Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
you could always do the armoire thing, but I think over the long run, you should find a contractor with experience in historical-type building. I think that would be your best bet over time. closets are a selling point and lack of, usually is reflected in the price of the home.
Am I wrong, or doesn't a room need to have a closet to be considered a bedroom? So, I hope you aren't paying for a bedroom that isn't really one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Am I wrong, or doesn't a room need to have a closet to be considered a bedroom? So, I hope you aren't paying for a bedroom that isn't really one.
By what standards? The bed is what makes a room a bedroom...

Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 AM

Habitable rooms. At least sixty (60) square feet of floor area of every habitable room shall have a ceiling height of at least seven and one-half (7 1/2) feet and the floor area of that part of any room where the ceiling height is less than five (5) feet shall not be considered as part of the floor area in computing the total floor area of the room for the purpose of determining the maximum permissible occupancy thereof. Habitable rooms in dwellings legally erected or converted prior to 1951 shall have a ceiling height of at least six and one-half (6 1/2) feet. Bedrooms are required to have a window egress of 5.7 SF or larger, with the sill not more than 44" above the floor.
It used to require a closet but FHA changed those guidelines a little over a year ago. You still need a door and a window. And a bedroom can be counted in the basement if it has a window that is above grade..such as an English Basement.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM

So.... do we get the floor plan/pictures to see???

Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It used to require a closet but FHA changed those guidelines a little over a year ago. You still need a door and a window.
I believe that bedrooms are supposed to have a separate entry (door) and a window. however, the closets are a different thing. in historic homes, a room is considered a BR even w/o a closet (as they didn't exist until the 1800s). And I've also seen "pass-through" rooms (rooms without a separate entry from the hall; sometimes called "dressing rooms") also considered as a separate BR.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It used to require a closet but FHA changed those guidelines a little over a year ago. You still need a door and a window. And a bedroom can be counted in the basement if it has a window that is above grade..such as an English Basement.
Thanks for clearing that up, elnina.
I still say, OP will build instant equity if he puts in a real closet.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 AM

366 posts, read 943,943 times
OP, what solution did you come up with? I'm in a similar situation: 1885 renovated house, 2 BR + 1 Captive BR (converted attic) and zero usable closet space, other than a couple in the attic space that you have to duck down to reach.

I thought about making the captive BR a complete walk-in closet, however you have to go up 7 or 8 steps to reach it. I'm thinking about using the captive attic BR as my BR and using the room in between as an office space / dressing room.

I'm on the fence of either purchasing a corner IKEA PAX system or building a couple of walls and then installing a ClosetMaid system. The room I'm thinking about adding the closet space is relatively small (about 15 x 12).

Hope you found a good solution!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
OP, what solution did you come up with? I'm in a similar situation: 1885 renovated house, 2 BR + 1 Captive BR (converted attic) and zero usable closet space, other than a couple in the attic space that you have to duck down to reach.

I thought about making the captive BR a complete walk-in closet, however you have to go up 7 or 8 steps to reach it. I'm thinking about using the captive attic BR as my BR and using the room in between as an office space / dressing room.

I'm on the fence of either purchasing a corner IKEA PAX system or building a couple of walls and then installing a ClosetMaid system. The room I'm thinking about adding the closet space is relatively small (about 15 x 12).

Hope you found a good solution!
I'd suggest making a new thread than bumping an old one.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have been looking for a house for a while now and an offer was just accepted. The place is great, however there are no closets in the master bedroom. The house is newly remodeled, but older (build in 1901), and there simply is no closet space in the master bedroom. I know I can build a traditional closet, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for something a little more unique. I still have over a month until closing, so I have time to plan it all out. I am looking for a more modern look for decorating, so any help anyone can give me is appreciated!
Definitely look at Ikea - they have those sleek, modern looking portable closets/modules.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Alot ofr older homes and european influenced had no bedroom cloasets. They used free standing cloests. The huge bedroom closet is a american thing mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating