Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,463 times

Advertisements

I am looking to start over with colors in my house. I wanted to repaint my kitchen a green color and the rest of the house a cream color. I selected Sherwin Williams either Jersey Cream SW 6379 or Echelon Ecru SW 7574. I am having a hard time finding a green that I like. I though about Sherwin Williams Hearts of Palm SW 6415 for the kitchen, dining room & laundry room. We have all white cabinets and white counters (until I upgrade to granite).

I am not great at color so any input on colors would be great. Our hardwoods are an light-to-medium stain (pretty average color).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 AM

47 posts, read 246,710 times
I think you've made some nice selections. I would go with the Echelon Ecru- 7575 Chop Sticks is a nice one too.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,389 times
I would recommend buying small paint cans (samples or the smallest you can get) of your favorite 1-3 colors and paint large sections of your wall with it. It will really help you out. When we did that, we realized that our #1 green looked too blue so we found two more that were more green (one was too light, the other just perfect). What you don't want is to like the sample and then pay lots of money for tons of paint that you don't like.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
I would recommend buying small paint cans (samples or the smallest you can get) of your favorite 1-3 colors and paint large sections of your wall with it. It will really help you out. When we did that, we realized that our #1 green looked too blue so we found two more that were more green (one was too light, the other just perfect). What you don't want is to like the sample and then pay lots of money for tons of paint that you don't like.

Excellent advise!

I always tell my customers to buy a few quarts and try some samples and make sure you look at them in every different light,you'd be amazed how they change color from day - night. I have a S/W color Relaxed Khaki in my dining rm and also in my kitchen and they look totally different as the kitchen has a lot more light coming though.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I can't help--really. I've worked behind a paint desk, mixing colors for people, and we're not really qualified to pick out YOUR color. It's got to be what you like and are comfortable with. Anything coming from me would only be an opinion. I might be able to say I think a color's far too light or deep (in my opinion)--especially if compared with another color. But that's as far as I could go.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Paint color is a very personal choice, and I agree with a PP about the paint samples.
Try a few if you are not really sure, especially when it comes to green. I love green but it is undoubtedly a tricky color.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,716 times
I can't help you pick a specific color but I can recommend going on a color field trip to find pleasing color combinations in items. Look at bedding, table cloths, decorative pillows, place mats, gift paper, facial tissue boxes or cards. I find color inspiration everywhere! In fact, I chose my entire downstairs color palette based on two coffee cups I found at Target.

Consumer products are designed with professional graphic color coordination. Look for a green you love and see what other colors are incorporated in the design.

Once you narrow down the combination, buy it (if it's cheap) and take it to the paint store to find a match and get a quarts made up to test the color out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating