Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 AM

141 posts, read 589,399 times

Advertisements

I ended up buying a house previously owned by an elderly woman where every room was painted white except for the kitchen which had stenciling, and it took 2 coats of Kilz to cover it up.

Hi,
curious, the house you bought, was it a 5 bedroom, 5,000+ sq ft, 4 bath, sitting on almost an acre with trees????
Our home will not appeal to a single person or anyone who wants crown molding, and expensive floors, counters. I built and designed this home for a family. My rooms are HUGE, and more than enough closet space. A m-i-L suite off the back that we are using for a den, that I added, as a relative's health went bad and was for that person, but ended up not needing it . A huge finished basement my kids have set up for all electronics you could ever imagine, plus a possible 6th bedroom. We have a pool, play area, & fenced off yard. And the largest sand box, that I can see from my kitchen/family room which is enclosed for my kids safety. I also have two huge decks off the back plus a 3-season room. This house will not ever attract a professional couple. It will attract a family with 3 or more kids. That is the reason I wanted to paint the kid's bedrooms soft colors that would attract either girl or boy, so that one could pick a room and move right in. The rooms are large, and I mean large to hold bedroom furniture and toys. I wanted to stay in softs blue, green,gray, that I see others use in their dining room, living, family rooms, and I thought I could possibly put those in the bedrooms, that way the kids could move right in. Kids like blues, greens, greys for either sex (pink/purple I would not do). Most of the houses around here have kids' bedrooms painted dark colors that have sold ASAP. I do not want to leave our rooms dark.

I guess I am still painting the whole house beige...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:29 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWorld Bound View Post
Hi,
curious, the house you bought, was it a 5 bedroom, 5,000+ sq ft, 4 bath, sitting on almost an acre with trees????
Our home will not appeal to a single person or anyone who wants crown molding, and expensive floors, counters. I built and designed this home for a family. My rooms are HUGE, and more than enough closet space. A m-i-L suite off the back that we are using for a den, that I added, as a relative's health went bad and was for that person, but ended up not needing it . A huge finished basement my kids have set up for all electronics you could ever imagine, plus a possible 6th bedroom. We have a pool, play area, & fenced off yard. And the largest sand box, that I can see from my kitchen/family room which is enclosed for my kids safety. I also have two huge decks off the back plus a 3-season room. This house will not ever attract a professional couple. It will attract a family with 3 or more kids. That is the reason I wanted to paint the kid's bedrooms soft colors that would attract either girl or boy, so that one could pick a room and move right in. The rooms are large, and I mean large to hold bedroom furniture and toys. I wanted to stay in softs blue, green,gray, that I see others use in their dining room, living, family rooms, and I thought I could possibly put those in the bedrooms, that way the kids could move right in. Kids like blues, greens, greys for either sex (pink/purple I would not do). Most of the houses around here have kids' bedrooms painted dark colors that have sold ASAP. I do not want to leave our rooms dark.

With all the care that you have put into this house to make it what it is now,
(and it sounds fantastic, by the way) wouldn't it make sense to not try to anticipate who the buyers might be, but instead to just concentrate on emphasizing the square footage?
Potential buyers will most likely want to personalize it with paint etc anyway, as long as you're offering a "clean slate" you are better off.

Don't forget you are trying to sell the house to someone else, not yourself!

and as for the bolded part, I bet they would've sold for more if the paint colors weren't so dark...(i.e. would've appealed to more buyers, potentially creating more offers and a more competitive higher prices)

Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I ended up buying a house previously owned by an elderly woman where every room was painted white except for the kitchen which had stenciling, and it took 2 coats of Kilz to cover it up.

Hi,

Nope, but the previous owner raised 3 kids here anyway. How they must have suffered.

If you market your house to as broad a market as possible, you'll have more success selling it. Fact. I personally wouldn't live in a 5k sq ft house because I don't want to clean that much space and I sure don't want to pay to heat and cool it. Could I have afforded it? Sure. Personal preference. However, some singletons like to spread out. I know single buyers who have bought houses that size. Even if a family does buy your house, which I did say was the most likely scenario, they might hate your paint colors. If you're about to sell, go neutral.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 AM

"and as for the bolded part, I bet they would've sold for more if the paint colors weren't so dark...(i.e. would've appealed to more buyers, potentially creating more offers and a more competitive higher prices)"

agree. All homes here have sold ASAP except for one, they took it off the market and its empty now. The kid's bedrooms all had one wall painted a bright color, all other walls neutral. Whole house beiges. Dark kitchen. The house is almost comparable to ours, but they have no living room, and they have a 2-story family room, and a few other differences.

I have a few paint samples I like. Dining room - a cream that has a touch of a buttery yellow. The other rooms still have paint samples up. But leaning towards some beiges. I may go and buy a new rug to help add color...Then roll it up before showing the house.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Are their any blues/greens/grays condsidered neutrals?
Grey is definitely a neutral color. Green can be a neutral color depending on the shade. I think a light sage green could be a safe choice.

The main question you need to ask yourself is are you willing to repaint again if there is negative feedback? I personally wouldn't want to paint a room and then have to repaint it again in a few months. If you are already planning to paint a room (because it currently has wallpaper), you would be wise to simply paint it a traditional neutral like beige. Since you're only going to be there for a short time, the kids can live with it.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 AM

"Nope, but the previous owner raised 3 kids here anyway. How they must have suffered.

If you market your house to as broad a market as possible, you'll have more success selling it. Fact. I personally wouldn't live in a 5k sq ft house because I don't want to clean that much space and I sure don't want to pay to heat and cool it. Could I have afforded it? Sure. Personal preference. However, some singletons like to spread out. I know single buyers who have bought houses that size. Even if a family does buy your house, which I did say was the most likely scenario, they might hate your paint colors. If you're about to sell, go neutral"

point taken. we did move out of a home that was 3 bedrooms (too small) right after I had child #2. I do hope my home goes to a large family, as it was for kids.

