Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:17 PM

67 posts, read 178,413 times

Advertisements

I have an old house built roughly around 1912 or earlier. I've gutted the house and completely remodeled the inside and about to put on a new steel roof.
Now I discovered "most" of the sill beam is severely rotten! I'd rather deal with this before the roof since I plan on adding a porch when doing the roof.
I've done a lot of research on the subject of replacing a rotten sill beam and I feel really confident I can handle this with some help from family and friends. What I'm unsure about is whether I should replace the entire foundation or not.

There is no footer or any form of poured concrete. It looks like it was all built on granite blocks. The outside of the foundation looks like nice granite blocks laid directly on the earth. From the crawl space(inside) the blocks look rough and uneven. Meaning they put the nice side of the granite facing out.There is a small amount of cement in between the spaces of the granite and also just enough on top of the granite to make a level surface for the approx 6"X6" native timber sill beams.
The sill beams are severely rotten and have been scabbed over with cement on a couple sides of the house.
As I stated earlier, I've done lots of research on jacking things up, doing it in sections and how to reattach the joists and studs, etc. What I don't know is if I should jack it up and take all the granite out and dig and pour a footer then put in a concrete block foundation like a normal house, then replace the sill.
Do I need to consider a new foundation,,,, footer and all?
I certainly want it all to pass a home inspection in case I need to sell later.
Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Or I could bulldoze it all and build new, but that's another thread. I'm trying to weigh fixing vs new construction.
I'd sincerely appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 05:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Depending on local soil and climate I do not believe it makes sense to attempt to discard a foundation that has been solid for over a century...

Old 08-21-2013, 05:51 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Jacking up a house is really not for the inexperienced. Replacing a sill plate is one thing, but installing a new footing and foundation wall is quite another. My suggestion would be to get a professional opinion on the stability of the foundation, and if you really need to replace it. A step further is to have a professional do the work.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
I'd second that. And any attempt to remove and replace what's in there needs to take into account the reason why it rotted out in the first place. Wood in contact with stone / masonry. The crawlspace in general may have moisture problems as well.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Jacking up a house is really not for the inexperienced. Replacing a sill plate is one thing, but installing a new footing and foundation wall is quite another. My suggestion would be to get a professional opinion on the stability of the foundation, and if you really need to replace it. A step further is to have a professional do the work.
Hopefully the entire house wouldn't need raised at the same time. It seems that it could be done in sections, one wall at a time only raising enough to squeeze the new sill in after the new foundation is installed. Should it need replaced.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I'd second that. And any attempt to remove and replace what's in there needs to take into account the reason why it rotted out in the first place. Wood in contact with stone / masonry. The crawlspace in general may have moisture problems as well.
Very good points Steve. From inside the crawl space, the inside of the sill beam appears to be in excellent shape for the most part. The dirt is always dry in the crawl space, and none of the joists or floor are rotted.

The majority of the damage seems to be eminating from the outside. There's no flashing of any sort.
The backside of the house has a thick concrete porch built up against the house so that is one culprit. I have the idea that porch should be removed and replaced with a deck of some sort.

Along another wall is a section of old concrete porch and that is another culprit. That will need broken up and removed as well.

These are all things I know need taken into consideration. I just hate to replace the sill beam and years down the road IF I tried to sell, an inspector says the old stacked granite foundation is no good since it has no footer.

I'd rather do it all at once IF there's a need for it. It certainly is going to be a large project.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
The easy answer for the foundation- are the floors relatively straight and level? If so, don't mess with what ain't broke! Especially when it's seen a hundred years of God knows what!

Replacing sill "plate" is a relatively simple process when done in sections- the "fix" is using the right materials and procedures to achieve a dry, stable, and moisture shedding facade and foundation.

Oh, and some pics would help!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Which lasts longer... concrete or granite... I think you know the answer.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Which lasts longer... concrete or granite... I think you know the answer.
Sorry but I think my main question is: Which will pass a home sale inspection. Granite without a footer directly on dirt. Or a block foundation on a footer?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
We didn't need to replace our foundation. We would have needed professionals if that was necessary since our foundation is sandstone. I just wanted to give you encouragement for your confidence that you can replace the sill plate on your own. My husband and his friends successfully did it years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House