Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM

19 posts, read 71,492 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in a previous post, we're planning to have a house built and are thinking about upgrading the kitchen.

This is basically the "standard" layout and cabinet configuration:

http://pinnaclebuilt.com/images/plac...es/Kitchen.jpg

I happen to think that island is in the way, and would much rather see it turned 90 degrees and moved to the outside endge of the kicthen, but the SO likes it so....

Anyways, we love the idea of going with a built in cooktop and incorporating a real vented range hood above it. The problem is that if we do that, we can't figure out where to relocate the microwave and oven. We've thought about moving them right next to the refrigerator, but that seems to leave a weird "corner" space in the counter.

Any ideas on how best to incorporate a built in (single) oven and a microwave if we go the cooktop/range hood route?

We will definitely be speaking to the kitchen design contractors on this, but I just wanted to get some initial thoughts, I know there are some people here who are very knowledgeable on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls33 View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post, we're planning to have a house built and are thinking about upgrading the kitchen.

I happen to think that island is in the way, and would much rather see it turned 90 degrees and moved to the outside endge of the kicthen, but the SO likes it so....

Anyways, we love the idea of going with a built in cooktop and incorporating a real vented range hood above it. The problem is that if we do that, we can't figure out where to relocate the microwave and oven. We've thought about moving them right next to the refrigerator, but that seems to leave a weird "corner" space in the counter.

Any ideas on how best to incorporate a built in (single) oven and a microwave if we go the cooktop/range hood route?

We will definitely be speaking to the kitchen design contractors on this, but I just wanted to get some initial thoughts, I know there are some people here who are very knowledgeable on this subject.
The pic does not show enough for me to make a good assessment. But based on what I can see, do not put an oven cab next to a fridge. Never never never do that. I learned that in Kitchens 101 back in 1981. That don't mean builders don't do it anyway. Actually it ain't the builders, it's the dumb Architects that do it. They design buildings, not kitchens.

I can't tell where that sink is and if it is in front of a window which would prevent it from being moved closer to the back wall which would allow you to put the tall oven cabinet on the left side end. You didn't say if you want a double or single oven. Go for the single because they make a tall oven and micro combo tall cabinet. A single oven and micro can be separate units or you can buy a micro and single oven as one unit, either way they make a specific tall cabinet for these.

One word of advice. DO NOT let the Kitchen Designer put in a 30" oven cabinet. Insist they use a 33" or the poor Installer will be cutting the face frame all the way towards the outer edges and cutting all the staples. What this leaves you is the oven face is flush with the sides of the cabinet. You do want some face frame showing so buy a 33" wide by whatever height which by the picture looks to be 30" tall uppers which gives you a total height of 84".

If you simply must have a double oven then you have one choice where to put it since you put a hood over the cooktop. Most all major cabinet manufacturers sell an upper cabinet micro combo. They sell this 2 ways. One comes with 2 upper doors and a wide one size fits all opening below You would put a counter top model micro in this opening. The better choice is almost the same. You still have the upper 2 doors and below is an opening meant for a built-in model micro. These are nice, the are wide but not deep.

You can put the island on an angle, I see nothing wrong with that at all. It's a personal choice thing. I rarely recommend it but there is nothing wrong or ugly about it.

The cab above the fridge is wrong and useless. You have to put a double deep over it with what's called an REP...a refrigerator end panel so not only the fridge appears to be built-in but the cab above now becomes useful for us short people. The side panel will be the matching wood and color as you choose for your kitchen. I could show you a pic if you need be.

The pendant lights are very nice. I would like to see that corner wall cabinet rise above the rest. I can not see what's on the left side. If you need a pic I can show you that too. To me that is a must to make a plain kitchen exciting and full of charm. I love doing multi heights and depths.

Finally I do not see any crown molding. How can anyone do a new kitchen without topping it off with crown. Even small basic 3" crown is mandatory. Going to a larger 4.5" could be overkill or could be a big wow wow wow!!! You should also consider upgrading to a raised panel door. That flat panel is just blahhhhhhh....and cheap looking. Sticking with your maple there, upgrading from flat panel to raised panel for that sized kitchen could add about $900 total. Well worth the money.

Any further questions you are welcome to ask.