We know singles that do own large homes, but almost all of them have homes with crown moldings, 9' ceilings, 2-story rooms, and more expensive materials throughout, more for entertaining in high style. I do agree that we stage the home for as many possible buyers, but all beige...

I would hope you would not want to live in this sized home either , no offense. I want a family in this home.

There are very few homes here who do not have a cleaning service.

I refused to put in 2-story open space as I knew it would be a bear to heat/cool. Those are typical here. By my designing this home/yard, I was able to place windows and trees to full advantage. Our heating bill is 1/2 of our neighbors (their home is close to our sq ft). Electric is low also due to trees, window placement, & ceiling fans. Off topic, but placement of furnace and duct work in a home can add/lower cost. I know this, as I had assistance by a heat-a/c family member when I drew up my house plans.

And yes, as much as I hate it, I do have beige paint samples up. I think its bland to have almost the same color on floors, cabinets and walls, but.

I think most older homes have various wall coverings up, and horrible bath tile. When we moved into our first home, owned by an older lady, she had felt wallpaper up which she painted over. It was my first wallpaper removal. I overhauled that entire house/yard and added on, and sadly we still outgrew it with just 2 kids.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM

"The main question you need to ask yourself is are you willing to repaint again if there is negative feedback?"

We will be allowing for some re-do's after the realtor has their say.

Yes, I would be. Painting so simple and easy, that it would not bother me.
But, with that being said, I do agree painting once is still better. And I will do that, some rooms I won't give on.

One example is our Den addition (mil suite possibility). It does not have the white trim, and I ended up putting paint in there that everyone thought I was nuts.

I just found a picture of the color, here:

Show me your paint colors w/stained woodwork - Home Decorating Forum - GardenWeb

and I have rugs down that match that color and have blue in them, that picks up my blue furniture in the family room, and the blue in the kitchen.

Its not changing. My husband has all his golf "junk" in there!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times
I think you can do colors if they all go together and it's not like each room, and the adjoining halway/walls, are all completely random colors. I agree with lighter colors or "neutral tones" of green and grey (not sure about the blue, but a lot of people like blue so maybe you can just leave it), so that the rooms don't look like "kid rooms" but could be used for whatever the buyer needs them for (or the buyer sees that they can be painted over easily)

Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
"Nope, but the previous owner raised 3 kids here anyway. How they must have suffered.

If you market your house to as broad a market as possible, you'll have more success selling it. Fact. I personally wouldn't live in a 5k sq ft house because I don't want to clean that much space and I sure don't want to pay to heat and cool it. Could I have afforded it? Sure. Personal preference. However, some singletons like to spread out. I know single buyers who have bought houses that size. Even if a family does buy your house, which I did say was the most likely scenario, they might hate your paint colors. If you're about to sell, go neutral"

point taken. we did move out of a home that was 3 bedrooms (too small) right after I had child #2. I do hope my home goes to a large family, as it was for kids.

We know singles that do own large homes, but almost all of them have homes with crown moldings, 9' ceilings, 2-story rooms, and more expensive materials throughout, more for entertaining in high style. I do agree that we stage the home for as many possible buyers, but all beige...

I would hope you would not want to live in this sized home either , no offense. I want a family in this home.

There are very few homes here who do not have a cleaning service.

I refused to put in 2-story open space as I knew it would be a bear to heat/cool. Those are typical here. By my designing this home/yard, I was able to place windows and trees to full advantage. Our heating bill is 1/2 of our neighbors (their home is close to our sq ft). Electric is low also due to trees, window placement, & ceiling fans. Off topic, but placement of furnace and duct work in a home can add/lower cost. I know this, as I had assistance by a heat-a/c family member when I drew up my house plans.

And yes, as much as I hate it, I do have beige paint samples up. I think its bland to have almost the same color on floors, cabinets and walls, but.

I think most older homes have various wall coverings up, and horrible bath tile. When we moved into our first home, owned by an older lady, she had felt wallpaper up which she painted over. It was my first wallpaper removal. I overhauled that entire house/yard and added on, and sadly we still outgrew it with just 2 kids.
You'll be grateful just to sell it, I doubt you'll care who buys it...especially if your market is slow and it sits on the market for six months. You'll sell to an investor who will paint every room puke green and rent it out as a halfway house if you're desperate enough, trust me. Been there.

This house has crown moldings, brick fireplace, solid wood cabinetry, tons of closet space, and the kind of oak heart flooring that would cost $3k plus per room to have put in. It's not a dump just because it's old or small.

As for a cleaning service...if I have to pay someone to clean my house because I don't have time to do it myself, that's a clue that it's too big. Or that I'm sloppy. I have no trouble working retarded hours and keeping my house clean.

FWIW, the houses that sell the fastest in this neighborhood are the ones with neutral paint colors. Garish colors, even period-appropriate ones, whether they are in paint or wallpaper or in a child's bedroom, make houses in this neighborhood sit on the market longer. But paint your house any color you want. Good luck selling it.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 PM

thanks.
I have narrowed down the bedrooms to colors, depending on what I decide for main floor. The beiges are not that bad. Had some samples up, and its not horrible, but I am adding color accents, and when I do that I am much happier. I still have to live in this house, which is so much me, its hard to give up. interior I have done. builder hated it, but I would not let him touch it.

I will never understand how adults with college or more degrees can NOT see past color and furniture. I would not live in a home done by another male or female.

thanks everyone. neutrals with a splash of colors that are popular it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating