Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM

79 posts, read 307,753 times

Advertisements

I love my shiny gloss refinished hardwood floors but a bit anxious about using any products on them except water and vinegar solution. Sure no streaks but not much more of a shine then before cleaned.

The floor guy said not to use anything other than water or water and vinegar because other products will leave a residue which will affect future refinishing negatively.

Sure they look clean and still retain a shine after water/vinegar but I love an absolute shine- so what can I use to enhance my gloss floors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrena View Post
Sure they look clean and still retain a shine after water/vinegar but I love an absolute shine- This is why they're dulling.
National Wood Flooring Association - Regular Maintenance (http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/maintReg.aspx - broken link) (refer to #3).

so what can I use to enhance my gloss floors?
I never endorse this stuff but, since you said "enhance"- Bruce makes somekind of "stuff" that you can put on the floors to make them shine. Sorry I don't know the name (from lack of endorsement), but I'm sure someone here will.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
You probably have some kind of polyurethane finish on your floor (maybe one of the newer water based poly finishes). How shiny your floor is depends on the luster of the finish on your floor. Your flooring man should have explained to you that the finish was more matte and discussed with you what kind of finish you wanted (matte to shiny). You really can't make your floors more shiny at this point - in fact using anything to clean them beyond what you were instructed to use may in fact dull them.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I never endorse this stuff but, since you said "enhance"- Bruce makes somekind of "stuff" that you can put on the floors to make them shine. Sorry I don't know the name (from lack of endorsement), but I'm sure someone here will.
It's called Bruce Hardwood Floor Cleaner. You just spray it on the floor, and use a damp Sh-Mop mop, or something similar.

Bruce - Maintenace DuraLuster

www.sh-mop.com

It works very well and it smells nice! Good luck!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:14 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,317,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
It's called Bruce Hardwood Floor Cleaner. You just spray it on the floor, and use a damp Sh-Mop mop, or something similar.

Bruce - Maintenace DuraLuster

www.sh-mop.com

It works very well and it smells nice! Good luck!
I totally agree with the Bruce cleaner. It does a great job and doesn't leave a film. I use it with a microfiber mop.
If you have polyurethaned floors you have to remember that you are not cleaning wood just a some what plastic coating. Many times I just use a damp microfiber cloth and/or mop with no cleaner.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Friends of mine who sell hardwood flooring have told me never to use water on wood floors. Murphy's Oil Soap and also vinegar are not good to use. They recommend only using floor cleaner made specifically for wood floors, and only spraying and wiping.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM

79 posts, read 307,753 times
Thanks everyone!

Our HDepot carries Bruce products, I will give a try and see how it works in a small area.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:28 PM

890 posts, read 2,784,885 times
If it is really hardwood floor, and not the plastic pergo kind / laminates; then it is most likely finished with a shiny polyurethane finish. Think of this finish as a small coat of plastic to protect the wood.

Over time the polyurethane finish degrade, instead of the wood itself. The hardwood can then be sanded and refinished--but that's a huge job requiring you to clear the entire floor area. I would probably do this floor refinish every 10 years.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 43,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrena View Post
I love my shiny gloss refinished hardwood floors but a bit anxious about using any products on them except water and vinegar solution. Sure no streaks but not much more of a shine then before cleaned.

The floor guy said not to use anything other than water or water and vinegar because other products will leave a residue which will affect future refinishing negatively.

Sure they look clean and still retain a shine after water/vinegar but I love an absolute shine- so what can I use to enhance my gloss floors?
Ask your floor guy what sheen of finish he used, Adding an additional coat of the same sheen finish will enhance the shine a slight bit, or you could have him apply a coat of high gloss finish for ultimate reflection.

If you are going to damp mop your floors with vinegar and water i would not do it too frequently, maybe once a month as the moisture will start to get under the finish and between the floor boards and cup the floor.

In between damp mop cleaning i would suggest using a hardwood floor cleaner.

Hope this helps
You can find more info at [URL="http://www.thibodeaufloors.com"]Index | Thibodeau Floors - Custom Hardwood Flooring[/URL]

Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I use windex and paper towels on my floors, it works fine never any problems, but it is a hands on your knees job......seriously not the look........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating