Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times

Advertisements

I need input!

I'm in the process of deciding on optional upgrades for my new home construction, but they will be minimal because I find their selections very limited and overpriced.

At some point in the future, I would like to replace the entire house with quality hardwood flooring after the standard carpet gets dirty but...

I also know that tile floorings can be expensive to replace and I'd rather not go down that route. I'm trying to decide if the entire kitchen/family room should have tile flooring or just the kitchen area? I would think having the hardwood flooring in the family side of the room that flows with the rest of the house would look appealing, but I am concerned about the mismatch in that room.

The pictures (http://www.previewfirst.com/vt/photos/25276 - broken link) numbered from 15 to 31 shows the exact color scheme that I will have in the house. If I do half tile flooring and half carpet, they would meet at the kitchen island countertop.

BTW, if I opt for tile flooring for the entire room, which color would look best? The color of countertop tiles can be changed.

Last edited by TimC2462; 04-11-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 AM

206 posts, read 746,717 times
Is it within your budget to do hardwood in the kitchen/family room?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Would your builder give you a credit for not installing flooring in those rooms and let you hire someone outside to come in and do that?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
Is it within your budget to do hardwood in the kitchen/family room?
At the moment, it would be stretching it. The funds that I have would go towards the basic needs such as bills, and mortgage payments, and buying some needed furnishing. I probably would have anywhere from $2000 to $3500 in incentives leftover from the home construction builder after they have covered the closing costs.

For them to install hardwood flooring would exceed 15,000 dollars in upgrades for the entire house. I know I can go to Home Depot or order on the internet for pre-finished or engineered wood flooring for much less than that.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Would your builder give you a credit for not installing flooring in those rooms and let you hire someone outside to come in and do that?
I could ask my builder, but I doubt they would since we entered a purchase agreement that they complete the construction in June and close by June 30th so I can receive the $8000 tax credit.

At first, the saleswoman was very hesitant about committing to the deadline but her superior gave her the OK to enter the contract with us.

BTW, will you be watching the Masters?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
The pre-engineered wood floors are not the same quality, very thin and do not stand up to re-finishing. There is a reason it is cheaper.

I like the hardwood throughout. IMO it looks much better than tile. Maybe there are other upgrades you could do to your home later other than the floor and use those credits now toward the floor?

For instance, maybe you could go with cheaper faucets, pulls, etc and find the $$ for the hardwoods?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Typically builders will not allow this, especially if it's a tract builder. In alot of cases, you can't get the CO without completing the home.

I would suggest to get the same flooring for both areas since it is so open. The transition from tile to hardwood will be weird in such an open space. If you are going to do tile w/ std carpet, why not just push it and do the whole area hardwoods. You can use the $8k credit to help with home furnishings. It may also be an option to roll closing costs into your loan to free up some more incentive money. It's worth asking.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 PM

648 posts, read 3,089,331 times
i'd put in heated wood floors in kitchen and family room. i had parquet in my kitchen (from previous owner) that held up really well even with two dogs.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The pre-engineered wood floors are not the same quality, very thin and do not stand up to re-finishing. There is a reason it is cheaper.

I like the hardwood throughout. IMO it looks much better than tile. Maybe there are other upgrades you could do to your home later other than the floor and use those credits now toward the floor?

For instance, maybe you could go with cheaper faucets, pulls, etc and find the $$ for the hardwoods?
The only upgrades we have chosen so far pertains to the tiles in the master bedroom, guest bathroom, laundry room, and of course the kitchen area. Other than that, everything else is standard. I do very much prefer hardwood floor, but I won't be able to commit to it for at least a year since budget will be tight. I figure the cost of installing hardwood floor would range anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 dollars for an 1800 square feet.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Typically builders will not allow this, especially if it's a tract builder. In alot of cases, you can't get the CO without completing the home.

I would suggest to get the same flooring for both areas since it is so open. The transition from tile to hardwood will be weird in such an open space. If you are going to do tile w/ std carpet, why not just push it and do the whole area hardwoods. You can use the $8k credit to help with home furnishings. It may also be an option to roll closing costs into your loan to free up some more incentive money. It's worth asking.
Seeniorita, your'e right about tract builder not being flexible with the buyer's request.

I think I'll heed part of your advice and do the whole house with hardwood floor, with the exception of the laundry room and bathrooms. I prefer not to roll in the closing cost into the life of the loan or I would end up paying interest.

The only downside is that I have to tell the builder to install the standard tiles and carpet in the kitchen/family room (since there is no upcharge), get the CO, then rip out the tiles in the kitchen when it is time to install the hardwood floor.

At this point, it's really about minimizing the cost on material and labor. Until the escrow closes, my options are very limited.

Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating