Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 19,004 times

Advertisements

I was thinking repaint my range hood and went to Lowes to get an off-white spray paint. I talked one of the employees over there, she gave me one can of spray paint. I trusted her and tried it on my rang hood. Unfortunately, it turned out to be black. What?!!!What should I do?It is not easy to remove the black mark left on the range hood.

I contacted their customer service and was told there is nothing they can do about it.

Lowes has been one of my favarite store and disppointed me again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Return the can for off-white and spray the hood. I did that once and it turned out great. You might want to LIGHTLY sand the black mark or use a bit of primer to cover it before you respray.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
I agree with golfgal - paint some more! It will work. You can use Kilz (a primer) in a spray can first - then paint.

I would guess some customer switched the caps on the spary can - cute joke (not!). Good lesson for us all - Test first! - test the spray can before applying to the surface to paint!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
yes, you can spray paint it, i sprayed mine black 10 years ago, and it has still lasted.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You said you bought off white paint and it came out black. Back up. Was the wrong cap on the can since spray paint has color coded cans?

Next problem is you trusted a minimum wage employee who knows less then a first grader about paint. Their home improvement experience amounts to hanging a curtain rod for Grandma. Why do people even ask these clowns for advice?

Next you experiened customer service from the big box stores that has become the norm. "We can't help you" is what they told you. So now because of their mistake YOU have to drive all the way across town on YOUR gas and precious time to correct THEIR mistake.

Now where have I heard that story play out before..............

Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks for your advice. Guys.

The spray paint did come with an off-white cover, however, it is black. And they did tell me there was nothing they can do.

The black mark is almost gone. I guess I have to cover it with off-white. Hope it will work.

I do not know whom I should blame? Employees over there have been helpful. I am not satisfied how they dealt with their own mistakes though.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeb_b View Post
Thanks for your advice. Guys.

The spray paint did come with an off-white cover, however, it is black. And they did tell me there was nothing they can do.

The black mark is almost gone. I guess I have to cover it with off-white. Hope it will work.

I do not know whom I should blame? Employees over there have been helpful. I am not satisfied how they dealt with their own mistakes though.
There is no "blame". Just bring it back with the receipt and say that the cover indicates that the paint is off -white but it is black, can I exchange it for the correct color and have them test the color before you leave the store. You are really making a big deal over nothing.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:26 PM

I wish I could consider this as "no big deal". Maybe after I cover the black mark, I will get over it.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeb_b View Post
I wish I could consider this as "no big deal". Maybe after I cover the black mark, I will get over it.
Good. There are far many bigger problems in the world than this. Paint is meant to be painted over. So wear it out with the correct color. Lesson to be learned is to also spray a test spray.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You said you bought off white paint and it came out black. Back up. Was the wrong cap on the can since spray paint has color coded cans?

Next problem is you trusted a minimum wage employee who knows less then a first grader about paint. Their home improvement experience amounts to hanging a curtain rod for Grandma. Why do people even ask these clowns for advice?

Next you experiened customer service from the big box stores that has become the norm. "We can't help you" is what they told you. So now because of their mistake YOU have to drive all the way across town on YOUR gas and precious time to correct THEIR mistake.

Now where have I heard that story play out before..............
That is so funny " a minimum wage employee", I too feel the same way too!

I never ask any of the 'kids" from big box for help, like they would even understand what I could possibly mean, or let alone some ghetto chick from the hood, yeah, she would rally know what I am looking for. Plus they could not even tell me squat about any of my projects.......

Now a retired man that has worked construction all his life is the type of person I would like to help me in one of those orange stores, I would trust his advice...........seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating