Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:02 AM

26 posts, read 179,949 times

Advertisements

Hey forum!

Moved into a new to me house.

There's a funky smell coming from the show drain - shower is on the second floor. Any recommendations on how to treat for funky shower drain smell????

Thanks,
Wahoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
Pour some water in it. That will create a new seal to keep out the sewer gas.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
We used to dump pine oil in the drains in the heads when I was in the Navy. Now the smell of pine oil nauseates me--because I'm thinking, "They didn't REALLY clean this place up, they're just covering up the smell."

Old 06-11-2010, 06:40 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
I concur with what these guys said. And I think I'm going to head to Florida with a 55-gallon drum full of Pine-Sol - just because I can!

Anyway... If the water has evaporated out of the P-Trap in the shower, you're getting sewer smell coming out of it. Filling it with water (doesn't require much water) will take care of that.

I've also dumped some bleach down drains at times. It can really help clean things up. You'll probably want to do that before you leave for work in the morning, though. The whole house will smell pretty strongly of bleach for awhile.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:57 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
If filling the drain to be sure the seal is there, and the smell continues, I would get the plumbing checked to be sure there is not a break in the drain vent. There should be a drain vent that goes out the roof. If the drain P trap is full (water seal) and the smell continues, it could be the vent is not connected . It may smell like it is coming from the shower drain, but it could be the vent.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,797 times
I concur about the vent. This normally happens to the nearest drain to the vent if the vent is clogged. You could have an animal nest in the vent so you will need to check it by going up on the roof and shining a flashlight down there to see if something has nested in it. You can also run a snake line down from there to see if it is blocked down the line where you can't see.

How does the drain perform? If it drains well, then it isn't the drain but likely the vent.

You can also remove the shower drain cover and run a snake line through it to see what you come up against. If the drain pipe is clogged down the line, your drain will be running slow and the gasses will back up hrough the drain. Snaking it clear would solve that problem.

If the snake comes up clean, then it's definitely your vent. Locate it on the roof. It is either a black or white pipe usually located on the roof where the gasses from it will wick away in the air so it doesn't bother you on a porch or patio. It is quite easy to see. Sometimes if it is a single bath ranch type home, it is located right above the bathroom.

ALso if you find it is a small animal that has nested in the vent, after you remove the nest, place some metal screening over the vent and use a metal tournequet to hold it place by gradually tightening the screw to tighten the metal strap. You see these on hoses in car engines.

Good luck

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Most likely sewer gas, but one last item is if the drain has a build up of hair and other matter that is stinking.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:12 PM

178 posts, read 540,374 times
Also make sure there's no leaking into the flooring beneath the shower. If the wood is getting wet, rotting, and moldy, yeah, that stinks.

I also concur on the bleach idea. Bleach has its own stink but at least you know its cleaning and killing germs :->

Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 PM

185 posts, read 701,420 times
Pour a box of baking soda down the drain follow with 2 cups of vinegar and let it foam. In the meantime have a large pan of water boiling on the stove after about 15 minutes pour the boiling water down the drain. I do this about every 6 months anyway in all my drains. It will keep your drains clean and open.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
After verifying that there is nothing wrong with your seal or drain vent, use a drain unclogger, like Draino, before doing the other recommendations.

It's possible the drain smells because there is a lot of hair in the pipes catching stinky stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House