Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey86 View Post
oh, im just going to be renting....so not looking to spend a lot of money....
also, theyre currently painted white.
Live with them.
Save your money until you can afford your own place.
Remember, we all had to crawl before we could walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:20 PM

192 posts, read 617,891 times
Quote:
Live with them.
Save your money until you can afford your own place.
Remember, we all had to crawl before we could walk.
if me having a little color in my life makes me happy, then im going to do it. being set back a couple hundred dollars painting this house is not going to get me much closer to buying a house, anyway.....
ive painted every apartment ive ever lived in, and no i dont regret it. having color puts me in a good mood. white is bland and boring and cold.

Quote:
Why are you moving. You had done such a great job on the apt.?
im moving because me renting a house with a couple roommates will save me at least $300/mth in rent, which is great, plus that'll actually include cable...which i dont have, now. haha. and i really wanted a fenced in backyard for my dogs.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
1. Try painting the cinder blocks in a warm color, something light and earthy like a sand, camel, or putty color. Or something with a little more yellow, like a wheat color.

2. How about draping at least one wall? Just use curtains with a long rod. Buy something you would use again in another place you move to next and use good quality, like a linen or cotton-blend.

3. Get some fabulous lights. Light will be really important. Use a variety of lights including lamps, uplights or can lights, reading lamps, etc.

4. Get some great artwork. Posters, paintings, whatever you really love with great color. If its a print or poster, frame it really nice with glass and good quality frames. If you need large frames with glass, check out the local thrift shops. Toss the ugly pictures and keep the frames and glass and clean 'em up. You can even go glam if you find an ornate frame. Also, painting an ornate frame will make it look modern.

5. Mirrors. At least one big one. Will make the space look bigger and bounce the light around in your room.

Since the room has cinder blocks and is dark, think of reflective, light surfaces -- metals, glossy white, silver things, glass and items and fabrics you can see-thru.

I absolutely agree in decorating a space even if it's temporary. I would be very sad and depressed without fresh paint, beautiful objects, and color. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
1. Try painting the cinder blocks in a warm color, something light and earthy like a sand, camel, or putty color. Or something with a little more yellow, like a wheat color.

2. How about draping at least one wall? Just use curtains with a long rod. Buy something you would use again in another place you move to next and use good quality, like a linen or cotton-blend.

3. Get some fabulous lights. Light will be really important. Use a variety of lights including lamps, uplights or can lights, reading lamps, etc.

4. Get some great artwork. Posters, paintings, whatever you really love with great color. If its a print or poster, frame it really nice with glass and good quality frames. If you need large frames with glass, check out the local thrift shops. Toss the ugly pictures and keep the frames and glass and clean 'em up. You can even go glam if you find an ornate frame. Also, painting an ornate frame will make it look modern.

5. Mirrors. At least one big one. Will make the space look bigger and bounce the light around in your room.

Since the room has cinder blocks and is dark, think of reflective, light surfaces -- metals, glossy white, silver things, glass and items and fabrics you can see-thru.

I absolutely agree in decorating a space even if it's temporary. I would be very sad and depressed without fresh paint, beautiful objects, and color. Good luck!
Excellent suggestions!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post

thanks so much for your suggestions! ill be posting before-during-after photos within the next couple of weeks. i dont move in until next weekend. super excited, though!!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
I want to see you try numbers two and five.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I want to see you try numbers two and five.
will do

Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
It didn't where I was living at time--Helena, Arkansas, right on the Mississippi. I don't think it would. Besides, if it did, that would mean everything else would too.
Region really has nothing to do with it. Each individual house has it's challenges and every basement is different. We have no idea what the basement is like where the OP is moving so she deserves to be forewarned that it's possible.

If I leave textiles in my basement too long, they get moldy. I can't store off-season clothing in my basement. I can't leave laundry backed up in the basement for a few weeks. The basement itself isn't moldy. Fabrics just happen to get moldy if left down there too long.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:20 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Region really has nothing to do with it. Each individual house has it's challenges and every basement is different.
Yeah, this is pretty interesting. I live in a historic home and looked at several houses with basements when I was house-hunting, each one in the same part of town. Most of them had a moldy smell but the one I ended up buying didn't. I wasn't exactly sure why but it's very dry down there. I think it may have something to do with the heating system (a natural gas-powered boiler system), which means the basement cannot be super-airtight. There's also a sump pump so maybe that made a difference too.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey86 View Post
im moving because me renting a house with a couple roommates will save me at least $300/mth in rent, which is great, plus that'll actually include cable...which i dont have, now. haha. and i really wanted a fenced in backyard for my dogs.
I hope it makes you happy. I really liked the way you did the apt. with the oriental stuff. Hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating