Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBettyCrocker View Post
Same here, personally I think the police here are over paid. Here the average wage is 70k.
Police can make well into the six figures with seniority and overtime in my area. Our cost of living is extremely low too.

I don't think they are overpaid. Their lives are at risk. Last year, quite a few police officers were killed in our city.

Our quality police forces keep our region safe. There are very few neighborhoods where I wouldn't walk at night in our greater metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 PM

109 posts, read 658,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Police can make well into the six figures with seniority and overtime in my area. Our cost of living is extremely low too.

I don't think they are overpaid. Their lives are at risk. Last year, quite a few police officers were killed in our city.

Our quality police forces keep our region safe. There are very few neighborhoods where I wouldn't walk at night in our greater metro area.

Your very lucky. I live in an area where cops are known as bullies. A week does not go by without something in the local news about police brutality. Unfortunately I didn't know this when I moved to the area. I came from an area where they "serve and protect".

Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
pssst, back on topic please......

Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
I just had to put in my 4 cents (2 cents isn't worth 2 cents anymore)
I've found nice things even in ..gasp...Walmart. You just have to be patient, and look around. See what truly appeals to you.

Most people just can't afford an interior designer or decorator, and beautiful things don't have to be expensive.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
I'd like to add that not all interior designers charge hourly fees. In fact, the industry standard is cost plus. Which essentially means that the designer purchases the goods for the client and then charges them the cost of the item, plus a percentage. In my experience the percentage is higher for more accomplished designers. Usually around 30%.

Also, I don't think a lot of people understand that custom drapery can be extremely intricate and time consuming, and a lot of this is done by hand. That person has to be paid for their time and their expertise.

Lastly, most interior design programs are just as rigorous as architecture, in fact, there is a lot of overlap in the coursework. I know the Op was venting out of frustration, but a lot of designers are highly trained and to think that all they do is pick out paint colors and furniture is insulting.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
I actually enjoy doing the decorating myself, so thankfully won't have to pay one.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,477 times
Interior Designer fees varies from work to work. Its purely requirements based. Many Online portals have been providing this kind of services like hire-a-contractor-now.com, you can check with the bids and contractors and to award with the decent one.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I'd like to add that not all interior designers charge hourly fees. In fact, the industry standard is cost plus. Which essentially means that the designer purchases the goods for the client and then charges them the cost of the item, plus a percentage. In my experience the percentage is higher for more accomplished designers. Usually around 30%.

Also, I don't think a lot of people understand that custom drapery can be extremely intricate and time consuming, and a lot of this is done by hand. That person has to be paid for their time and their expertise.

Lastly, most interior design programs are just as rigorous as architecture, in fact, there is a lot of overlap in the coursework. I know the Op was venting out of frustration, but a lot of designers are highly trained and to think that all they do is pick out paint colors and furniture is insulting.
Cant believe it, but I am mostly going to agree with you!
I usually charge by the job, as by the hour can be astronomical, especially with a client that requires a lot of hand-holding.
A lot of the billable hours are behind the scene, doing research, etc.....a LOT of people dont realize that.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
OP, one of my best friends is an interior designer and he frequently complains about people who request a "Pottery Barn look". Much of this stems to what folks have been saying here --- not understanding what excatly an interior designer does. The $$ you pay for a designer will give you something no one else has --in short, everything is custom. It isn't about just picking out colors and furniture -- in most cases, things are made. For example, drapes are custom made from specific fabrics, to the type of pleating to what kind of rod they're hung on. Textiles can be imported, vintage, or from a designer's collection. Furniture is upholstered in certain fabrics, finished with pipings, tufting, etc. Even pillows are handmade. Above all, quality is the name of the game whether it's fabric, wood, type of accessories (i.e. genuine art). And there are variations in quality, for example fabric that goes beyond a thread count: grades and weaves in silks, cashmere, etc. Furthermore, my friend employs a team of artisans, "Old World' folks I call'em--refinishers, tailors, seamstresses, carpenters, etc. who are experts in their field.

One thing that surprises me is that your interior designer did not give you a price for the consultation. My friend offers a range of services, including consultations, work in staging homes, as a stylist (if you want to work with your existing furniture and some items), and full-out design for a single room, multiple rooms, and sometimes combos of indoor-outdoor spaces.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
^ Another great post!
I have a team of artisans also.......never thought to call them the Old World folks, gonna have to try that tomorrow, although I will probably have something thrown at me!
Everything I do is custom, just as the previous post states. A LOT of time and effort goes into this, which the client cannot see.....I compare how I bill to an attorney, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating