Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,914,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
You'd be surprised. I didn't say I spent that kind of cash, but I certainly know people that do and have. It's not as uncommon as one would think.
It's not uncommon but it's also not typical. I'm a furniture snob and reupholster furniture now and then and your prices are very high for a typical piece. Sure you CAN spend that much but you can get top-class, handmade for MUCH cheaper than that any day of the week.

I got a 93" sofa from a well-respected company who handmakes 100% of their pieces in NC last year. Made to orderKiln-dried hardwood frames (double-doweled and glued with blocked corners and joint breakers), a mixture of high quality high density foam (2.5 on the seat and 2.0 on the tight-back), top-notch spring construction, COM with a fabric we had them procure from a 3rd party (so it wasn't even their own in-stock fabric) and we came in at $1750 WITH white-glove delivery service out of state. So, while you CAN spend $2700 on a single chair, that is HIGHLY uncommon: just use my numbers for a long, custom SOFA compared to what you quoted for a chair. You might as well say you can spend $10,000 on a chair because, while that is true, it is also highly uncommon.

Also your numbers are pretty far fetched in general. I have NEVER used more than 7 yards on a chair of any style (even overstuffed or wingback). Typically 5-7 yards for a chair with upholstered arms and a loose cushion and a tight back. If you need 10 yards, you better be doing a chair-and-a-half or a small loveseat. Heck I could do an entire 72" sofa of a mid-century style with 10 yards of fabric. And $2000 for labor for drapes for a single-window? Did you add a 0? Because that number is off by a factor of 10 haha. Drapery sewing is so easy. My wife does our own and knocks out 2 windows in an afternoon or our local dry cleaner does it for $75/panel. If you know where she can get paid $400/hour please let me know because she is in the wrong field! Also, you stated 10 yards of fabric for a single panel? Are you assuming a typical window in someones home is 29' tall? Even for 14' tall ceilings (higher than most) you only need 5 yards for a single panel.

Last edited by Sunbather; 01-22-2013 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM

503 posts, read 772,913 times
Does Egypt Sherrod ever sell a house to a property virgin?? Seems like every episode she has to have a "heart to heart" after showing them 100 houses...... I like her though

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I wouldn't let any of those people in my house.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 AM

Personality, looks, and all the other stuff aside, Genevieve Gorder and Sarah Richardson do generally have a very good eye for several different styles of designs; use a wide variety of colors, textures and patterns; and can pull a room together well - even when it is done in a style I am not a big fan of. Emily Henderson is another one who I actually do like, because she just so happens to have a design style very similar to my own which I find interesting because she is about the only one on HGTV who shares a similar style to me.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,984 times
I like Candace Olsen's work the best and David Bromsted's the least. Candace has designed very pretty and functional rooms and I love her color schemes. Anthony Carrino of "Kitchen Cousins" is the best looking of all the designers and building contractors bar none. He is just gorgeous! He and his cousin John do some very nice kitchen designs and I particularly like their older brownstone renovations. They are in a new show called "Cousins to the rescue" where they'll be designing and renovating entire houses - it is on tonight at 8:00. HGTV needed some fresh blood.

I'm bored with most of HGTV's other shows. The contractor Holmes is very good and knows his stuff but puts me to sleep. I don't think I can watch another episode of House Hunters, Property Virgins, Income Property, Property Brothers et al.

Anybody remember Hilde from Trading Spaces? She was terrible. I remember she put about 500 nails into a wall hanging record ablums and used some kind of grass like stuff on another among other horrors. I guess she never heard of resale value.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
I like Candace Olsen's work the best and David Bromsted's the least. Candace has designed very pretty and functional rooms and I love her color schemes. Anthony Carrino of "Kitchen Cousins" is the best looking of all the designers and building contractors bar none. He is just gorgeous! He and his cousin John do some very nice kitchen designs and I particularly like their older brownstone renovations. They are in a new show called "Cousins to the rescue" where they'll be designing and renovating entire houses - it is on tonight at 8:00. HGTV needed some fresh blood.

