Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2022, 10:33 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,174,950 times

Advertisements

Just a curious question: if person A (with remote key) stands close to the car, and the door is auto unlocked. Is it possible that person B opens door and start engine and drive away? I am talking about pressing Engine Start button inside the car, not pressing remote key button, assuming Person B does not have remote key.

How close should remote key be next to engine press button (in order to start engine)?

Thanks.

Last edited by Baike; 03-20-2022 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 11:09 AM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I have to ask why you're asking. I thought you'd settled on a Forester.

According to Honda the remote start using your phone can work up to 400 feet. I didn't feel like downloading the Owner's Manual to find your specific question.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have to ask why you're asking. I thought you'd settled on a Forester.

Remote key, not phone. https://www.city-data.com/forum/hond...es-remote.html

I am not talking about start engine on remote key, I am talking about press Engine Start button inside the car.

As I stated, it is just curious about the technology (other modern cars should have similar feature). I am currently on Honda Civic rental car for a while (maybe 2-3 months), while my ford focus is waiting for warranty work (waiting for repair part, global supply chain issue). Forester will not arrive till August/September.

I am on Honda Civic for a while, then on my Ford Focus (when warranty work is done; estimated time: 2-3 months), then on Forester (estimated arrival: in August or September).

Last edited by Baike; 03-20-2022 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-20-2022, 06:06 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
You've got the car and the remote. Roll down the window, hold remote in left hand, stick it out the window as far as you can and then press the start button. If it starts, then you have your answer. Also, if it doesn't start, you have your answer.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You've got the car and the remote. Roll down the window, hold remote in left hand, stick it out the window as far as you can and then press the start button. If it starts, then you have your answer. Also, if it doesn't start, you have your answer.
Good idea, The answer is NO, I cannot start engine when sticking remote key outside the window, so there is no chance that someone else quickly opens the door and drive the car away (when door is unlocked & I stand near the car).

But I can start the engine when I throw remote key to back seat (which is further away from Start Engine button than sticking it outside the window).

Old 03-24-2022, 11:13 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
Good idea, The answer is NO, I cannot start engine when sticking remote key outside the window, so there is no chance that someone else quickly opens the door and drive the car away (when door is unlocked & I stand near the car).

But I can start the engine when I throw remote key to back seat (which is further away from Start Engine button than sticking it outside the window).
Honda/Acura and many other automakers use proximity sensors to tell where the key is. If it senses the key inside the vehicle, it will start from anywhere inside the car. If the key crosses the exterior the car will not start. My Acura TL/Expedition/Ram 3500 all use key fobs and push button start, but none will start nor move (if remote started) unless the key is inside the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura