Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM

26 posts, read 44,094 times

Advertisements

I have recently (within the last year) developed a penchant for a more minimalist home. I've thrown away and had hauled away years worth of stuff that I realize my husband and I no longer use and was just taking up space. I also rid our house of a lot of bulky furniture. Our home wasn't super cluttered to begin with...it was just a typical home...but now it is open and fresh, and I just like it so much better. I wish I'd done this years ago.

I'd love to go even more minimalist than I have, but my husband is still reeling in shock from what I've done so far. So better not to push him too far .

Anybody else here who is more of a minimalist when it comes to your home? Do you have any ideas or stories that you would like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
YES! I'm getting there! It's more difficult for me because I live with a couple of hoarders and spend much of my "housekeeping" energy moving stuff from one place to another or working around things that don't have any place better to be. I've always been the type to get rid of things I don't use and I love the feeling that comes from seeing bags and boxes leave my house and garage.. but I have to be a little sneaky about it so the others don't freak out and try to salvage stuff before it leaves.

I recently did a declutter of the master bedroom when I painted it. Even though it wasn't as complete as I would have liked (my husband has too many clothes for the drawers and closet space so it ends up in piles on top the dresser) I moved some things out and got everything off the floor and it made me see comfortable the room can be.

I think it will be my 2010 resolution to eliminate as much "stuff" from my life as possible. Which will come in handy since I may be downsizing to a smaller place on my own in the not too distant future.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM

26 posts, read 44,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
YES! I'm getting there! It's more difficult for me because I live with a couple of hoarders and spend much of my "housekeeping" energy moving stuff from one place to another or working around things that don't have any place better to be. I've always been the type to get rid of things I don't use and I love the feeling that comes from seeing bags and boxes leave my house and garage.. but I have to be a little sneaky about it so the others don't freak out and try to salvage stuff before it leaves.

I recently did a declutter of the master bedroom when I painted it. Even though it wasn't as complete as I would have liked (my husband has too many clothes for the drawers and closet space so it ends up in piles on top the dresser) I moved some things out and got everything off the floor and it made me see comfortable the room can be.

I think it will be my 2010 resolution to eliminate as much "stuff" from my life as possible. Which will come in handy since I may be downsizing to a smaller place on my own in the not too distant future.
Yep, I totally agree. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this. It's kind of new for me, so I'm trying to learn how to organize better, and how to make the best use of space. I also want to decorate my home in a minimalist way, but use what I have to the best extent so that my hubbys' and my home still has warmth and some semblance of charm.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 PM

165 posts, read 1,284,787 times
We went in this direction after staging our last home when we put it for sale. I followed a lot of the recommendations for getting stuff off the wall, dumping fake flowers, ditching a lot of knick-knacks, removing a third of the furniture from every room. My husband thought a lot of these guidelines were completely arbitrary but I found the place was easier to clean and keep neat. We also received a lot of compliments on the "new look". We then had a lot less stuff to move and we've kept the same streamlined look in the new house. (Now when I go to others' homes they look really cluttered.)

Old 11-21-2009, 12:16 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH3 View Post
We went in this direction after staging our last home when we put it for sale. I followed a lot of the recommendations for getting stuff off the wall, dumping fake flowers, ditching a lot of knick-knacks, removing a third of the furniture from every room. My husband thought a lot of these guidelines were completely arbitrary but I found the place was easier to clean and keep neat. We also received a lot of compliments on the "new look". We then had a lot less stuff to move and we've kept the same streamlined look in the new house. (Now when I go to others' homes they look really cluttered.)
I've seen staged homes and really have considered having a stager come into mine even though I'm not selling! I just love the idea of being able to vaccum or dust the tops of furniture without first moving things around.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
I'm also a bit of a minimalist. Maybe it comes from seeing my grandma hoard things, and my parents not having the time or energy to declutter so stuff accumulate there too. He keeps having to go and buy small things like Teflon tape and small screwdriver sets again and again because he can't find any of the however many he's already got.

I don't want to live like that. Everything has a home and if I'm not using something and no friends want it, off it goes to Goodwill.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,063 times
I'm making the effort to learn to live with less "stuff". It is certainly liberating. Craig's list has helped too. Amazing that most anything you have someone out there can use. This summer we got rid of our old lawn mower just by putting it out by the curb - with a note saying "Take me".. It was gone in less than a day. I sold my Boston Rocker to a couple that wanted it for their daughter that was going to be a new mom. It had been in my attic for 2 years. I even sold a pair of xctry skiis and boots from over 15 years ago for $50. Amazing what you can live without.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 AM

245 posts, read 955,715 times
Wow! I love this subject! I am currently getting ready to relocate to PA from NC right after Thanksgiving & have been selling furniture on craigslist. Some have sold, some haven't. But, there's so much "stuff" that I haven't used & are actually still sealed in boxes in my closet from my last move! I am an organizer & a big contributor to the Salvation Army! Thankfully my husband has already relocated to his job in PA & I'm able to get rid of things he'd instead hoard. He's a pack rat. The problem is, I'm bringing my 91 yr old Mom with me & trying to get rid of 90% of her junk. She's unorganized, a pack rat/hoarder & a dollar tree knick knack queen. She actually has a big box packed, sealed & labed "odd pieces". She has no clue what she packed in there. I suspect it's knick knacks. So I need to go through her sealed boxes & donate things before we move! I find I have trouble getting rid of my books (I LOVE to read & treasure my books) and my kitchen gadgets. I enjoy cooking & family holiday dinner parties. Any ideas on whether to cart the 10 boxes of books I've packed or donate? What about all the kitchen stuff, Xmas dishes, glasses, etc? What about the 6 boxes of Xmas decor (from when I used to own a huge house). Those are my vices. But, I too hate clutter & messes & my soul feels better when things aren't cluttered & crowded w/ unnecessary "stuff". Any helpful hints appreciated!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Any ideas on whether to cart the 10 boxes of books I've packed or donate? What about all the kitchen stuff, Xmas dishes, glasses, etc? What about the 6 boxes of Xmas decor (from when I used to own a huge house).

Are you the type to re-read books? Re the kitchen stuff, glasses, etc..do you dont use them regularly? And re the Christmas decor...do you use all the items in every box every year? I suspect the answer to all these questions is NO. So donate everything, let someone else benefit from their use, clear out your house and take a tax deduction.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM

412 posts, read 938,905 times
I donate books to the local library. They sell them and use the proceeds to fund the library.

I try my best to only buy books when I know I'll read and reread them (although, I did make some impulse purchases in the past that have become favorites).

I would donate the Xmas decor that you don't use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating