U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 AM

982 posts, read 3,189,988 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I have a do-it-yourself question that some auto-body folks (and techies) can hopefully answer.

I have inherited my mother's old laptop. Since I'm going to be completely making it over (erased the hard drive, etc.), I thought it would be a fun project to paint it. I've done some research, and vinyl dye is recommended (or the new Krylon Fusion paint). The case is a hard plastic, and it's painted blue (factory). Some sites I found said that the original paint should be stripped, and others said that sanding it lightly with 600 grade sandpaper would be sufficient, as the vinyl dye (or Krylon Fusion) will bond to the plastic anyway.

I am only going to paint the outside casing (not the keyboard area), so I'm not going to take it apart if I don't have to. My thought is that taping up the ports and seams should be fine.

Aside from sanding v. stripping, what brand of paint would you recommend? Also, what about a glossy topcoat?

Every site I found on the topic had different comments, so I'd like to hear from someone who may have tackled this (or something similar). Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:45 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 625,369 times
Kyrlon Fusion, in my opinion, would be your best bet. It has a bonding agent built into the paint for the plastic. I'm not sure about sanding it though, as the case is probably molded plastic and their really shouldn't be any paint to remove and you will have a tough time getting smooth enough again so the scratches from sanding won't show through the new paint. Just my $.02

Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,493,609 times
I wouldn't paint it...
I doubt that it will go back together correctly with the paint build up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House