I'm bored with most of HGTV's other shows. The contractor Holmes is very good and knows his stuff but puts me to sleep. I don't think I can watch another episode of House Hunters, Property Virgins, Income Property, Property Brothers et al.

Anybody remember Hilde from Trading Spaces? She was terrible. I remember she put about 500 nails into a wall hanging record ablums and used some kind of grass like stuff on another among other horrors. I guess she never heard of resale value.

yeah, I pretty much agree with this.

Holmes, while smart - yawn

I miss Sandra though, a lot. I am still not over the loss of her show. Egypt is nice, but it just ain't the same.

property bros, who said about chicklet veneers, i am still laughing.....

Income property, his voice is annoying, just annoying.

and i still say, the cousins need to lose their shirts. please.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yeah, I pretty much agree with this.

Holmes, while smart - yawn

I miss Sandra though, a lot. I am still not over the loss of her show. Egypt is nice, but it just ain't the same.

property bros, who said about chicklet veneers, i am still laughing.....

Income property, his voice is annoying, just annoying.

and i still say, the cousins need to lose their shirts. please.
And I really agree with this!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM

803 posts, read 1,880,171 times
lol to the op, thats so funny what you said about candace olsen, as i had just recently noticed that too about her.. blue and brown..

ok the ones i cant stand have to be Sandra Rinamato from house hunters and the list or stay hosts.. ugh such terrible acting! ..

for Sandra, i dont think shes a host anymore for house hunters, but i always thought that with some clients she had a bit of an attitude and i dont like when she would show a homebuyer a home and not tell them the price when she knew it was wayyyy out of their price budget. yeah its supposed to be an eye opener and yes the shows probably entirely scripted but still!

now for the list or stay show, the hosts are constantly bickering and the homeowners are bickering too and the bickering always comes across as fake acting and totally staged and yes i know its a show but still.

sabrina soto is good. she has alot of cool ideas and she has a book that i like too. carter oosterhouse is cool and i like that show with the twin brothers, they really makeover the homes nicely before the family moves in and they always seem upfront and honest with their clients.

all in all i have to say, even tho sandra gets on my nerves sometimes, i still love house hunters prob the best!! if anyone deserves a smack its those dumb homebuyers.. theres was one where the newlywed couple were all about granite, and they saw a house and they ran to the counter and were in love with it because it was granite. then sandra told them that it wasnt granite, but it was actually corian. and then the couple were like oh well, then no we dont want that then, it has to be granite. Sandra told them it was not bad that its in great condition and that it didnt need to be replaced but they were so adament about the granite it was so stupid. that couple needed a smack. lol

the other couple who pissed me off was a texas couple who were lookin for a house and sandra found them an awesome house. lower than price range, all renovated everything. the wife said oh it doesnt have a 2nd sink in the master. the husband was like? r u serious we loved that house! the wife said "yeah i really do it has everything but all my life whenever i was thinking about a dream home it always had a 2nd master sink" Sandra was totally annoyed with them so was i and so was the husband. that wife needed a smack and that husband needed a smack too for staying with that dumbass!! lol

ok the most annoying homebuyer has to be that guy who omg i cant remember if it was florida or california but they wanted to buy a house and he saw the tiniest little scratch on thekitchen cabinets and said all the cabinets needed to be removed and the wife was like the hardwood floors too because small wood planks is so 80s/90s and outdated and wide planks of wood are in now. then the guy was saying that the house needed all new toilets because he cant sit on a toilet that someone else sat on.. and they added up all these crazy unnecessary renovations and wanted the seller to take it off the listing price. the real estate agent hosting the show looked like she was in total shock with the buyers. so that couple needs a smack too lol

i still love hgtv!!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Sandra was on Property Virgins, not House Hunters.

but your right, most of the hunters, need to be smacked really hard, maybe even twice.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM

Yes they do :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating