Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times

Advertisements

I have a light tan sofa and 2 recliner chairs, they don't show scratches as much as my dark burgundy love seat.
I'd love to get dk brown recliners this time but am not sure about the scratches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
So my wife & I are about to decorate our living room. It is an open floor plan to the kitchen, nice windows. Floors are wood maple. Walls will be painted a lighter tone (currently white) This will be a TV room and we've been considering a leather couch.... 2 sofas in an L shape rather than a sectional. Originally, we thought a light sofa (light cream) would keep the room "bright", but after talking with several sales folks (plus some common sense) this shade of couch would tend to show dirt more and would need to be babied more. The couch would get nightly traffic watching TV. We don't have kids yet, but it is in the plans. So now we are leaning toward a mid-tone or dark brown leather couch. A dark couch can be as bold as a light couch in terms of contrast with the floor, and we could punch it up with light pillows and a light rug.... but might it be too dark? Our concern with a mid tone brown couch is the tone/color would be pretty similar to the floor and kitchen cabinets. Lot of similar value brown. We're not really interested in blue or green couches though.

Anyhow, we'd be curious to hear from owners of light or dark leather couches -- difficult to keep lighter ones clean? do the dark ones add to much darkness to the room?
My sectional is nearly white leather. It gets use every day and hasn't shown any signs of wear in about a year and a half so far. I clean it every now and then with Lexol, and every second or third cleaning I go over it with Leatherique. It's not the cheapest leather cleaner / conditioner you'll find but I haven't been able to find anything that it can't beat.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Scratches showing depends on the type of the leather. Certain types of leather won't get scratch marks. You can test it by clawing your fingernails into the sample at the store.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
White is perhaps the hardest color to keep loking nice in leather or fabric or even carpet. it shows dirt easily and even clothes will make it dirty in no time.If you chose white you better like to clean it and of course keep sunlight away from white as it yellows it with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating