Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 PM

44 posts, read 238,843 times

Advertisements

If it were me I would like a table. A table you can sit more comfortably. It also more personable. We had a small house when we first got married. It was kinda funny because you could sit at the kitchen table and reach and fridge or anything else you needed without getting up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know if it's possible for you but when we renovated we actually had to move our kitchen to the other side of the room, to an interior wall, so the table area was on the outside wall. Then we built a 3' x 10' bay bump-out with windows where the table would be, creating an actual dining "area" that had a distinctly different look and feel from the "L" shaped working kitchen. Seperating the two areas is a small island, and because the table could be pushed over into the bump out there is plenty of walk around room.
I wish I could move the kitchen to a different corner, but there is only one corner available since there are three entrances to the kitchen.

There is an exterior wall available but there is only a few feet to the property line on that side of the house. Great idea. Wish I could do it.

I'm half tempted to switch the rooms. The other room has two coners available. It would make a very nice kitchen because of the architectural detail. There is an exposed brick chimey that could be the backdrop for the cooktop. It has a huge picture window. There is also a dropped ceiling for half of the room which sort of creates a visual divide between where the kitchen area and the table area would be. It's also the better room for having a tile floor since that outside entrance is used more often. Most of the plumbing to the house is over on the side of the basement so it wouldnt' be a big deal. There are also gas lines on both sides of the basement too.

My main problem with moving the kitchen to the other room is the current kitchen room would make for an ugly living room. It has no architectural detail. The main advantage of it is that it's a north facing room so the TV wouldn't have glare. Plus, it's nice to have a patio off of a living room. It's also a better room for a living room furniture arrangement. I just can't figure out how to make it attractive. It's like a box. Perhaps I could add a big picture window on the wall that would be less likely to be used for furniture. It's just a dreary room for a living room.

My other alternative is to keep the kitchen where it's currently located and move the exterior door over to the corner where the basement door is located. That would give me two corners for the kitchen cabinets. Unforunately, the exterior door currently goes out to a very nice brick patio. If I moved it, it would exit to the side yard where there is nothing but grass.

Am I the only person who hates refrigerators? They seem to be the main problem in designing a kitchen. They are so darn big! Every good idea is ruined by the refrigerator!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Am I the only person who hates refrigerators?
Nah. They keep the beer cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating