U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 AM

5,500 posts, read 21,365,041 times

Advertisements

I have a Honda Accord 2000 4-Cyl with 85,000 miles.

I called a local Honda dealer to get the timing belt replaced. They want to charge $630 to replace the following:

- Water Pump
- Timing Belt
- Alt Belt
- Powersteering (fluid maybe?)
- Air Conditioning (what are they replacing here?)
- AntiFreeze

What does this all mean? Do I need all of this done? Is the price reasonable and can I trust a Honda shop?

Thanks,

W.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 02-10-2009 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Added 4-cylinder
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 19,925,068 times
I would shop around but to me it sounds just a bit expensive. When I need to replace the TB, WP, crank and cam seals and drive belts and some shops quoted me as high as $1,100 and as low as $550. Luckily one of the techs here at my dealership did the job for a mere $60 plus lunch.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM

15,805 posts, read 50,849,348 times
You are unlikely to get the best deal at the dealer. Look around for a good independent shop. I think they are proposing to replace all your V-belts (A/C, Power Steering, etc.). If your Honda has the water pump *inside* the timing belt like the 3S-FE Toyota engine does, it makes a lot of sense to replace both timing belt and water pump together.

To do the job, particularly with the water pump, the shop has to drain the coolant; likewise the V-belts have to come off to get at the timing belt itself.

In addition to the parts they have proposed to replace, I would add that the timing belt tensioner roller should be replaced, and I would replace at least the upper radiator hose, and maybe the thermostat, "while you are in there". All this stuff is just additional parts, the main cost of this job is labor to remove and re-install all the "stuff" that's in the way.

Again I don't know Hondas all that well, if it's like the Toy, the engine mount on that side of the engine where the timing belt is (typically passenger's side) will have to be dis-assembled partially and so the engine has to be supported from below or with a bar that goes across the fenders. This sounds harder and more serious than it really is.

Find yourself a good independent service shop, post your local forum and/or go to Car Talk's "Mechanix Files" to find a recommended shop.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM

7,005 posts, read 19,925,068 times
The WP is inside the TB. And you do have to work on the engine mount, and the job would take a few hours so that price quote from a Honda dealer is very competitive with shops. But like M3 Mitch and I said, shop around.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 PM

15,805 posts, read 50,849,348 times
Something that people outside the industry and/or not car geeks like me don't know is that most career service techs start at a dealer, work around a few dealers, maybe decide to specialize in domestic, Japanese, or European cars, then graduate to an indy shop where they can get a bigger share of the income they generate. The best of the bunch branch out and open their own shops. Guys like Sunsprit.

Now, that's not to say no dealer service department is good, for example the local VW dealer has an excellent service dept., excellent parts dept. where I buy parts for my old 82 Scirocco all the time. But I have seen more than a few parts departments that just plain gouge the consumer on parts and on labor rate. Personally, I don't like leaving my car with them, telling a "service writer" rather than talking to the mechanic myself (maybe this is helpful for people who don't know cars, but I speak Mechanic pretty fluently...) then coming back, check out what they did, get the bill, take it over to the window and pay. That last part reminds me of old-school Russian stores, this *is* exactly the way they did transactions during Soviet times.

I really greatly prefer to go to a small indy shop, where I know them, they know me, where I am talking to the business owner who is also the lead tech. Maybe it's just the cowboy in me, but I really prefer that eyeball-to-eyeball communication, maybe popping the hood to show what's doing what. These guys know that I'm a particular cuss, even with my "beaters", just because the 'roc ain't shiny does not mean I'll put up with grease prints, mangled fasteners, or any other sort of poor craftsmanship, nor do I want any dubious Chinese parts installed "because they are cheap and my car is old". They also know that people around work ask me about car issues, and that I send them business. It's a beautiful thing, really...

Anyway. The TB job on this car is a fair amount of work, based on what Mr. Cat says, I'm going to say it's pretty similar to the Toy, it's going to take an experienced tech with all the right tools about a half-day to do, a half-day of skilled labor isn't cheap.

Make sure you are getting real Honda parts or something equivalent that truly is "just as good", not just claimed to be "just as good".

