Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 01:57 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My basement is finished but in serious need of remodeling. The former owners simply put wood paneling over the foundation walls. I'm debating whether to put up new drywall or to use the Owens-Corning panels for basements.

Has anyone used those panels? They look nice in the photos but I have my doubts. That said, it would be a lot easier than putting up all that drywall.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this stuff -or at least seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 12:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I've never installed one, nor have I seen one installed in a house. But I've seen the system (at the builder's show) and I'm aware of it's qualities. First and foremost, the acoustics are awesome. It's downhill from there. The price is astronomically high (vs. conventional D/W finish), especially when considering resale value- the finish doesn't match the rest of the house. I also doubt the code compliance when it comes to electrical.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I've seen an Owens Corning basement and one by another competitor. In my honest opinion I would stick with drywall. It finishes a lot nicer. Unless you have a damp basement that you can't dehumidify and drain for some reason, I would not choose those systems.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:06 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
I don't have one, but we had friends get a quote for the owens corning one and I think it was $25K just to do a rec room in the basement, not the entire basement either, just carving out a portion of it. We have other friends who had almost their entire basement done in drywall, a playroom, seperate guest room and closets and they paid about $15K for the whole thing. If you can, stick with the drywall.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
didn't use it,but did get a quote-twice as much as drywall.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
We have the owens-corning system and love it. I think it is close to 5 years now. our basement was totally unfinished prior to the installation. the panels really make the room feel warm(they have approx 3 to 4 inches of insulation on the back. we were reluctant to have drywall installed as we have a sump pump that runs a lot and feared..what if the power goes off and there is a flood! they install all of the electrical to code..the inspector comes and checks. they include the drop ceiling, electrical, lighting(dimmers). It was expensive, but we are totally happy with it. we had armstrong sheet vinyl flooring put over the concrete. it looks like hardwood flooring. we have an area rug in the tv viewing/seating area. they provide you with special hooks to use to hang photos/pix etc on the panels. we have our decorated with a variety of sports pix..since I have two boys. We didn't choose it for the re-sale value, but I know that a finished basement, will be much more beneficial when we choose to sell. we have been in our home over 20 years!

Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,940 times
Went with Owens Corning basement system about 10 years ago. Has withstood 2 floods and still looks great. I was quote about $8K more than drywall. Very happy I went with the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating