Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really like Scott McGillivray on Income Property. Right now that is my fav show on HGTV. But I have to admit that my preference for shows is fluid. I enjoy House Hunters but I am so sick of "granite countertops" and "stainless steel appliances." Hello....there are things that are more important in a house.

I'd be happy just to watch Carter on Carter Can just stand around. He's so cute.

I can't think of anyone I'd like to punch out although Candace Olson bothers me from time to time.

Now, if I'm watching the Design Star competition it is usually the contestants that I want to deck.
Scott is HOT !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Not everyone operates on your budget.
Your post is a bit superior, thats not very nice.
I've done whole rooms for clients where the budget was specified for 10K or less, and was able to find high quality furniture, etc.
You're putting us working professionals in a bad light, please dont do that.
Real professionals work within whatever the clients budget allows, as long as they can pay us, we're happy if they're happy.
ETA: your fabricator is ripping you off, and I can find Kravat for less than $30 per yard, on the internet.

Line by line:

I was just throwing 20K out there are a random budget. Yes, I can afford to spend what a lot of people cannot, however in terms of true interior design, 20K on the low end for a living room. I'm not even talking about using well known designers here.

If I may ask, how is my post superior? That was not my intention, but some people truly have no idea of what things really cost. It's not like I'm making any of this up. I think you're reading into what I'm saying another way, and I don't have any control over that. I'm just being very straight forward.

I'm sure you can do a room for 10K, but a 10K room won't have the same results of a 15K room. A 15K room won't look the same as a 20K room and so on and so forth. That's just truth. Again, budget doesn't mean cheap, but come on, there's only so much one can get of high quality for 10K. If someone is trying to completely redesign a living room for 10K, they're going to have to reuse to some existing furniture and stuff. You can barely get reproduction antiques for that much. A Baker sofa will cost 10K. You can't go to Thomasville, which is very middle of the road, and refit a living room for 10K.

I don't think I'm putting working professionals in a bad light at all. Any interior designer worth their salt will be tell people what things cost. Labor is a large part of the cost. Upholsterers, seamstresses, installers, painters all have to be paid. And, like I said, I'm sure you can work within whatever parameter for your clients, but lets be honest, some designers won't take on the job if people aren't spending a certain amount of money. Honestly, starting out, I would do the 10K rooms, but there would be a certain point when that would end.

There are some Kravet fabrics that you're only going to find through designers or reputable fabric stores. For example, Windsor Smith has a line through Kravet that you're not going to find on the net. You can barely get it from Kravet.

I don't mean to be, mean or anything, but I'm a realist.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,201 times
Mike Holmes is very good. He is like most Canadian contractors - they know their stuff, and will do the very best job they can do.
I loved the episode where they went down to Pasadena to do the house that was featured on Ellen Degeneres show. I think it was called Pasadena 911. Showed the differences in how Canada/Cali build different - Our primary concern is for cold, theirs is for earthquakes.

Sandra Rinomato is actually quite good. I have heard some people talk bad about her, but she really does deal well with first time buyers. Brings them back down to earth when their eyes are bigger than their wallets.

Kind of love/hate the girl from 'For Rent'. Her name is Jodi Gilmour. She's super cute, she knows her stuff about rentals, but her stupid valley girl type voice is ridiculous!

I wish they would do more shows that showcase the rest of Canada. Our country is more than just Toronto/Ontario for crying out loud.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:25 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Line by line:
If I may ask, how is my post superior? That was not my intention, but some people truly have no idea of what things really cost. It's not like I'm making any of this up. I think you're reading into what I'm saying another way, and I don't have any control over that. I'm just being very straight forward.
I believe it was the part where you said, "I'm curious, where would you look? I'm positive wherever it is, the furniture isn't good quality."

And then,
"Sourcing, "things," is not nearly the same as being a interior designer."

It does come off a bit harsh.

That said, I personally enjoy Sarah's House even though I will never have a $20G budget for one room of my house. I have no problem with people spending their money however they see fit but my guess is that the majority of viewers of HGTV aren't in that economic bracket.

I'm not a huge fan of Design on a Dime but I do like their 0$ redo spots. I think that people often have good pieces but just don't understand the best way to layout their room. Its interesting to see how much better a room can look just by rearranging it.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM

107 posts, read 214,328 times
HARD SLAP....I absolutely HATE Genevieve. She comes across as a sarcastic snob and was a mean b*tch of a judge. And I've seen her ruin nice rooms by giving "the husband" exactly the design he wanted even though what he described was absurd. But I do think she has the talent and know how.

Slap...I despise Design on a Dime. They always have to do a craft/art project that looks horrible and tacky. They'd be better off using the money from the art/craft project on better fabrics for curtains and not bothering with the artwork (which is often cheap fabric in frames).

Slap to HGTV....waaaay too much House Hunters for me on all day. Seems every time I put on the TV there it is again. Although it is fun to see how tiny (w/few amenities) and old the houses are in Europe or how inexpensive and big the houses are in the southeastern US compared to the northeast. Just not 10 times a day, OK?

My favorites are Design to Sell (Lisa Porter editions), Candace Olson (although I've given up watching as $ seems not to be an issue for Candace's clients so can't use her for inspiration), and Holmes on Homes (just wish he'd slow down and do more diy how-to explanations from step 1 all the way through...could learn a lot).

Old 12-14-2010, 04:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I believe it was the part where you said, "I'm curious, where would you look? I'm positive wherever it is, the furniture isn't good quality."

And then,
"Sourcing, "things," is not nearly the same as being a interior designer."

It does come off a bit harsh.
I could not have said it better myself, thank you!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Mike Holmes is very good. He is like most Canadian contractors - they know their stuff, and will do the very best job they can do.
Another Canadian pats himself on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
I wish they would do more shows that showcase the rest of Canada. Our country is more than just Toronto/Ontario for crying out loud.
Yeah, it's Vancouver too.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Okay- I want to send a slap out (anyone remember mid 90s hip hop radio??) to Sabrina Soto. I swear to gawd she just did the stupidest staging even on Real Estate Intervnetion. Switched out a brass chandelier for a cheap Lowe's black/glass model to not 'date' a 120 year old row house. The took all the furniture out of a living room to give it a sense of space- because nothing says spacious like a room that only holds two arm chairs?? And she replaced some nice if semi-granny/cottage looking dishes on the wall with dishes that looked like they came 6 to a pack from Sams Club.

I know we like a good flaming argument here- but can we agree that cheaping down a house with marginal if current items is not going to attract someone shopping 100+ year old homes in a city. If they wanted the burbs they would shop the burbs. So my slap for today goes to Miss Soto.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
What can I say, we know our stuff !
I'm willing to give a thumbs up when A fellow countryman shines...

Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If you ever want proof that Canadian niceness and competence isn't universal, track down some classic episodes of 'Buy Me'- plenty of entitlement, outright nastiness, passive-aggressiveness, and delusion. (as well as at least one case of what sadly looked like mental illness) So many more real characters than the similar US-produced 'My First Sale'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating