Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM

523 posts, read 2,905,212 times

Advertisements

I am trying to finalize my upgrade options in the house I'm building. I chose a 4 bedroom plan because I figured 4bedrooms would have greater resale value than 3 bedrooms. The thing is that the only difference between the 3 and 4 bedroom plan is the three bedroom is split in half to create the 4th bedroom so overall sq. ft. in the house remains the same.

Basically, I have the choice of 1 large bedroom or 2 tiny bedrooms. One is a 10X10 and one is a 9X9. I should also say that this is 2,200 sq. ft. townhouse and there are 3 1/2 bathrooms. There is one bedroom on the first floor where the garage is which could also be a rec room if not used as a bedroom. Also, the townhouse is located in an urban area, not a suburban area.

What do you think? Will the two small bedrooms add more to resale value than one big bedroom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,402 times
Nine by nine is pretty much a glorified closet. That's tiny even for just a single bed.

With respect to resale value, one important factor might be in assessing whether your townhouse community is geared to and attractive to older, established couples or to younger families.

If it's an "adult lifestyle" kind of area, then the extra bedromm likely wouldn't be as important.

Let's not forget to factor your own needs and comfort into the equation as well; you're just buying the place now, so one assumes you plan on living there a while.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:10 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I am trying to finalize my upgrade options in the house I'm building. I chose a 4 bedroom plan because I figured 4bedrooms would have greater resale value than 3 bedrooms. The thing is that the only difference between the 3 and 4 bedroom plan is the three bedroom is split in half to create the 4th bedroom so overall sq. ft. in the house remains the same.

Basically, I have the choice of 1 large bedroom or 2 tiny bedrooms. One is a 10X10 and one is a 9X9. I should also say that this is 2,200 sq. ft. townhouse and there are 3 1/2 bathrooms. There is one bedroom on the first floor where the garage is which could also be a rec room if not used as a bedroom. Also, the townhouse is located in an urban area, not a suburban area.

What do you think? Will the two small bedrooms add more to resale value than one big bedroom?
As I understand it it's the total square feet that count. So it should be the same. Personally I think you should design the house for how you are going to use it, if you would get more use and pleasure out of having two small rooms rather than one large then do it, but if not then go with the larger room. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times
My first thought was to abolish the 9 x9 bedroom; however, I would keep it and turn it into a guest bedroom, nursery, office, sewing/hobby - whatever the best purpose is for you. While small, it is amazing what you can do with a small space with proper arrangement.

I vote keep the 4 bedroom plan.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:40 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,038 times
With the 9x9, you could make a it a fun kid's room by giving it a nautical theme. Make a built-in platform bed with drawers underneath and furnish it with a yachting motif for adults or pirates for kids. Something like this:

Old 06-17-2007, 07:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Maybe it is different in other areas of the country but a 4 bedroom townhome is pretty unheard of around here. It might be a selling point but personally I would rather have 3 large rooms then the tiny ones. I would pass on a house with 4 small bedrooms if it were competing with a house with 3 large bedrooms all else being equal.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 PM

24 posts, read 118,637 times
If I were buying, I'd opt for the larger bedroom.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
In my part of the country, 2200 sq ft is big for a townhome, and 3 & 1/2 baths is unusual too....more like a house.

My instinct would be to go for the 4th bedroom.

Use the 9x9 as a study/office, media room, or a dedicated guest room...these things are all desirable at resale and still leave 3 'true' bedrooms. Even if you already have one office, a second can be highly desireable.

The real estate advice always says not to take bedrooms out of a home, it lessens the resale value. So I think it makes sense if you have the choice of 3 or 4 to go for the 4.

p.s.: Don't lose the closet in the 4th bedroom even if you "convert" the room to something else. You will need the closet later at resale if you want the room to be considered a bedroom.

My 2 cents, hope it helps .

Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,212 times
Thanks for everyone's comments on this! It sounds like just as many people suggest 3 bedrooms as 4 bedrooms. I got on my computer last night and played with the floor plan and I realized that in the bigger of the two small bedrooms, if I put a queen size bed in it, the only other piece of furniture I could fit would be a nightstand (and a double bed wasn't really any better). In the smaller of the bedrooms, it could be a den but not much else. There aren't any other dens in the house but there are a couple of sunrooms and and a sitting area in the master that could be all be den areas. I think I'm going with 3 bedrooms. I find the larger 3 bedroom so much usable (can actually fit in a bed, 2 nightstands, a long dresser and a tv in it!). Thanks again!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
And if you want to use it as a guest room/suite you can always get the partitions and put one in for a small sitting/reading area w/ two chairs or a chaise lounge. I'd ditch a 9x9 room in a heartbeat. Not big enough for a kids room, where are they going to play? Then small rooms packed full of furniture are a huge turn off. It only makes the room look that much smaller. The partitions made w/ rice paper are great as they allow light to flow thru and don't close off anything too much like a real wall would.

If you happen to have two kids that need to share the large bedroom you can put up a partition that is decorative to give them some "seperate" space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House