Make sure you consult with a CKD, NOT an Architect.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 AM

5 posts, read 5,053 times
Hello,

You have to upgrade your house at the top level. I am suggesting you an idea make your house with wood material and some glass . I will look nice.

thanks !

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-19-2010 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Mod Cut Link

Old 06-19-2010, 07:26 AM

The sink is indeed in front of a window, and we are looking to go with a single oven.

The main problem is that we don't know where to put the built in oven and microwave. If we don't put them next to the refrigerator.... where else can they go?

Is it possible to get the island on wheels? A set of locking castors or something?

The upper cabinets in the house will be a mixture of 36 and 42.

I love the idea of making the corner cabinets rise above the rest. I will be sure to work that in somehow if not cost prohibitive.

Part of the procedure is to visit a kitchen design shop who partners with our builder and work out the details, so we'll definitely be speaking with "pros" later on in this process.

Last edited by cls33; 06-19-2010 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The sink is indeed in front of a window, and we are looking to go with a single oven.

The main problem is that we don't know where to put the built in oven and microwave. If we don't put them next to the refrigerator.... where else can they go?

Is it possible to get the island on wheels? A set of locking castors or something?

The upper cabinets in the house will be a mixture of 36 and 42.

I love the idea of making the corner cabinets rise above the rest. I will be sure to work that in somehow if not cost prohibitive.

Part of the procedure is to visit a kitchen design shop who partners with our builder and work out the details, so we'll definitely be speaking with "pros" later on in this process.
If you put the oven cab on the sink wall to the left of the sink, how much room is left to the left of the sink? That end is the only place I can see it going.

You can take a standard cabinet and convert it into an island on wheels but you need some one highly skilled in common sense and a real craftsman to have the imagination to pull it off. I been doing it for many many years. I don't see the need to make your island roll.

If this oven/cooktop is what you have your heart set on then why not consider a slide in oven where the free standing oven already sits. A slide in oven is just like a free standing one except you actually have a cabinet in it's place and the oven slides right into the box. I just feel your plain layout does not compliment the use of an oven cab and cook top design. That don't mean you can not do it.

Good luck.................

Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the response desertsun!!

I think you're right, the layout of that kitchen is just not conducive to supporting built in appliances. As you mentioned, we could probably get creative and make it work, but I think we'd be forcing things and probably sacrificing some functionality.

It's probably a lot easier (and cheaper) to simply stick with the standard oven/range drop in. So I think we're going to just do that.

I do have my heart set on using a real vented range hood though, so we will have to get a little creative with microwave placement, but I think we'll figure that out when we speak with the cabinet designers.

You've also made me feel a lot better about the island. I sort of thought it was just in the way of the kitchen's workflow, I feel a lot better knowing a kitchen design pro doesn't see a problem with it.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:09 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
If you put the wall oven to the left of the sink, won't that kind of block that side of the kitchen making it look blocked off? How about putting the oven in the corner to the right of the range? That area is sort of dead anyway. I would be interested in hearing Desertsun's opinion on the option. I agree that the island is in the way in the picture but it will probably have to be smaller if oriented the other way.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you put the wall oven to the left of the sink, won't that kind of block that side of the kitchen making it look blocked off? How about putting the oven in the corner to the right of the range? That area is sort of dead anyway. I would be interested in hearing Desertsun's opinion on the option. I agree that the island is in the way in the picture but it will probably have to be smaller if oriented the other way.
The OP is long gone now but I can answer your question. You can put the tall oven cab in the corner. No manufacturer makes a corner oven cabinet so you would have to take a standard 33 wide by 24 deep box and place it on an angle. You lose a whole lot of usable cabinet space behind that box. This box will also have to be pulled forward to meet the side base cabs.

Yes placing the oven cab to the left of the sink kinda blocks the kitchen off a tad but it does make for a better more usable functional design.

Too bad the OP will never be back to let us know how they mad out.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:

We have a very similar kitchen layout. My fridge is in the middle of the wall, not right next to the pantry and I think my kitchen is larger. But the layout is similar. As someone else mentioned you can make the fridge look built in, and gain use of the cabinets above it by building a fridge depth cabinet over the fridge and have panels surrounding the fridge. If you don't do this the space above the fridge is useless.

We have a built in cooktop, with an oven below it and a range hood above it (make sure it vents to the outside). The microwave is in the island, facing the oven. It is a very livable layout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House