Old 02-10-2009, 02:04 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,222,038 times
I had the timing belt and water pump replaced by a Honda dealer for around 300 bucks, but that was 12 or so years ago for an 89 Civic Si.

The AC and power steering stuff sounds hokey to me.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 35,769 times
I bought a 2002 accord v6 coupe with 20,000mls so I wouldn't have to drive my BMW m3 everyday.The accord windows stopped working,the paint faded at 40,000mls and now its due for a tb,wp,and srs light is on.Funny I bought the accord because I didn't want to drive my m3 all the time but I'm driving m3 anyway. Never thought my m3 would be less maintenance intensive than a Honda.Forgot the accord has also developed an oil leak.Went out of town 2hr trip when I arrived noticed oil on my back bumper,I checked engine oil and had approx 1 qt remaining.Accord was always clean,waxed,covered oil changed every 5000 mls Mobil1 trans fluid every 30000 mls Honda brand the car has 100,000 mls now and is falling apart.IMO Honda built lemons from 1998-2002 and I will never buy another Honda product of any kind.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 35,519 times
...my dear Gixxer711....sorry to hear of your sorrows, but I think you are sadly mistaken....I also purchased a Honda Accord so I wouldn't have to drive my Titan back and forth to the office and waste all that gas...but mine is a 2000 LX. Oddly, I also had a window issue, drivers side front, but no biggie.....as for MY purchase, I bought it off Craigslist almost 3 years ago and at 159,653 miles...BUT a one owner car. YESTERDAY I decided to finally do my change my timing belt and all associated parts due to the car now having 191,000 miles...this is the first MAJOR repair I have done and it was only done so I wouldn't have to worry about it this winter....also change the O2 sensor about a year and a half ago....this car has been absolutely FANTASTIC...I know it is luck of the draw sometimes, but if you do your homework on where a used car comes from, what maintenance has been preformed on a timely basis and treat the car with car, it should run for years and years.....after yesterdays repairs and from what the mechanics told me about what the engine looked like inside, I should be able to get a few more years out of her, regardless of her outward appearance which is having its own sun issues on the hood....MY NEXT CAR WILL BE A HONDA AGAIN.....

Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM

13,719 posts, read 28,112,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer711 View Post
I bought a 2002 accord v6 coupe with 20,000mls so I wouldn't have to drive my BMW m3 everyday.The accord windows stopped working,the paint faded at 40,000mls and now its due for a tb,wp,and srs light is on.Funny I bought the accord because I didn't want to drive my m3 all the time but I'm driving m3 anyway. Never thought my m3 would be less maintenance intensive than a Honda.Forgot the accord has also developed an oil leak.Went out of town 2hr trip when I arrived noticed oil on my back bumper,I checked engine oil and had approx 1 qt remaining.Accord was always clean,waxed,covered oil changed every 5000 mls Mobil1 trans fluid every 30000 mls Honda brand the car has 100,000 mls now and is falling apart.IMO Honda built lemons from 1998-2002 and I will never buy another Honda product of any kind.
Hmmm....you base your decision not to buy another Honda on ONE SAMPLE. I suppose the millions of other Hondas on the road serving people well doesn't count. You bought yours used, and seem to have ignored the possibility that it was not a good car to buy. If it has 100K miles it needs a TB. So what? Wait till your M3 needs a fuel pump, or its power windows quit working.

On the other hand my family has six vehicles, four made by Honda. Our 2006 Pilot has 135K miles and has only needed tires, a battery, one set of brake shoes, and a power steering pump. Yet the TB was replaced on schedule. My 1997 NSX has 65K miles. Replaced its TB too. But as an exotic car with an 8000 rpm redline, I bet it has had less service than your M3. I am not a Honda fanboy. I just happen to have chosen these particular vehicles at the time.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 24,518 times
I have a Honda 4cy accord 1997 and a dealer has a special for timing belt replacement at $499 which includes the water pump & all belts ,the tensioner is extra if needed which should be replaced. I find the average price is $700.As others have said this job is labor intensified. You can watch a video on the WEB about replacement of a TB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura