Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Your example of the little $8/hr JC Penny's clerk picking out Chinese curtains is the same as in my biz when I see these minimum wage clerks working at Home Depot laying out kitchens. Notice I did not say design kitchens.

but not all homes would be worth the top of the line stuff, sometimes Penney's works just fine. I don't agree that chain store housewares are "crap"; while I wouldn't put them in a mansion, I wouldn't put hand-designed stuff in a 3 bdrm ranch either. You'd have to admit that'd be silly (Unless you're calling my 3 bedroom ranch "crap" too) Perhaps the poster with the distinction between "decorator" and "designer" has the best point.

I can see the OP's point of view. Perhaps they just didn't know much about "interior design" and were surprised at the cost. I admit I don't know much about the trade, and being middle class I have never wanted to either. Seems over the top to me, I just need the simple things in life (when you consider so many don't even have those, it gives some perspective. Some people would LOVE to have "crap" from JC Penneys, or heck, even a house to put it in )

Perhaps the OP here likes these forums for the same reason I do-- usually the answers are from similarly minded DIYers who suggest low-cost options in stead of all out professional remodeling. Not that those things aren't ok and there isnt a market for top of the line design, etc., there is. But there's also a sector of the population who doesn't prefer to do things that way, and this forum usually seems like a safe place to discuss that side of things. There are certain posters that do almost always seem to come across kinda bitter, but I try to give the benefit of the doubt that their tone is unintentional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:29 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Maybe the OP just don't know what an Interior Designer does. Sometimes we all don't understand why some trades charge what they do. Sometimes we wonder how some of the stupidest people on earth get paid high salaries like cops and politicians. I want to know why my Dentist charges $1500 for 15 minutes of chair time. I also want to know why eye glasses cost hundreds of dollars for like 5 cents worth of material. Do Realtors deserve those massive commissions for what little they do? Do CEOs deserve billion dollar salaries for sitting with their feet up on the desk while reading the Wall St Journal? Why do Teachers make so much money for part time jobs?

I guess I could go on but my point is made.
Thanks for changing your tone a bit, Desertsun. I agree. Except the teachers and cops I know don't make all that much

Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
My outlook on all this is what I do is NOT for everyone, but dont take potshots at my profession, either, because I am not putting down what anyone else does.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
but not all homes would be worth the top of the line stuff, sometimes Penney's works just fine. I don't agree that chain store housewares are "crap"; while I wouldn't put them in a mansion, I wouldn't put hand-designed stuff in a 3 bdrm ranch either. You'd have to admit that'd be silly (Unless you're calling my 3 bedroom ranch "crap" too) Perhaps the poster with the distinction between "decorator" and "designer" has the best point.

I can see the OP's point of view. Perhaps they just didn't know much about "interior design" and were surprised at the cost. I admit I don't know much about the trade, and being middle class I have never wanted to either. Seems over the top to me, I just need the simple things in life (when you consider so many don't even have those, it gives some perspective. Some people would LOVE to have "crap" from JC Penneys, or heck, even a house to put it in )

Perhaps the OP here likes these forums for the same reason I do-- usually the answers are from similarly minded DIYers who suggest low-cost options in stead of all out professional remodeling. Not that those things aren't ok and there isnt a market for top of the line design, etc., there is. But there's also a sector of the population who doesn't prefer to do things that way, and this forum usually seems like a safe place to discuss that side of things. There are certain posters that do almost always seem to come across kinda bitter, but I try to give the benefit of the doubt that their tone is unintentional.
Don't get me wrong. I am on your side with your above post all the way. Your eyes see what mine do, I just have a bigger mouth which bothers some people. Of course many people would love to have what JC Pennys sells and hopefully you did not take me the wrong way there. I am always out for the working man. I volunteer a great deal of my precious time in life helping others. One should always be grateful for whatever we have no matter how little. And in the current depression there are many who don't know where their next meal is coming from.

I was calling the big box home improvement stores crap, I should have not reused the store JCP that Kshe used as her example. I like JCP. I also never said ranches are crap. If you knew the unusual type living situation I am in by our own choice you would sheet a brick. A hint is in your screen name.

Whatever the case, caulk it up to education. We all learned something here today.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
No more cracks about JC Penney please. One mans bologna is another mans steak.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM

194 posts, read 490,844 times
Quote:

Campmom you truly understood my initial post, and thank you for clarifying as I was not trying to put down a profession, I honestly just needed some input on paint colors and window treatments and after an hr and half of walking through my home and not coming up with a definate swatch for either paint or window treatments...then handing me a bill for just over $200.00, well I was mad at myself for spending that type of money, for just a consultation on...I guess material possessions (my bad) Even though we are comfortable, I still felt I could have used that money towards something other than what I did. Or even if the window treatments were included and the price was say $600.00, at least I have something to show for it, but just to have an opinion and maybe I don't even agree with it...well that is tough. But I guess it is a gamble when you sign up for that?

I just needed to vent...I didn't realize this forum was mostly filled with the profession I was venting about.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
. Except the teachers and cops I know don't make all that much
Depends on where you live. Teachers and police officers are very well paid in my area.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 PM

109 posts, read 658,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Depends on where you live. Teachers and police officers are very well paid in my area.
Same here, personally I think the police here are over paid. Here the average wage is 70k.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
hen handing me a bill for just over $200.00, well I was mad at myself for spending that type of money, for just a consultation on...I guess material possessions (my bad) Even though we are comfortable, I still felt I could have used that money towards something other than what I did. Or even if the window treatments were included and the price was say $600.00, at least I have something to show for it, but just to have an opinion and maybe I don't even agree with it...well that is tough. But I guess it is a gamble when you sign up for that?
The overwhelming majority of residential interior designers do not charge hourly fees for initial consultations. For some reason you chose one that charged for the consultation, but you were certainly free to shop around and hire one that offered the pricing structure you wanted.

But, an interior designer's is no different than any other professional service. If you get an initial consultation from a lawyer, you aren't going to get actual legal advice. Nor will you get tax advice during an initial consultation with an accountant. An initial consultation is merely to find out what kind of services you are in need of, whether or not the professional can offer those services, and how much those services will cost you.

Furthermore, any professional is likely to bill you for an initial consultation if it turns out you have scheduled on under duplicitous merits. If you are such a cynic that you believe any money spent on their services is a waste, and you have no intentions of actually hiring them, then you have wasted their time scheduling a consultation. If you expect to get free design advice during the consultation, you have wasted their time. Any lawyer or accountant would likely send you a bill for those same circumstances, even if their policy is to offer free consultations. Because their policy is to provide free consultations for the purposes of acquiring bona fide clients.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
I charge a predetermined set fee for a consultation, which includes a second visit that includes presentation of swatches, etc.
Most designers do this. I inform potential clients up front about this, which avoids the mess the OP says happened to them.
When in doubt, ask questions!
The OP didnt ask questions about what they were getting for the consultation?
Wow........ I ask that from everyone from the plumber to, well, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating