Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

I need to fit extra beds into a small bedroom (10x14) for full grown teenagers.

I'd like to use long twin mattresses and arrange them like corner seating with a table in the corner.

I think this would provide the best use of space. There would be more floor space.

Plus, the kids can sit and play video games and just generally hang out on the beds.

I'd like to do a platform bed so I don't have to buy box springs.

My main problem is all furniture I'm finding looks like it's for little children.

I envision a hip Euro or Asian look with a mature teen spin----low long twin beds with clean lines providing deep seating, lots of pillows

This is for boys.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Sounds just like the same thing we've been discussing for our son's room.
When we pull the trigger I'm drawing up the plan/idea for my cabinet guy. I'm going to get him to build it out of MDF- and paint it.
Build it in modules so it's easy to transport- and lots of stowage- sorry, storage. My nautical side took over for a moment!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:51 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Good place so look for attractive but cheap euro-asian furniture would be West Elm and IKEA. Neither will be heirloom funiture but will definitely fit the bill for cool enough for the teen and something you won't shed a tear over sending off in the Good Will van a few years from now.

Are you placing the beds adjacent to the 10' walls or the 14' walls? If you place them along the 14' walls you'll have half the room as bed space and half as sitting area. Placing them along the 10' wall gives you a nice usable space between them but its tough to make good use of that 3'x3' area at the foot of the bed (especially if you are dodging door and window placement. Using trundle type beds might also help if you can avoid also having dressers in their. A bed, a bean bad and desk space for each child can typically get the job done.

I work in an area where alot of the high $ homes are actually the tightest on space and this issue comes up a lot in regard to shared rooms. I've even seen people stack all the kids in one room & use another as a play room when was no decent compromise to giving them equitable space within rooms.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Good place so look for attractive but cheap euro-asian furniture would be West Elm and IKEA. Neither will be heirloom funiture but will definitely fit the bill for cool enough for the teen and something you won't shed a tear over sending off in the Good Will van a few years from now.
Thanks for the West Elm tip. Already checked IKEA. Hope West Elm has something I like.

If not, I was considering having them custom built like K'ledgeBldr plans to do.

Quote:
Are you placing the beds adjacent to the 10' walls or the 14' walls? If you place them along the 14' walls you'll have half the room as bed space and half as sitting area. Placing them along the 10' wall gives you a nice usable space between them but its tough to make good use of that 3'x3' area at the foot of the bed (especially if you are dodging door and window placement.
I considered running them the entire length of the 14 foot wall but the room heating is along that baseboard. Instead, I'll put one on the 10 foot wall and the other on the 14 foot wall. I plan to use a big square table for the 3'x3' section in the corner. There are no windows and doors in that corner so it should work out.

Quote:
Using trundle type beds might also help if you can avoid also having dressers in their. A bed, a bean bad and desk space for each child can typically get the job done.
I don't want to use a trundle. I need the beds to serve for as much seating space as possible. My teens live in their room and always have tons of friends over. No room for bean bags. Need to have dressers because there is no closet. I'm buying two super tall dressers and placing them side by side along one wall. Then I need an entertainment center to pull all of their electronics together into one place. Plus a desk is super important too.

Quote:
I work in an area where alot of the high $ homes are actually the tightest on space and this issue comes up a lot in regard to shared rooms. I've even seen people stack all the kids in one room & use another as a play room when was no decent compromise to giving them equitable space within rooms.
The reason I'm running out of space is because I'm taking in two teenagers within the next few weeks. Their families kicked them out of their houses. One is a boy and the other is a girl. I need to bunk the boy in my son's room. They are best friends. He still has a year left of high school so he's going to be staying with us for quite some time. Just want to make it comfortable for everyone.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would loft the beds and then put some beanbags or futons under them for sitting space, much like you see in college dorms. That will give you a lot of room for friends and the beanbags/futon are a lot easier to sit on then a bed.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 AM

My son already has a futon. I takes up most of the room when it's open and wouldn't leave room for anything other than the loft beds.

Plus, he's too tall for the futon. He really needs a Queen size bed, but I'm going to try a long twin bed for tall people.

10 x 14 (I think it's really 12 x 14) isn't a bad size room for one child, but fitting in furniture for more than one child is a challenge.

Worse case, my husband and I might switch rooms and let them have our bedroom. *sigh*

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Ideas for Teen Rooms with Small Space | Interior Designs And Home Ideas
The above seems the best for your situation.

Very good, short article with diagrams to show how to make room seem bigger:
Teen Bedroom Design And Decorating Ideas

Space-saving furniture ideas:

Good (ignore the bright colors unless you're into it)-
Cool Teen Room Furniture For Small Bedroom by Clei | DigsDigs

Others:
25 Cool Boys Bedroom Ideas by ZG Group | DigsDigs
Lovely Colorful Modern Teen Room Design Inspirations by Tumidei - HomeHouseDesign.Com

Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Thanks, LIGuy! There are some great ideas!

I love the platform idea---with the beds rolling out from under the raised flooring areas.

I think I'm going to have a difficult time purchasing those products----most are in Europe.

I really like the Tumidei designs! http://www.tumidei.it/new/en/index.htm

Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Looks like West Elm has platform frames that will work! I'm getting excited!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:40 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Hopes, I don't want to rain on your parade but have you been to west elm or just looking online? IMO west elm has some GREAT designs, love the look of their stuff but the quality is very very shoddy. I would say between west elm and Ikea, Ikea has far better quality, which isn't saying much especially since west elm is much more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating