Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Painting cabinetry what you think
Yes...painting cabinetry is more modern and stylish. 0 0%
No...painting cabinetry only give you a new look at a cheaper cost of renovation. 10 55.56%
I love painted cabinets 5 27.78%
I don't care for painted cabinets 8 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Count me among the few.

Sorry, it isn't. It really isn't.

Virtually every commercial on TV these days for some sort of household product shows a kitchen with white cabinets. Now, I don't know if that is because they film better or what, but there is a definite trend in that direction. And I'm not just saying that because I love white cabinets
Granite is a natural product of nature. Would you paint it? Grass is a natural product of nature. Would you paint it? Even dirt is a natural product of nature. Would you paint it? Wood is a natural product of nature......why paint it? It is beautiful just as it is.

Less then 10% of all cabinet sales in the USA and Canada are white. Sources: NKBA NARI NAHB KCMA

You are probably right about the ads mostly having white kitchens. I agree there though I dont like it because it does not represent the whole. What you see on HGTV does not make for trends. Take those shows for the entertainment value only. Those shows have done more harm to the construction, remodeling and the interior design industries then the economic depression has.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:03 PM

354 posts, read 2,075,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What you see on HGTV does not make for trends. Take those shows for the entertainment value only. Those shows have done more harm to the construction, remodeling and the interior design industries then the economic depression has.
You get what I'm talking about with HGTV. I was bored so I watch a few shows this past weekend to see what people are doing and everytime you get one of those Realtors, Home Decor or handyman they always saying someone cabinets are outdated. Some people may have nice wood stain cabinetry but b'c' it 5 to 10 years old it's outdated. So what do they suggest? You already know the answer. I would personly change into a natural stone top (only if I had laminate or butcherboard), hardware, updating lighting and new fixture. I notice with the highend kitchen and baths reno's they use laminated for their choice. Do you get a lot of highend customers wanting laminate cabinetry?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
We painted our kitchen cabinets dark green a few years back- a remuddle had messed up the finish to beyond repair, and we figured paint would be a way of more comfortably living with the kitchen until we felt like we could justify tearing out what are perfectly functional cabinets that just weren't our taste.

Add in some new hardware and replaced appliances, and the only thing I'd really like to change in there right now is swapping out the laminate counters for lab resin.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times
I just looked at a house that was entirely ca. 1974. It was great place but the kitchen was all oak with a dropped florescent ceiling. My agent told me that other clients of hers purchased a place with a similar kitchen and then had it professionally painted with a white lacquer-type paint and that it turned out really well. My first choice would be a new kitchen but my second would be to try painting it vs. looking at that ugly '70's oak everyday.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Granite is a natural product of nature. Would you paint it? Grass is a natural product of nature. Would you paint it? Even dirt is a natural product of nature. Would you paint it? Wood is a natural product of nature......why paint it? It is beautiful just as it is.

Less then 10% of all cabinet sales in the USA and Canada are white. Sources: NKBA NARI NAHB KCMA

You are probably right about the ads mostly having white kitchens. I agree there though I dont like it because it does not represent the whole. What you see on HGTV does not make for trends. Take those shows for the entertainment value only. Those shows have done more harm to the construction, remodeling and the interior design industries then the economic depression has.
Wood is natural product, yet you stain it. Why shouldn't you paint it then?

The woodwork in most new homes are painted so why must the cabinets be stained?

Desert, you live in a part of the country that does not have a lot of older traditional or colonial homes. In the northeast, midwest and parts of the south, painted cabinets are accepted because they match the style of the homes. There are not the large number of tract homes or sontemporary homes being built here. There are older homes that are being remodeled and those homes are the ones with painted cabinets.

Now can we please end this debate already? Jay

Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM

354 posts, read 2,075,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
my second would be to try painting it vs. looking at that ugly '70's oak everyday.
Underneath the paint you will still have that 70's look right. So could it be safe to say that the cabinet doors and hardware is outdated not the look of natural wood? Unless oak isn't one of your preference choice of cabinetry.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
Underneath the paint you will still have that 70's look right. So could it be safe to say that the cabinet doors and hardware is outdated not the look of natural wood? Unless oak isn't one of your preference choice of cabinetry.
I don't like oak anything. I don't even like wood furniture except for maybe some teak. Actually the cabinets themselves weren't that dated looking. Even the hardware was a pretty neutral stainless steel. I've seen some pretty cool exotic wood resurfacing on that PBS re-hab show and that would be the best choice for the money but still way more expensive than painting.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:53 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Gotta love the "I'm and expert so what I say goes" attidute on the forums!

Decorating experts ususally aren't and are usually the last ones to take advice from as they are usually locked into whatever it was they learned on their short and limited path to expertdom. Just check out the online resources, you will see painted cabinets in a big way using big money. Maybe not in cookie cutter tract home that experts decorate..but you know, by stylish trendsetters who never ask for approval.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Gotta love the "I'm and expert so what I say goes" attidute on the forums!

Decorating experts ususally aren't and are usually the last ones to take advice from as they are usually locked into whatever it was they learned on their short and limited path to expertdom. Just check out the online resources, you will see painted cabinets in a big way using big money. Maybe not in cookie cutter tract home that experts decorate..but you know, by stylish trendsetters who never ask for approval.
Are you saying that a person who watches HGTV from their home sofa is more of an expert then an Interior Designer with a 4 year degree and years and years experience?

Old 11-19-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wood is natural product, yet you stain it. Why shouldn't you paint it then?

The woodwork in most new homes are painted so why must the cabinets be stained?

Desert, you live in a part of the country that does not have a lot of older traditional or colonial homes. In the northeast, midwest and parts of the south, painted cabinets are accepted because they match the style of the homes. There are not the large number of tract homes or sontemporary homes being built here. There are older homes that are being remodeled and those homes are the ones with painted cabinets.

Now can we please end this debate already? Jay
Because stain maintains the beauty of the wood grain. Paint covers it.

Yes you are right, but this is a newer trend. Just as little as 10 years ago most all trim was pine. It was either finger joint (paintable) or solid (stainable). Most decent builders stained and pollyed all trim. Today Builders just bang on cardboard trim, caulk it in, and spray bomb the whole interior with white. Saves money ya know.

And your last paragraph I will just say yes. I am well familiar with that part of the country and the styles of homes. And I love them too.

Oops, didn't see your last sentence till now. Peace man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating