Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:57 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I stole the idea from hiknapsters wildly popular thread over on the Food and Drink board, "Which TV chef/cook would you like to SLAP AROUND?" for this thread.

I watch HGTV a LOT, not sure about the rest of you , but I have some definite favorites, and those who I don't like so much.

Mike Aubrey(?) from Real Estate Intervention. This guy tells it like it is. I have to admit his show has made me cry b4 when I see people who are about to lose everything. I've also gotten majorly irritated by some of the people who think they know more than him. He escapes a slap, altho some of the people on his show might not fare so well.

David Bromstad from Color Splash. I really like him. Not only his designs, but HE is visually pleasing as well. Same w/ Carter from Carter Can

Candace Olsen would get a smack perhaps. Does everything have to be blue, brown, and modern? I guess if that's what you are into, but her style seems redundant and unimaginative to me. Smack!

Sabrina Soto...she is likeable enough, but I've seen her destroy far too many pieces of vintage/antique in place of new cheap things to stage a house that she would definitely get a smack.

I'm sure there are a lot more, these are just off the top of my head.

So which HGTV stars do you love to hate? Or just hate? Or love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Candace Olsen does have a definite style you can spot.
I do love her kitchen renovations though.
If I had to give one of them the slap, Vern Yip, Jeezz, he irritates me

Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
I really like Scott McGillivray on Income Property. Right now that is my fav show on HGTV. But I have to admit that my preference for shows is fluid. I enjoy House Hunters but I am so sick of "granite countertops" and "stainless steel appliances." Hello....there are things that are more important in a house.

I'd be happy just to watch Carter on Carter Can just stand around. He's so cute.

I can't think of anyone I'd like to punch out although Candace Olson bothers me from time to time.

Now, if I'm watching the Design Star competition it is usually the contestants that I want to deck.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
It's been a while since I've watched anything on that network, but it's about the only thing some of my family members watch. Guess it beats actually working on stuff around the house...

- Any of the flip this house (and all its copies) hosts
- A number of the ones on Trading Spaces or similar shows that get this great idea to paint brick some awful color.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Now, if I'm watching the Design Star competition it is usually the contestants that I want to deck.
I liked Antonio this year tho. Haven't seen his show yet, I wonder if it'll be any good ?

I agree on the House Hunters, granite. steel, etc....blah, blah, blah. I like when they do it in areas w/ Historic homes tho. Whenever they are in Savannah GA there is always at least one really fantastic home.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
Slap. I like Property Virgins, but Sandra Rinomato's lips are disgusting. When she puckers up, her mouth no longer looks like lips because of all the creases around them. Ewww. Wrinkles don't bother me. Creases that transform your lips into another body part are nasty.

Slap. David Bromstad. Can he please wear a normal shirt. The great arms don't distract me from the fact he is highly annoying.

Slap. This woman on My First Place the other night. My First Place : Home & Garden Television "Oh, I'll be stretched for awhile, but I'll make it work". Umm, notice the housing market is the way it is because of all the other homeowners out there who felt the same way at one time?!?! What makes you think you'll be different? You're single! Do you need a 3 bed, 2 story house with the decked out kitchen that you admit you'll probably not use because you can't cook? That's right, it's about looks. Never mind that looming short sale or foreclosure. That'll look good on your credit.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Slap. I like Property Virgins, but Sandra Rinomato's lips are disgusting. When she puckers up, her mouth no longer looks like lips because of all the creases around them. Ewww. Wrinkles don't bother me. Creases that transform your lips into another body part are nasty.

Slap. David Bromstad. Can he please wear a normal shirt. The great arms don't distract me from the fact he is highly annoying.

Slap. This woman on My First Place the other night. My First Place : Home & Garden Television "Oh, I'll be stretched for awhile, but I'll make it work". Umm, notice the housing market is the way it is because of all the other homeowners out there who felt the same way at one time?!?! What makes you think you'll be different? You're single! Do you need a 3 bed, 2 story house with the decked out kitchen that you admit you'll probably not use because you can't cook? That's right, it's about looks. Never mind that looming short sale or foreclosure. That'll look good on your credit.
I bet Sandra smokes about three packs a day. Those lip creases do not look like a natural part of the aging process . I do like her tho.

David is kinda annoying. My DH absolutely refuses to watch that show and makes me turn the channel if he's home. He's so cute tho

I think I missed that episode of My First Place

Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
I wanna smack David, OMG, he is sooooooooo annoying!
Also, anyone that does a room in 24 hours on $1000.
Its been my experience that homeowners actually think that real-life designers and decorators can do that!!!!!!
This designer doesnt roll like that! Rant over.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Default Candace rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Candace Olsen would get a smack perhaps. Does everything have to be blue, brown, and modern? I guess if that's what you are into, but her style seems redundant and unimaginative to me. Smack!
Are you kidding? Candace Olsen is one of the best designers on HGTV. Maybe blue, brown and modern are her signature colors/looks but she doesn't use cheap, ugly design crap like you see on "Design on a Dime" and some other generic beginner shows. She's one of the few that incorporates antiques and vintage pieces successfully, she's got an eye on combining wood and other textures, she always considers lighting in her designs, and she's one of the best in utilizing custom fabrics in both color and content. Her final products always show designs when thought out as a whole and not in fragments.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,081 times
Actually, I think a smack for whoever runs Design on a Dime. Not because it's a terrible idea or a bad show; rearranging and clever use of things for cheap redo of a space isn't bad at all. But they always (or they used to, haven't watched in awhile) wind up building stuff that would cost a fortune to buy. Yes, they're paying for the lumber, but they have all the saws, tables, routers, etc, etc -- stuff that would be very expensive to buy and own -- and doing things that the average person doesn't have the skill for. Wordworking isn't rocket science, but it does required patience, a certain talent, and a lot of practice. That's why carpenters get paid!!! They could raise some sheep and grow some beets and wind up with purple wool fabric that they didn't have to buy, too, but it's completely impractical for the average person.

Just seems mean to tease people watching the show thinking, "Gee, *I* could have a totally neat-looking room for just $1,000" (or whatever they spend now). But when they build the furniture and count only the cost of materials, they're selling a fantasy unless you've got the tools and know-how already!

I know it's a fine line. You SHOULD save money by assembling things yourself. It's a slipper slope from, say, stapling fabric over batting to replace covers on a chair down to building a new dresser. But I do get irritated when I see them give a $200 price on a $1500 piece of furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating