Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

Slate comes in all forms. It can be casual or dressy---shiny or dull----matched or blended.

Look at the different alternatives in home pictures:

slate floor - Google Search

If you still think slate is too casual, try quartz or limestone.

Limestone is pretty---in the light natural earth tones tiles that don't have the stark variations of slate.

limestone floor - Google Search

Quartz is very versatile---comes in all sorts of looks---shiny and dull:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&aqi=&start=0

http://internet-tiles.co.uk/images/mineral%20quartz%20floor%20main.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 PM

I think my main concern is the sheen. I think a shiny floor limited to a formal interior. But a floor with a flat sheen is more versitile and can be dressed up or down.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think my main concern is the sheen. I think a shiny floor limited to a formal interior. But a floor with a flat sheen is more versitile and can be dressed up or down.

Good point. Thank you for the pictures. There are way too many choices.

I like the shine but I understand what you are saying. Maybe we can find a compromise between too shiny and too dull.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good point. Thank you for the pictures. There are way too many choices.
I agree. It's mind boggling. If you narrow it down to just natural stone, that's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I like the shine but I understand what you are saying. Maybe we can find a compromise between too shiny and too dull.
Every stone comes in different colors, textures and sheens. If you look at samples in person, it will be easier to find the compromise.

If you are left with the choice of shiny or dull, go with a dull sheen in all matching tiles (all the same color). That way it can be dressed up or down.

I'm just afraid a prospective homebuyer might disregard your property if the flooring is too shiney.

Not only is it limiting for decorating, it's a pain to keep shiny surfaces clean.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:37 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
I/we think the standing on porcelain tile making your feet sore is over rated. Never had a complaint from the Super Chief since we put it in 5 years ago. In front of the stove and sink she has throw rugs, but she had that before because she can get messy, not because her feet hurt.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 30,312 times
Default High end look flooring

If hard surfaces stone floors are your choice you are not limited to ( Our choices are ceramic, porcelain, granite, or marble) a floor like everyone else in the neighborhood has.

You can even include concrete floor heating, for that over the top High end look and feel flooring.

Micro toppings are scored, saw cut, slate textured, intrically colored, topically colored with acid stains & dyes.

Ardex Designer floors are self leveling toppings, scored, saw cut, , intrically colored, topically colored with acid stains & dyes.

Stamped concrete overlays are stamped & textured, scored, saw cut, , intrically colored, topically colored with acid stains & dyes, antiqued with release agents

You can find information on each of these durable cementitious flooring systems at the link below

Visit the link below for more choices

Concrete overlay for existing concrete surfaces without expensive removal

Resurfacer

Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Thank you everyone for all of your help. We found a beautiful, at least we think so, porcelain tile this week. It was delivered today. Now we just have to install all of it.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
Personally I like the slate, but I agree it's more of a mountain setting flooring.

I had a friend when I lived in Naples that built a home and put in the saltillo tile and had it heavily glossed and I liked that look. I've also seen brick flooring, just like you'd see on a patio with the basketweave pattern. It was also finished very glossy. I love that and plan on doing my basement floors in our farmhouse that way when we build. But again, probably more of a mountain home look.

My parent's home on Marco had the travertine flooring when it was built. The previous owner didn't like it and had carpet put over it. It stayed that way for years until it was time to replace the carpet. My parents were shocked to find it under there.

They decided to keep it since it was a nice light color. My mother is very into white. After all those years of being covered by carpet it was still in good shape. It looked nice, but the house stayed so cold without carpet. And it was a bear to stand on for hours. She ultimately decided to put the carpet back in the bedrooms and go with tile flooring in the main living areas and hardwood in the den.

Have you looked into hardwood? We've got original hardwood in most of our home and I love them. When they're newly finished they're gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating