Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,825 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. First post here, but I already found info that has helped on other items, so I thought you may be able to help on this.

In our kitchen remodel, we have to meet up hardwood flooring with a tiled kitchen. (easy enough). We stripped out tile, cement board and a new subfloor topper from a prior remodel (not us) because it was significantly thicker (higher) where the tile met the wood and had a horrible rasied transition.

When we got to the original subfloor (5/8") it is a teeny spongy. Not rotted, not holey, moreso where the seams meet and between the joists. Still, a solid floor is a good floor.

We have 3/4 in to work with (to get everything level to the top of the hardwood.

Should we:
A: place 1/4" new floor over the existing (plus the 1/4" Hardi and 1/4" tile, plus room for mortar) OR

B: rip the original sub our totally and lay down 1/2" (plus the rest)

The only issue is that the hardwood ends before a joist. Meaning, I can't put down new sub and have the end hit a joist. It's about 4" until it would be secured. I figure I would have to put in a middle joist from underneath in order to have something to secure it to.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
I can't vouch for in kitchen environment, but faced with the same situation in my upstairs bathroom, we went with 5/16" Durock over the existing 5/8" plywood, which also wasn't all that stable at the joints.

For bond strength, I prefer the mesh-cement boards (Durock, Wonderboard) over the fiber cement (Hardibacker), but such is a bigger issue on walls, not as much for flooring.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 15,825 times
Narf- that's at least something to know. I do appreciate that info.
Did you 5/16" Durock seem to do the job upstairs? (I could read that either way: that the sub wasn't totally stable- like ours OR that it wasn't but was great when you finished.)

Old 06-04-2010, 12:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
It's the former - the plywood squeaked, creaked, and could sink a millimeter deep, at the joints.

It's stable with the cement board. It's mortared to the plywood, and screwed down at every joist. In other words, follow the manufacturer's directions on installation, and it'll be fine.

The tile ...12x12 on a staggered brick layout. It kept it more interesting versus the standard straight layout, not to mention a more forgiving when it comes to uneven walls.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
There's no substitute for a GOOD sub-floor!
Stacking thin layers will not achieve the goal no matter how much glue-n-woodscrew use.
If there is any significant deflection in the floor it will show up in the grout lines-CRACKS.

The issue is wanting to have a level transition between h'wood flooring and the tile flooring. An issue easily avoided if it were new construction.
As I stated before- start with a good sub-floor. At least 3/4" T&G, I'd recommend Advantech plywood (much more stable than regular ply). Now the interesting part, what is the size of the joist, and their clear span length? It may be possible to "shave down" the joist to gain more height.
The other scenario- add another joist between every existing joist (assuming they are 16"o/c) and start with 1/4" ply, glued and woodscrewed.

Remember, deflection will be your enemy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating