Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 52,044 times

Advertisements

I have a 93 Honda Accord EX (215K) and I am having starting issues. The main problem is the first morning start or if it has been sitting for a extended period of time. One morning my car will start perfectly fine and then the very next morning, I can not get it started - it just turns over and over. Once I do get it started, it runs perfectly fine and so far, starts up each time thereafter.
I have been reading that Hondas are notorious for the main fuel relay going bad but most of the posts I have read talk about the main relay not working only when it is hot. It is very cold where I am located so it makes me wonder if it is the main fuel relay? If anyone can provide some in site or experience, it would be very appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:19 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Only a guess... Honda's of that vintage have had some fuel pump issues...

Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,653 times
Sounds to me like the starter contacts need to be replaced. Let's face it, at 212K things wear out in a car If that's the issue, don't worry about it. That should be pretty simple to repair if you do it yourself. If you have to pay a mechanic, I bet labor will be three times higher than the parts as the parts are usually very inexpensive.

Second, I would put synthetic motor oil ALWAYS for cold weather. Synthetic oil helps with those "cold starts". In your case that is particularly true as your engine has quite a few miles.

Third, change the fuel filter and pour a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. That might help too.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,453 times
take the car to honda for 75$ they will put a scanner on it and diagnose the problem.i can tell you it could be a module i've seen some of the older hondas with this problem.the good thing is it will be inexpensive to repair don't sell the car or get yourself a new one fix it.the vehicle you have now is a great car and hard to replace.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
If the motor is turning over then its not the starter. You have a spark or fuel issue at that point, IF the motor is turning over.

Both are easy to identify problems on a Honda.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 103,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
If the motor is turning over then its not the starter. You have a spark or fuel issue at that point, IF the motor is turning over.

Both are easy to identify problems on a Honda.

I have a 1993 Honda also,and I had the same problem...I had to get an egnition switch put in my car.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 103,380 times
egnition switch problem

Old 05-06-2008, 11:27 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Only a guess... Honda's of that vintage have had some fuel pump issues...
Really? I've never had to replace the fuel pump in any of my Hondas. My 94 is still on her original fuel pump and she's got 370k miles. And two years ago, when I though I should replace the fuel pump ahead of time (I like to be pro active about my car maintenance), my buddy at the dealership parts department right away (without looking it up) told me that in the previous year, he'd never had to order a fuel pump once for my type of cars (92-95). He said that his inventory tracking should tell me that my fuel pump was just fine.

But I've noticed that main relays, ignitors and starters are good for about a solid 11 years. I've also replaced my ignition switch.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 53,200 times
My 93 honda croaked while driving it, but i had power to everything, turned key over and it acted like it wanted to start sputered and just started cranking like no gas. had it towed home and it started right up when the tow truck driver took it off, am wondering if it is the main relay or fuel pump

Old 12-17-2008, 09:13 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I had a 1991 Honda Accord LX sedan (which is nearly identical to the 1993).

I had a problem like that and it turned out being something around or in the distributor cap needed replaced. Seems it was a common problem after about 12-15 years on an otherwise bulletproof car. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Another common problem on the 1990-93 Accords with automatic transmission is a flashing "S" light, no overdrive (4th gear) and a non-working speedometer. Its caused by a faulty speed sensor on the transmission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura