Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM

81 posts, read 195,923 times

Advertisements

My focus is on the big long counter below the windows. Add more cabinets? Chop it off?

Also, looking to replace those blinds or just completely remove them. Plan on changing out the countertops and backsplash too, unsure of what yet. Want to do something other than Granite (Vetrazzo looks nice but I need to get lower quotes than The Great Indoors). Flooring will be distressed wood.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,800 times
Put a built-in wine rack below, maybe a trash compactor or something like that?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Is that long counter about 4-5 feet? How about a bistro set? Windows should be enjoyed, not covered. Would be a great place for a drink, reading a book while cooking, etc.

Unless the open end is a dining room where there is already a table...but maximize your window...remove the blinds if there is nothing on the other side of the window- neighbors/road.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
That is a lot of precious counter top space and from day one some one should have put cabinets there. Now it may be too late. Before you say just put cabinets there you need to know what brand and how old the existing ones are. Most cabinet manufacturers change door styles and color offerings every couple years just like auto manufacturers do. This means chances of matching what you have could be slim.

Find out your brand first and I can probably steer you from there. Your cabs look decent which tells me the manufacturer might be proud enough to print or place a label some where showing the brand. Look inside your drawer sides for a label. Look inside or behind the sink base doors. They are the obvious. From there if no luck it just takes experience knowing what manufacturer uses what color interiors. I think I can identify most all of them.

I will wait to see what you say from here before offering anything further.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:17 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Those windows are beautiful. That's a nice spot for a kitchen table, if you don't have one already.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM

81 posts, read 195,923 times
Here is the adjacent room:

I would love to make it a French door but have no idea the costs and am trying to be budget conscious since we have a lot of other work we plan on doing (flooring, repaint). Going to remove that top heavy trim/frame area around the door and windows also as it doesn't really fit our style.

The counter by my estimate is 5-6 feet.

Desertsun - Looking to get our keys within the next week or so, I will definitely check the cabinets. Do you have any pictures that where there are cabinets "off to the side" like that?

Thx for the suggestions so far.

Note: This is not our furniture as we are closing escrow next week.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:37 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,564 times
is it supposed to be like a "desk area"? My MIL has something like that in her kitchen. I would either use it as a place for stools, maybe when you replace the counter you could make that part jut out a bit more and make it like a bar area like some kitchen islands have, or I would take it out and put in the french doors like you're saying or put something else in front of the windows.... unless you would need more cabinet space-- then definately do that as extra counter and cabinets are always nice. It's a nice kitchen, congrats!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times
I would not remove the counter top. I would add storage below the open counter top - maybe more "serving" and entertaining type. The space would act as a side board. As someone suggested, a wine cooler below would be great - maybe add deep drawers to store serving platters and other serving dishes.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
"What would you do here? (Kitchen counter area) "

It would depend on being able to get more of the same cabinet- If you can't get an exact match- leave it as is.
If you can get your hands on the same-

First, I'd move the dishwasher- that a bad design. When open it's behind you when you're at the sink. Should be on the right-hand side of sink.
Do you have a pantry closet? If not, I'd use that space for pantry cabinets. And yes, that would mean losing the window. Which to me is no great loss- you have one over the sink.
If you do have a pantry closet- I'd still lose the window for some more wall cabinets. And some combination of base, wine cooler, ice maker, compactor, etc.

What do you think-D.S.?

I'd also lose the pilaster/pediment over the backdoor. It totally overwelms the space- and makes the "crown" detail on the cabinets look miniscule-no, down right tacky!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
JT2 I'm glad you posted another view. Now I am able to identify your brand. I do believe you have Legacy Cabinets in maple wood species and toast stain. The door style is Camden. The good news is yes it is still available to match perfectly.

Now for the hard part. You need to lose the end which is a dishwasher panel. Then you measure your length from your last cabinet to where the DW panel now sits. I can only guess it to be about 45". If it is less then 48" you are in luck and only have to buy one box.

When you get to that part I can tell you how to put a base cabinet in with the counter top still in place without disturbing it or breaking it. As you can figure, the new cab will not just slide in. The existing cabs were in before flooring so the flooring has taken up perhaps a half inch. The counter top overhangs the cabinet face. You can see the trouble I am getting at. No problem at all though. Routine stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating