Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Circuit tracers can be bought for $20 - $30, plug in "transmitter" in the outlet and take the "wand" to the panel and touch it to each wire coming in to the panel.
that "ideal" brand circuit tracer you have pictured is analog and not worth the plastic its made out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM

56 posts, read 512,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
that "ideal" brand circuit tracer you have pictured is analog and not worth the plastic its made out of.
And what would you suggest?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
First, use a lamp rather than a meter to determine if the circuit is live. A multimeter has high impedance inputs and so if all other power points on the same circuit are off then the wires can pick up some voltage (not current) from nearby wires and so the multimeter will still show a voltage when it is just picking up these stray fields.

Next, It is possible but very rare that the two circuits have been wired in a loop. So turn all the circuit breakers OFF and then switch one on at a time.

If you live in a multi unit block. ie multiple residences in the one physical structure then maybe it is wired to someone elses fuse box?

It may be on a lighting circuit or even the hot water circuit so you have to switch those breakers off too. Overhere in Australia, you can get the electricity provider to install a box to control the electricity to the hot water heater. Then you pay less for the electricity and the electricity company only feeds power when its cheap. You are allowed to have one power point on that circuit to drive a deep freezer or such so maybe this rogue power point is on that type of circuit.

The next thing is if it is on no breakers then maybe it is not metered. Run you whole house off it and never pay for electricity again. woo. hoo.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:25 PM

56 posts, read 512,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betatester View Post
This is live by "lamp test" i.e. I had a lamp plugged in and it stayed lit throughout all the flipping and switching down in the basement.
That's what I did, live by "lamp test". There was an actual lamp there.

I like that non-metered idea , except no breakers and overloading = fire waiting to happen

Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betatester View Post
And what would you suggest?
digital circuit tracers are supposed to be the cat's meow; i haven't used one. i spoke to a rep from klein a couple weeks ago who told me they're about to release one that is "100% accurate". i'm not going to hold my breath on it though.

i have that exact unit that was pictured and its a piece of junk. i have purchased at least 4 different models of this circuit tracer from various manufacturers and none have worked as advertised.

tried-and-true method is with a tone probe, or just flipping breakers until your helper says "that's it!".

Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
digital circuit tracers are supposed to be the cat's meow; i haven't used one. i spoke to a rep from klein a couple weeks ago who told me they're about to release one that is "100% accurate". i'm not going to hold my breath on it though.

i have that exact unit that was pictured and its a piece of junk. i have purchased at least 4 different models of this circuit tracer from various manufacturers and none have worked as advertised.

tried-and-true method is with a tone probe, or just flipping breakers until your helper says "that's it!".

LOL! The cats meow! Good one grandpa. You ain't no electrician and this ain't rocket science requiring NASA Engineering. If you have bought 4 different tracers and none of them worked, I suggest you break out the instructions and read them, it might help as they do require a little bit of calibration as you get closer to the right wire.

This guy is simply trying to trace a 120V circuit back to the panel. Yeah he could spend $100, $250 or $1,000 on a better quality tracer but, it's likely he will never use this again so he would be wasting his money.

betatester, check out the reviews on amazon for the one I posted it will work just fine, don't forget to read the instructions. Any slightly intelligent person could figure out how to use one of these.

Amazon.com: Ideal 61-532 Analog Breaker Finder: Home Improvement

Circuit Tracers and Breaker Finders – Do they really work? | Electrical Installations & Repairs

How Circuit Tracers Work | DoItYourself.com

Old 06-18-2010, 04:32 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
You ain't no electrician and this ain't rocket science requiring NASA Engineering. If you have bought 4 different tracers and none of them worked, I suggest you break out the instructions and read them, it might help as they do require a little bit of calibration as you get closer to the right wire.
I am an Electrician and have been for over 25 years. 99% of those type circuit tracers are worthless junk. Including every single one made by Ideal. I refuse to have ANY test instrument by Ideal in my truck or on my jobs due to their lack of ability to give consistent, RIGHT test results. Fluke, Greenlee, or Kline are the ones I trust. None of the good ones are in the under $30 dollar range. "Closer to the right wire" doesn't cut it; THE right wire is what makes the grade.

Quote:
This guy is simply trying to trace a 120V circuit back to the panel. Yeah he could spend $100, $250 or $1,000 on a better quality tracer but, it's likely he will never use this again so he would be wasting his money.
Then why spend less $ on garbage that might work, when there are other free methods that are more accurate?

Quote:
betatester, check out the reviews on amazon for the one I posted it will work just fine, don't forget to read the instructions.
betatester, keep doing it with the lamp and save yourself the money over buying crap test instruments.

Quote:
Any slightly intelligent person could figure out how to use one of these.
That's just rude and totally uncalled for. Any person could figure out that when you DON'T see the pros using something that would make life faster and easier, then the best bet is that the item has proven itself to be unreliable.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I am an Electrician and have been for over 25 years. 99% of those type circuit tracers are worthless junk. Including every single one made by Ideal. I refuse to have ANY test instrument by Ideal in my truck or on my jobs due to their lack of ability to give consistent, RIGHT test results. Fluke, Greenlee, or Kline are the ones I trust. None of the good ones are in the under $30 dollar range. "Closer to the right wire" doesn't cut it; THE right wire is what makes the grade.

Then why spend less $ on garbage that might work, when there are other free methods that are more accurate?

betatester, keep doing it with the lamp and save yourself the money over buying crap test instruments.

That's just rude and totally uncalled for. Any person could figure out that when you DON'T see the pros using something that would make life faster and easier, then the best bet is that the item has proven itself to be unreliable.
I respect your opinion but in the interest of consumer research, I will buy the tracer in question and check it out for myself and post the result. (Delivery date, June 29th - July 2nd, cost $22.70).

Last edited by Ghengis; 06-18-2010 at 05:01 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
I respect your opinion but in the interest of consumer research, I will buy the tracer in question and check it out for myself and post the result. (Delivery date, June 29th - July 2nd, cost $22.70).
Good Luck with it. If it is the same quality as the one I had, you just tossed 22.70 down the toilet.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Good Luck with it. If it is the same quality as the one I had, you just tossed 22.70 down the toilet.
Well I'm just trying to do my part as an American consumer.
Hope we don't get into a nasty dialogue on the best way to remove a obstruction from my waste drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House