

Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,077,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
All the masking makes it harder - with a steady hand you can do windows nicely and quickly - Get an angle brush and you don't even need to mask. If you are going to get into creases with the spray I think you are going to wind up with drips and runs. You can dab that with a brush.
What she said. I'd be worried about overspray.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,686,077 times
Mandy,
I have had great success using one of those 4" rollers that gets into corners. OMG it makes the job so much easier! Keep a nice angle brush handy for anything you can't get with the roller, but I'm telling you, those skinny 4" rollers are a God send. Of course, you'll have to tape on the windows, but the speed in which you can do those casings and frames....wow! As far as the frames go, you'll still have to use the brush to go along the outside edge near the walls though. I rarely use fat rollers anymore...I'm hooked on those skinny guys, especially the ones that have the fiber all the way around the ends. LOL...my new little friends.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,981,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I totally agree.
angled brush and hold it close up to the crimp .(you know the crimped metal part)
that makes it waaay easier than if you held it only by the handle.
Also dab into pain but wipe the outside edge( right side if you're righty, left side if you're lefty) of the bristles only so the bulk of the paint is deposited onto the casing and not on the wall.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 AM

17,415 posts, read 65,584,777 times
Let's clarify a few things:

"angle brush", the correct term would be- sash brush.
And the anatomy of a brush:

O.K. (?)

Now, as far as spray painting- Why not?
Almost every new home that is built today that has trim is sprayed. Regardless of the type of paint, latex/oil enamel. Generally, production painters shoot all the trim first (why? Well, for two reasons. One, it's easier to cut-in walls then to try to cut-in trim, and two- it easier to clean latex paint off of dried oil/enamel.), then roll the walls after cutting-in.

Mandy- in your case I assume you're talking about aerosol spray cans. That would require a bit of masking (aerosol cans produce a lot more overspray than airless sprayers) unless you plan on spraying the window sashes also. Clean up is just a razorblade away.
All it would require is a good coat of primer after a good sanding. Then sand the primer coat smooth, remove all the dust with a vacuum and brush- and you're ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating