Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 07:49 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

I know Honda vehicles have traditionally been very reliable. However it seems like Acura and in particular Acura SUV's have been slipping lately. I was surprised to see them fall behind the three Germans recently. What has happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 01:11 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Probably like BMW, they have incorporated so much ambitious, sometimes cutting-edge engineering and technology that are overly complex and often involve a chain where one break can easily affect and disrupt linked systems. I know reading scathing consumer reviews of the impressive on paper new RDX has convinced me to avoid this vehicle like the plague even though it otherwise meets all my criteria to the type that I wish to purchase.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
They probably got busted off for infotainment, which has nothing to do with reliability.
If you're like me and couldn't care less about infotainment, then it's a buy!

Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I drive a 2017 RDX. I like the engine and brakes. However, the drivetrain and suspension have been problematic. I have already had the rear struts replaced before 50,000 (required 3 visits). They are still making noise, especially when cold. The torque converter/drivetrain has also been a problem. I started noticing a vibration around 30,000. By 50,000 it was making a shuddering vibration/noise at highway speeds which is quite annoying. I've had it in twice for this issue and last week, at 54,000, they did a triple flush of the transmission and a software update (service bulletin). They told me to give it 500 miles to adjust. The shuddering/vibration has actually been worse since then and I am now nearing the 500 mile mark. They said I would have to bring it back in for a repeat flushing. If that doesn't work it is a replacement of the torque converter. This vibration/noise, coupled with the fact that the cabin is not quiet, makes highway trips quite unpleasant. I have had two Highlanders. We also have a CX5. Both Toyotas were much better vehicles. The Mazda, by far, is a much better driving vehicle than the Acura for far less money. That car, a 2016, also has about the same mileage and has had no issues. The only thing it lacks is the off-the-line acceleration of the V6.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:17 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I drive a 2017 RDX. I like the engine and brakes. However, the drivetrain and suspension have been problematic. I have already had the rear struts replaced before 50,000 (required 3 visits). They are still making noise, especially when cold. The torque converter/drivetrain has also been a problem. I started noticing a vibration around 30,000. By 50,000 it was making a shuddering vibration/noise at highway speeds which is quite annoying. I've had it in twice for this issue and last week, at 54,000, they did a triple flush of the transmission and a software update (service bulletin). They told me to give it 500 miles to adjust. The shuddering/vibration has actually been worse since then and I am now nearing the 500 mile mark. They said I would have to bring it back in for a repeat flushing. If that doesn't work it is a replacement of the torque converter. This vibration/noise, coupled with the fact that the cabin is not quiet, makes highway trips quite unpleasant. I have had two Highlanders. We also have a CX5. Both Toyotas were much better vehicles. The Mazda, by far, is a much better driving vehicle than the Acura for far less money. That car, a 2016, also has about the same mileage and has had no issues. The only thing it lacks is the off-the-line acceleration of the V6.
Did you buy it new? I've leased two RDXs back-to-back, a 2013 and 2017. The only problem I ever had was with the 2017 -- the A/C started blowing hot air. Fixed under warranty. Of course, I didn't have the vehicles past 30K miles.

I don't know if I can mention other forums but are you on any specifically for Acura owners where you can see if others have had the problem?

Old 07-02-2020, 03:46 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Honda’s, Acura’s, Toyota’s, Lexus, and the list goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I know Honda vehicles have traditionally been very reliable. However it seems like Acura and in particular Acura SUV's have been slipping lately. I was surprised to see them fall behind the three Germans recently. What has happened?

Old 07-04-2020, 05:43 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
you have to realize that these lists are made by complete morons, and most of the companies that produce the lists are paid. talk to mechanics, and ask them if they'd rather own a lexus or a BMW. Lexus's are overbuilt, while BMW's are over engineered. the germans can try all they want, but they will never build something with japanese quality.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
This is why Acura gets dinged:

It has NOTHING to do with reliability!

Old 07-05-2020, 12:08 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Good point.

Acura quality is still very good, however Toyota appears to have actually had a drop in reliability in recent years when it comes to some of their models.

Hard to tell if it is due to too many models, but the phrase holds true for them...not what they use to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

Old 07-05-2020, 12:54 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

Nah scro. That ZF 9 speed is a garbage transmission. It's definitely infotainment that is knocking them back a peg, but they've had issues with that 9 speed. Honda has always had problems with automatic transmissions. They have great engines though. Probably the best around d.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura