Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 AM

972 posts, read 2,442,806 times

Advertisements

Absolutely go with what you want!!! I love black cabinets with a simple panel door, beautiful hardware and light colored countertops in a well light kitchen.

Every house we have ever lived in was built new and had the "latest" trend in kitchens. Everytime, I was sick of it within 5 years EXCEPT the one with painted cabinets. I was told not to do it and had to search out my own cabinet maker to find one who did painted finishes. I am glad I went with what I really wanted, and encourage you to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,082,816 times
We ended up going with Kraftmaid's Peppercorn Cherry which is a dark dark brown that looks almost black. The vintage ebony was only available on their high end cabintry which was out of our price range. We picked New Venetian Gold granite to go with it. I had to make the choice for granite by pictures my husband sent me on his iphone!?! I hope I don't hate it. Thanks for all of your replies.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 PM

137 posts, read 614,725 times
It sounds beautiful to me!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
We ended up going with Kraftmaid's Peppercorn Cherry which is a dark dark brown that looks almost black. The vintage ebony was only available on their high end cabintry which was out of our price range. We picked New Venetian Gold granite to go with it. I had to make the choice for granite by pictures my husband sent me on his iphone!?! I hope I don't hate it. Thanks for all of your replies.
Post pictures when you get done with it!

Oh and I just noticed your status...moving to Massachusetts. What part are you going to? My boyfriend is from there and just got back.

edit- I just found a pic of the New Venetian Gold granite with a darker cabinet for you to see how it looks.

http://www.msgraniteguys.com/adminpanel/images/New%20Venetian%20Gold%20Hutch%2072.JPG (broken link)

Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,082,816 times
Charlton is where we're going which is about an hour west of Boston.

I like the way the countertop looks with the darker cabinets in photos. I just hope I like it in person. Thanks for the link.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,412 times
New Venetian is like the Toyota Camry of granite, everyone has it.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,718,698 times
If it's what you like, you have the right to do so. You're the one who has to live with them. For me, black is completely unreasonable....it's too dark, shows every smudge.....and again, way too dark for me. Black is a color I would never have in my kitchen. Again though, it's YOUR kitchen and if it's what you like, then you'll be happy with it......at least for now. LOL

Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
If it's what you like, you have the right to do so. You're the one who has to live with them. For me, black is completely unreasonable....it's too dark, shows every smudge.....and again, way too dark for me. Black is a color I would never have in my kitchen. Again though, it's YOUR kitchen and if it's what you like, then you'll be happy with it......at least for now. LOL
I agree.

I was thinking about this post when I stumbled upon a photo of a (rather upscale) house with kitchen cabinets painted with black chalkboard paint. Not for me, in this house, at this time in my life, but still, very clever and unconventional.

I admire folks who have the courage to color outside of the lines.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 PM

17 posts, read 93,146 times
I am absolutely 100% FOR black cabinets. In fact, I plan on painting mine black very soon! We have butcher block countertops right now that I despise, so we are going to get stainless steel countertops. I'm just still trying to decide on what color to paint the walls to match this theme without making it TOO modern, since my living room will soon be light colors. Good luck with your cabinets though!!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:54 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You should be afraid to paint cabinet black. Everyone will point and laugh at you. If you ever try to sell a house with black cabinets it will rot on the market beyond our years on earth. Going cherry, maple or oak is not a color, it's a wood species. From there you put the color stains on the wood. But your mention of these woods suggest you are buying new. What is it you are doing?

You will even have a hard time finding a cabinet manufacturer who sells black as a color offering. Those few who do will call it ebony or some dumb misleading name from the color charts and wheels.
You clearly are not familiar with homes in New England. She's buying in MA outside Boston. I'm in New England too, and I've seen black kitchens in colonials, where painted everything is typical, and black kitchens in urban loft rehabs. No one laughs In fact, you're the first person I've ever seen have this reaction to black cabinets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating