Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 AM

204 posts, read 911,543 times

Advertisements

I really like Sandra Rinomato on Propert Virgins because she at least makes an attempt to reign in unrealistic expectations; she says the things you think or scream at the tv about the annoying people on house hunters.

I love Sarah Richardson and Candace Olson because they pull off very finished, refined spaces that aren't stuffy.

Dislike:

Tanya Nayack- annoying, not talented

Sabrina Soto- annoying, smug, too trendy doesn't do anything that won't look dated soon

David Bromstad- nice enough, but those awful paintings, he can sometimes just ruin a space

Barry? from Hidden Potential- some interesting designs, but just too smug and he is a little too ADHD for my taste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
I really like Sandra Rinomato on Propert Virgins because she at least makes an attempt to reign in unrealistic expectations; she says the things you think or scream at the tv about the annoying people on house hunters.

but Sandra isn't on there anymore

Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM

204 posts, read 911,543 times
I don't own a tv, so I only watch online. That is unfortunate, was she replaced?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Someone on another board was on one of the DC episodes of Property Virgins, and reported it's almost as fake as House Hunters. She was also already under contract at the time of filming, her 'dream neighborhood' was an area she had zero interest in ever living in, and Sandra, while very nice, was only there to do the set shots.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OMG, remember how they always used to put a fitted sheet on a twin mattress and call it a sofa? Eeek.

I cannot stand hearing the Canadians say hoose. That pretty much covers everyone on HGTV. Hillary on Love It or List It is especially annoying, and so is the requisite mock battle on every episode between her and the homeowners. I do love the teal and blue blouse she wears on their promos, though.

I liked Sandra Rinomato a lot. Wish she'd come back. She really seemed to know her business.
Jumping channels again I found this newer show, Nicole Curtis is host of DIY's series "Rehab Addict". She bought a condemned house for a dollar from the city and is restoring it. Interesting so far.

"Sweat Equity" on DIY is also a more interesting show to me as well. Perhaps because both are filmed in my area. Haven't heard anything about them yet.

But neither show says "Hoose", unless I am so close to Canada myself that I don't notice it

Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Jumping channels again I found this newer show, Nicole Curtis is host of DIY's series "Rehab Addict". She bought a condemned house for a dollar from the city and is restoring it. Interesting so far.
I like that show as well. She doesn't rip the soul out of a house just to make it new and sparkly.

And she rarely uses the word "open", unless it's to restore a doorway or a window that's been blocked.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
I don't think opening up floor plans necessarily rips the soul out of a house. It all depends on the house itself and the architectural characteristics it has. People lived differently when a lot of these houses were built, and the floor plans usually reflect that. Also, typically they are tearing down walls in homes that have very little architectural charm to them other than nostalgia if someone may have grown up in that kind of home. There is a reason these types of homes get renovated: they are usually very cheap on the market compared to other homes due to low demand as a result of repair work needed and floor plans that are less than functional and thus you can afford a renovation budget into the cost of the house. Same thing goes on near where I live and I'm sure many parts of the country.

I haven't seen too many people gut homes that had a lot of real charm or strong architectural details (at least not to me) that outweighed some of the dysfunctional floor plans. There certainly are older style homes that I love and wouldn't change hardly anything in, but those are in the minority or are very expensive homes to begin with and thus it wouldn't make much sense to "renovate."

I love vintage furniture, i love old houses, but I don't see anything wrong with giving them a facelift or renovating something old to be more functional in a modern setting.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Slightly off topic, but I really miss the shows that actually TAUGHT something.

Gardening by the Yard
Another show with a black guy who would teach people how to make relatively simple home repairs, etc.

Now it's all just fabulous houses or houses being remodeled. It gets boring (to me).

Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Yea I can agree there. Or when they do teach something these days, they gloss over it and make it seem SUPER easy. For example, I feel bad for the inexperienced people who expect to go out and sand and stain a piece of furniture in 30 minutes haha.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
As mentioned before, David Bromstad's "art" pieces are so awful. And people act like they are receiving real art by a famous person. I've never liked his stuff, it starts out good but awry real quickly with poor art and accessories, not to mention the usual one two punch of bold strong color. He has a certain smirk on his face that doesn't appeal to me, like looking into the sun after being caught being naughty. Very child-like.

My son at 8 years old painted better paintings than david bromstad. They are freaking ugly.

he cant help the smirk, thats his real face.

i am not a fan. ugh that was so HGTV talk....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating