Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 11:52 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Acura does not have any models that are in the ultra high price range like Lexus has
First off, false - Acura has the NSX, a six-figure car which can be (very loosely) described as a competitor to the LC. Second, that’s completely irrelevant. You are, once again, comparing incomparables and focusing on edge cases. Acura is a luxury arm of Honda. Lexus is a luxury arm of Toyota. That’s all. Full stop. They are direct competitors in segments both companies occupy, e.g., basically all mainstream ones. The only potential difference is that Acura’s model lineup is more limited than Lexus’s. But that doesn’t really address the question asked in the OP.

(I don’t know what value you think your lists of model lineups add, but all they really do is make the thread unreadable.)

Last edited by highlanderfil; 04-11-2021 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 12:16 PM

Want a true comparison?

Let's take the midsize sedan segment.

Lexus: ES, starts at $40K. Corresponding Toyota: Camry, starts at $25K. (I don't love direct starting MSRP comparisons because they aren't done on an equipment-adjusted basis, but I'm also not inclined to spend hours digging into proprietary industry websites to go super granular on this).
Acura: TLX, starts at $37.5K. Corresponding Honda (kinda, because the TLX is now built on its own platform): Accord, starts at $25K.

Pretty close?

Let's try the compact crossovers.

Lexus: NX, starts at $37.6K. Corresponding Toyota: RAV4, starts at $26.2K.
Acura: RDX, starts at $38.4K. Corresponding Honda: CR-V, starts at $25.4K.

Finally, midsize crossovers.

Lexus: RX, starts at $45.2K. Corresponding Toyota: Highlander, starts at $35.1K.
Acura: MDX, starts at $46.9K. Corresponding Honda: Pilot, starts at $32.6K.

These are the meat and bones of the automotive industry. Pretty close on all counts.

So, yes, if an Acura is a "fancier Honda" (which is an extremely simplistic way of looking at it, but let's do that for the sake of this argument), Lexus is just as much a "fancier Toyota" with an average starting price markup from the "base car" of anywhere from 30% to 60%.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 04-11-2021 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 04:02 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Acura is a luxury arm of Honda. Lexus is a luxury arm of Toyota. That’s all. Full stop.
I am not so dimwitted that I don't understand branding. But I know that Hyundai had a long debate over whether Genesis should be a line of high priced models at Hyundai, of if they should have their own network of dealers. As we know, they decided that there should be a seperate brand.

The OPs question is the Acura brand less differentiated from the Honda brand compared to Lexus and Toyota. One indicator of that is the price point. That is why I listed the MSRP for all the models for each brand.

For instance you mention
Lexus: NX, starts at $37.6K. Corresponding Toyota: RAV4, starts at $26.2K.

But a RAV4 Prime starts at $38,250 and it seems to be a better automobile than the Lexus NX. It certainly is much cheaper to operate.

The 235 hp 2021 FWD NX 300 posted a 0-60 mph time of 6.9 seconds.
The 301 hp 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime achieves the 0 – 60 mph sprint in a mere 5.7 seconds.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
But a RAV4 Prime starts at $38,250 and it seems to be a better automobile than the Lexus NX.
According to whom?
Quote:
It certainly is much cheaper to operate.
While this may be true, luxury buyers aren’t primarily interested in their vehicles being cheaper to operate.
Quote:
The 235 hp 2021 FWD NX 300 posted a 0-60 mph time of 6.9 seconds.
The 301 hp 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime achieves the 0 – 60 mph sprint in a mere 5.7 seconds.
And what does this have to do with anything? Nobody buys these things to engage in speed contests. And the more powerful car will certainly NOT be cheaper to operate.

For what it’s worth, you can find this type of example applies to Honda and Acura, Nissan and Infiniti, Ford and Lincoln, even VW and Audi. There will always be a more expensive “regular” car than the entry level luxury car from the same corporate parent on the same platform. Problem is, virtually nobody actually buys those variants even if they might actually be better values (the typical sentiment being “I’m not going to pay $40K for a Camry!”), but that’s a discussion for a different thread on a different day.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:59 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I will give a few examples from my own experience.

Finally, I purchased a new 2008 Lexus ES350. Best car I've ever owned. At about 90,000 mile I replaced the water pump, it's only repair. It's unlikely that I will ever purchase anything but a Lexus again (absolutely never another Acura).

YMMV.
Just an update: About 3 weeks after I posted this I bought a new Lexus RX450h.

Loving it so far and appreciate the styling (with the exception of the front grill). The corresponding Toyota model, the Highlander looks frumpy by comparison.

The other vehicles I considered were SUVs by Mercedes and BMW.
Both were substantially more expensive and included fewer standard features. I only would have leased either of them but felt comfortable buying the Lexus based upon my previous experience with the brand.

My RX is a hybrid, has all-wheel drive, leather, wood, panoramic roof, cruise that includes steering, and much more. More expensive BMWs and Mercedes were stripped down by comparison.

BTW: I've noticed people here comparing the Lexus ES350 to the Toyota Camry. The actual counterpart to the ES350, size wise, is the Toyota Avalon.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
BTW: I've noticed people here comparing the Lexus ES350 to the Toyota Camry. The actual counterpart to the ES350, size wise, is the Toyota Avalon.
Technically speaking, you’re not wrong. But the Avalon represents a much smaller % of Toyota’s sales vs the Camry than the ES does of Lexus sales. But all three share the same platform now.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Acura is more like a Honda with a different trim level. Lexus also have some models that are stepped up Toyotas but it's more rare. There is no RWD model Toyotas and Acura does not have any models that can compete with the 2 door couples and flat ship GS Lexus Models. Lexus has been differentiating it's model more separately than ever before. It used to be some models are assembled at Toyota factories in Japan but not anymore.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Technically speaking, you’re not wrong. But the Avalon represents a much smaller % of Toyota’s sales vs the Camry than the ES does of Lexus sales. But all three share the same platform now.
Isn't the Avalon/ES350 platform a longer wheelbase version of the Camry's platform? Or are they now the same size?

If I'm not mistaken, the crossover RX and Highlander also share that (modified) platform.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Isn't the Avalon/ES350 platform a longer wheelbase version of the Camry's platform? Or are they now the same size?

If I'm not mistaken, the crossover RX and Highlander also share that (modified) platform.
Yep, you’re correct.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:31 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,251,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Acura is more like a Honda with a different trim level.
Not the now-defunct RLX and the NSX.
They don't have a Honda counterpart in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura