Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:43 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
The 04-08 Acura TL was a beautiful luxury sport car. I love mine, I have a Acura TL Type S 2008. It is a pleasure to drive.
I agree. I have a '05 TL and I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 12:25 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
While I haven't priced Acuras lately, to see how they compare COST WISE -- with other brands, I CAN say I LOVE my Acura RSX, the 2 door hatchback coupe that the brand doesn't make any more.

I've sat in the current Acuras (just on the sales floor while waiting for my car on a route service visit) -- and I think they're great. But I'v also never sat in -- or DRIVEN -- a Lexus, or Audi, or Cadillac, or Infiniti.

I'd say Acuras are definitely worth the money.
IF, IF, Acura still made a car I'd be interested in I'd buy another Acura in a heartbeat.

BUT I only like coupes with hatches....so when EVENTUALLY my RSX has to go....Acura will lose a customer it could have had for life. I ask the sales people all the time: is Acura going to bring back a smaller 2-door car....and they say there are no plans for that AT ALL. So as far as I'm concerned the brand is giving up that entire market segment. Oh well. Personally I think it's dumb, because the smaller car is what might get your first buyer in the door -- and that person moves UP in car, and becomes a life-long customer.

As a matter of fact there's a commercial airing now for some brand -- can't recall which -- where you see the guy by his first sporty car, then as he gets married, has kids, and then is an empty-nester...you see that he's bought and moved up to a sedan, minivan, and then goes back and buys a new sporty car....all with the same brand.

But Acura made a decision 10 years ago -- after being considered the step-child of luxury cars....that it would 'move up' in luxury image -- and drop its "entry level" RSX coupe....and for years now it's ONLY sold four-door sedans and SUVs...oh well. It's doing well in sales I guess......so they clearly don't need my purchase.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:58 PM

459 posts, read 1,743,914 times
I cross shopped the MDX with the RX earlier this year. I was buying new.

At that price point, there were a lot of plastics in the interior regardless of if it was an Acura or Lexus.

I honestly think both leave a lot to be desired in the interior category, especially at that price point. My RX ended up being slightly cheaper. I purchased one brand, spankin' new (albeit pretty bare, base + premium & blindspot with daytime running lights) for $39K. The Acura was still in the 40-41K range. Very close though. The RX would likely run a bit more expensive if it wasn't the year before generation swap.

Given that, I think the newly updated Lexus RX will leave the MDX in the dust. I don't think there is any way I would consider the '16 MDX against the '16 RX with the interior updates Lexus is doing. Then again, it may become completely different price points with the update too.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:45 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
The Acura represents... an ok value. The longer we have our MDX, the less I personally like it, though my wife doesn't mind nearly as much as I do.

I guess part of my problem is that our other SUV and previous SUV's have been so much better. Even our old Jeep GC Overland was quieter on the inside while driving and had better seating, if less luxury gadgets. And, it was also more powerful. 300hp V6 in a 7 passenger midsize SUV is merely adequate. Can't even chirp the tires when mashing the throttle. On the Jeep, I could do so easily, the V8 had lots of torque. The only thing the MDX bests the GC in is handling and steering feel, but not by much. For someone like me who values the driving experience more than gadgets and options, the MDX has been a let down.

If it wasn't for the transmission issues Jeep has been having, plus the newly discovered "hackable" infotainment systems... I'd pick a loaded Jeep GC over an MDX any day.

Most likely though, when we are ready to get rid of the MDX in about 2 years or so, we'll get another Cayenne. A used one runs about the same price as a new MDX, and it's a much better vehicle.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,236,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post

At that price point, there were a lot of plastics in the interior regardless of if it was an Acura or Lexus.

I honestly think both leave a lot to be desired in the interior category, especially at that price point. My RX ended up being slightly cheaper. I purchased one brand, spankin' new (albeit pretty bare, base + premium & blindspot with daytime running lights) for $39K. The Acura was still in the 40-41K range. Very close though. The RX would likely run a bit more expensive if it wasn't the year before generation swap.

Given that, I think the newly updated Lexus RX will leave the MDX in the dust. I don't think there is any way I would consider the '16 MDX against the '16 RX with the interior updates Lexus is doing. Then again, it may become completely different price points with the update too.
What trim level MDX could you get for $40-41k??

Old 07-26-2015, 08:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,236,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post

If you got quote for $40-41k for MDX AWD Tech, please PM me quote and dealer details and I will happily purchase NOW.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Sales would say other wise. I believe that Acura is in 4th place in sales behind BMW, Mercedes and Lexus. I believe that they are ahead of Audi and Cadillac.
Let's talk about how Acura's are built better than all but one of those. Who cares about SUV's anyway no one drives them for fun and there's no point in judging a car maker by their line of SUV's.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 464 times
Acura is a great car that is well worth the money. Honda quality is top notch. And the model stands out especially Acura ZDX
https://avtohelp.org/wp-content/uplo...ura-zdx-03.jpg

Old 05-15-2021, 05:56 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Acura is perfect for those who want something more premium all around and better performing than Honda and Toyota but who don't want to pay Lexus, MB, BMW, Audi prices.
Exactly. I know that's why I bought mine...."affordable" luxury.

BUT, maybe that's what hurt Acura also.. Not in MY mine because I've owned 3 of them.
However, for some reason, I get the impression that some people think of Acura as the "wanna-be" or "not as good as" Infiniti or Lexus.

Its like people think if luxury or a "better brand" is actually affordable then then must be something "less than" about it.

(Acura would be mine brand for life....except that they discontinued my RSX, and don't have any two-door hatchback coupes. None. And that is my car style for life. So I'll have to leave Acura eventually. Unless they add something like that back to the lineup. Every time I go in for service I go over to sales and ask have you heard if they're going to bring back a coupe? And the answer is no. So I'll have to go elsewhere despite loving the brand AND the level of service at every Acura dealer I've been to.)

Old 05-15-2021, 02:46 PM

37,118 posts, read 39,327,883 times
I think it's if you like the base Honda a lot, but wanted it to be nicer in some way, then Acuras are great. I also think Acura should lean more on the sportier and fun drive bit to distinguish itself from the premium crowd rather than the slightly cheaper bit as Honda certainly doesn't distinguish itself from Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Chevy, VW, and other non-luxury everyman brands by being less expensive, so it's odd to me that Acura seems to be trodding that path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura