Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Personally, I think the front door should never match the shutters - it is a bit like DTM shoes. The eye should be drawn to the front door.

I've been painting houses for over 28 years and 90% if not more paint their front door the same as their shutters. Depending on the color scheme of the house,trim and shutters,adding another color for the front door is usually way to much..but to each their own.

If you really want to set your door off with a rich look,invest is a stainable fiberglass door with leaded glass.You can stain it with a nice deep mahogany color which will make the oak grain really stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I've been painting houses for over 28 years and 90% if not more paint their front door the same as their shutters. Depending on the color scheme of the house,trim and shutters,adding another color for the front door is usually way to much..but to each their own.
Fortunately, no one is required to decorate by democracy, so just because 90% of the houses you paint have the same color door as shutters does not force me to like it for my house.

Our street started with everyone have either brown or black shutters with matching doors. Since there were many of the same floorplans, things looked pretty boring. One by one, people started individualizing, which made a huge difference. Some went with completely different colors, others picked a different shade or tint of the shutters. It really brightened the street and made the doors stand out from the shade of the porches.

I agree though, that more colors need to be added carefully to a house and would add that the landscaping and light exposure also need to be factored into as well as the house style.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I agree with the red door. Do something to make your house stand out from the rest. I would probably have to put red somewhere else on the house though, just for my personal tastes (red flowers, some red trim somewhere, etc.). I like that balance.

I read somewhere when we were in the process of selling one home that houses with yellow front doors sell faster then houses with other colors. I painted that door yellow (which went with the decor of the house anyway so it wasn't a big deal).

I am trying to figure out what to do with our front door. It is fiberglass or whatever with a wood look stain that has faded. I am trying to decide if we should paint it, restain it (with what I don't know) or just leave it look bad .

Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am trying to figure out what to do with our front door. It is fiberglass or whatever with a wood look stain that has faded. I am trying to decide if we should paint it, restain it (with what I don't know) or just leave it look bad .

You can strip the door right down to the original finish and start over from there with a new stain color or the same one that's on there now. They sell the gel stain kits with everything you'll need to re stain it at any lumber yard that sells these doors. You might want to hire a professional painter to strip it unless you're handy at doing stuff like this. You can send me a DM and I can explain the easiest process, I do several of these every year because people always forget to add another coat of poly. every year or at least every other year depending on how much sun the door gets. The UV rays from the sun will break down the urethane.I bet the upper part of the door looks great and from about the mid way point down is all faded.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree with the red door. Do something to make your house stand out from the rest.
Drive through your neighborhood and you will probably see lots of red doors - I don't think having a red door necessarily makes your house stand out from the rest - it often makes you look like you have no imagination.

Do google "red door", "green door," blue door," etc. and see what google images has for you. Your house color is very neutral - you might want to think of a door color that is a little dramatic and different. I vote for using your imagination and doing something besides the red door.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM

137 posts, read 614,968 times
Someone mentioned plum and I concur with that suggestion! I do think red is overdone a bit (though our new build will have a red door courtesy of my husband making that one of his must have requirements). Yes, I did want a plum door!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Drive through your neighborhood and you will probably see lots of red doors - I don't think having a red door necessarily makes your house stand out from the rest - it often makes you look like you have no imagination.

Do google "red door", "green door," blue door," etc. and see what google images has for you. Your house color is very neutral - you might want to think of a door color that is a little dramatic and different. I vote for using your imagination and doing something besides the red door.
Ok, didn't see a single red door, almost all of them are either white or wood. There is one bright orange door though.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
There are red and black doors in my neighborhood here. My old neighborhood had mostly wood stained doors. I think I've decided on red.

I've got some Benjamin Moore paint strips in front of me & having a hard time deciding. I don't think I could go wrong with any of the choices honestly. They look pretty neutral to me.

The colors I'm considering are: BM cottage red, country redwood, & classic burgandy

I need to verify with the builder that shutters are included. If so, I would choose black.

The house colors have changed some. The original colors were a house we didn't end up purchasing. Here's a picture of the house:

Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Another team red!

The good thing about paint is you can do it over easily. A door is so simple to paint. If you hate the red you can change it. My mother once re-painted, by herself, the entire living room a week after she decided she couldn't stand the color she had chosen. A door is nuttin'!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
Oh Boy! Would my wife LOVE this thread....When we renovated our house the front door was swiss coffee inside and out. We did the inside of the house with 13 different colors and we did the outside of the door a dark yellow/gold( lions mane) The inside walls were similar dark/gold yellows so we left the inside of the front door swiss coffee which was a neat contrast. Since then...............I did the outside in a textured dark green rustoleum product which looks like a green beach. It was nice...for a while.....in the mean time I painted the inside with three different colors( Its a simple six panel steel clad door) and three finishes: sprayed hammered bronze at the panels, brushed plum at the panel borders, rolled dark yellow at the perimeter and separators. Love it!
My lovely wife decided the exterior needs redoing. " No problem honey, just sand off the textured green and we'll do whatever you want!!"
She smiled, I helped sand and we got a nice metallic rubbed brass on the exterior as of today( tick tick tick).
I do not like having any glass of any kind in my front door. I don't anyone to able to see inside our house unless we choose to do so. That is particularity true when it comes to answering the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating